Search

NYC Marathon Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Marathon Hotel?

Hi All -
I am running in the NYC Marathon on Nov. 4th, 2007. I am trying to decide between 2 hotels - The Blakely, or Affinia Gardens. Any feedback on either hotel or location? I am actually booked at the Affinia Gardens Nov 1-6 at a rate of $355/night. The Blakely rate I have is $369/night, so price is not an issue.

I'd like to be in a quiet area, with close proximity to the buses leaving from the Hilton New York.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 02:34 AM

The Blakely will put you much closer to the Hilton. It's only a block or 2 away. (I thought the buses left from the NY Public Library. Has it changed?) The Aff. Gardens is a lovely hotel, but not at all near the Hilton. It's near Bloomingdales and it's not far from where the runners come off the 59th st. bridge.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your feedback mclaurie. I am running as a part of Team ING, and the ING buses leave from the Hilton...I'm not sure about the other buses, although I have read about the NY Public Libary as a prior location.

Do you know if the rooms at The Blakely are a nice size? I hate to give up the one bedroom suite at Affinia Gardens, especially since it is also close to the 59th st. bridge. My husband will be with me in NY, and I know he will want to try to spot me during the run...that could be a good location for him!

Final question - how far is it really from Affinia Gardens to the Hilton? I will need to be at the Hilton by 6:45am to catch the bus (I'm sure I will want to arrive early too). Would it be best to take a cab to save my legs for the race, or is it close enough to walk?
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:58 AM

The Blakely also has 1 bedroom suites if that's a consideration. They're very nice. Here's the page that gives room sizes. http://blakelyhotelny.com/accommodations.html The only negative I've heard is poster TC here mentioned the a/c in the living room of the 1 bedroom suite is insufficient to cool. But the regular room is 310 sf (pretty decent size) and I believe all the rooms have kitchenettes.

To get exact distance between any 2 locations, go to hopstop.com and get directions for walking. Good luck!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:12 AM
GoTravel

seekfirst, go for the most comfortable hotel NOT one that is near the location you think you need to be at.

I am running my third ING NYC Marathon this year.

YES!! Take a cab to get to the shuttle at the Hilton. There will be zillions of cabs out that early because the marathon literally takes over the city and cabbies know they'll make money off us.

DON'T try and sightsee. I know everyone says that but if you do you'll end up walking and walking and walking. The time on my first marathon reflected this.

At most, park your butt of top of one of the Grayline tour buses.

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, GoTravel. That's a great reminder. I think I'm going to stick with the Affinia Gardens due to the large size of the room, full kitchen, quiet neighborhood, proximity to 59th st. for my hubby, etc. The Trip Adivsor reviews are great for both the Affinia Garends and The Blakely, so it made the decision harder for me. I'm just a planner and want my first NYC Marathon experience to be the best possible!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 09:37 AM
GoTravel

How wonderful!

I can honestly say that the entrance to Central Park (mile 21???) through Central Park, down Central Park West, back into the park and over the finish line is one of the most amazing experiences of my life!

It is really emotional!

The entire city rolls out the red carpet for this marathon and the runners! It is also the single biggest revenue generator weekend for NYC which is a huge deal when you think of celebrations like Thanksgiving, NY Eve, Fleet Week, Fashion Weeks, etc.

Get in and out of the Race Expo by noon on Friday. Don't even think about going Friday afternoon/evening or Saturday.

Don't walk around the city. Take cabs.

Friday night's rest is your most important night.

Stay out of Midtown and Times Square. The crowds are insane.

Don't eat at the Barilla Pasta dinner. Much better places downtown.

Overdress for Sunday morning. You can disgard your clothes along the way and they will be given to the homeless.

Does ING have a VIP tent? Make sure they have seating. If not, bring an inflatable bed or seat of some sort otherwise you may be stuck sitting on the cold wet grass.

Last year we took an air mattress, two sleeping bags, and a tarp and the four of us slept at Fort Wadsworth from 6:30AM to about 9AM and stayed dry and warm. We were some of the very few.

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 08:02 AM

i stayed at affinia gardens last month. great place no doubt. i booked it on
http://www.manhattanaccommodations.com
and the site had a 10% off coupon if you stayed more than 3 days. i dont have the link for it though. on there somewhere. good luck
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 08:43 AM
MaureenB

Another vote for Affinia Gardens as a very nice and well-managed hotel. We hosted a group of young women in a two bedroom/two bath unit for a special event last summer. It was perfect. The hotel even sent up a nice gift basket and wine for the celebrants.
>-

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Good luck marathoners!!

Is there any way we Fodorites can distinguish you in the crowd of runners? I always go and cheer from my neighborhood in Brooklyn (Park Slope, east side of 4th Ave), and sometimes then make it into Manhattan to cheer some more. Of course we always cheer for everyone, but it's so great when you spot someone you know!

ggreen
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Assume you husband will watch for you running up first Ave after coming off the bridge. Let him know to see anything he must get there EARLY - since that area is mobbed with people - packed from store fronts out to the police barricades. This is by far the most crowded area except just prior to the finish.

(Lots of people that live in that are have brundhc parties - watch the start of the race on TV and then pour out into the streets to see the runners as they pass.

To get in the front row you need to be there at least a couple of hours before the first runners cross the bridge.