Hotel Choice in NYC

Apr 9th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Choice in NYC

Hilton New York, Hilton Times Square, Doubletree GuestSuites or Waldorf-Astoria?
I have some free Hilton Points and need to decide which is the best bet? Which will have the largest room, perks, convenicnce, etc.
Apr 10th, 2006, 05:53 AM

I think this entirely depends on how many people are traveling, what you intend to do while in NYC and what your preferences are re: a hotel room.

The Hilton NY is a large, convention hotel. It is near the theatre district, but in a mainly commercial (office buildings) area. I'd rule it out. It isn't a bad hotel, by any stretch, but the others are preferable.

The Doubletree is all suites, smack in the middle of TS. If you plan to go to the theatre several times, it might be the ticket.

The Waldorf is a gorgeous, old world hotel. It may have the best perks, but is likely to have the smallest rooms. It is convenient to shopping, museums, etc, slightly less convenient to theatre (but not enough that I'd discount it for that reason). Of your picks, this would be my choice because it isn't in TS and says "old New York" to me, but many tourists want to be in TS.

Hilton TS I know nothing about.
Apr 10th, 2006, 06:01 AM

I'm not trying to be nit-picky but although i suspect the lobby and public areas of the Waldorf would be the most memorable, I wonder what shape the rooms might be in, multiple layers of paint, etc.

I know this aspect of things may not be an issue for you but have you looked at any TripAdvisor reviews for these properties? I don't think doing so would be such a bad idea.
Apr 10th, 2006, 06:44 AM

I've stayed at the Waldorf and would recommend it out of your choices. I stayed there last summer - the room I was in was quite large - it was a corner room which may have made it even larger. I've stayed in quite a few hotels in New York and this was my favorite - it definitely has an old New York feel to it - and the hallways are huge, which reminds me how long ago this hotel was built! It's a few blocks away from the theater district, but it was definitely worth the walk to stay in such a beautiful hotel. And the room was very nice, with super comfortable beds and a very nice bathroom. Hope that helps!
Jun 24th, 2006, 07:57 AM

I'm taking my daughter to NYC in July for her 21st Birthday. Have read the sites and everyone warns against wall to wall tourists in Times Square, hey, we're tourists, too. I'm leaning towards TS Hilton or TS Doubletree. Sounds more fun that the NY Hilton, and I have read other sites that warn against peeling paint at the Waldorf. Will we regret staying in TS? She wants to go to a Broadway Show, Regis & Kelli (probably too late to get tickets), and she wants to shop.
Jun 24th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Hi Mother/daughter! I have been to Live with Regis and Kelly several times and if you don't order ticketrs ahead of time you have to wait in the standby line. One suggestion, if you don't get into Regis and Kelly on standby, take a walk a few blocks over and you may get into The View. They also have a standby line and it is a much larger studio. My friends and I did this and sat very close to the front.
Jun 24th, 2006, 08:56 AM

If you want to be in Times Square, the Doubletree is a great option, much better imo than the Hilton TS. All suites, extra space etc. I also think the Hilton NY is a great location, near TS but not in it. So I'd chose b/w those 2 if you're using/accumulating points.
Jun 24th, 2006, 10:54 AM

I've stayed at the Hilton NY three or four times over many years, and I like it. Good location, but not too crazy as I find TS to be. Nice hotel, nice rooms, staff, etc.
Jun 24th, 2006, 11:14 AM

The WA isn;t filled with peeling paint. But it is old with all the good and bad that that implies.

(I know in many parts of the country new is automatically considered better. In NYC old is often better - for instance prewar - usually 1920's or earlier - apartments sell for more than much new ones - due to better construction, larger rooms, original parquet floors, high ceilings, etc - but you do then get old plumbing etc to deal with.)

So - it depends on what your taste is. The public areas of the WA are truly elegant. Rooms are good quality - unless everything "old" bothers you.

Than go for the Hilton TS - although you couldn;t pay me to stay in such a tacky area.

Jun 24th, 2006, 11:23 AM
amaclise

Why would you pass up the opportunity to stay at one of the world's most famous and memorable hotels - The Waldorf Astoria? It makes no sense to me.

Does it help that it is near Bloomindales and all that 5th Ave. has to offer?

Jun 24th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Thanks for all of the quick replies. Sounds like Hilton TS is not the place. Will definitely try for the View if we don't get tickets to Regis and Kelly. I just mailed out my request today with a note that it's my daughter's 21st birthday. This will be my daughter's first time out of "the South", so we're excited! Thanks again!
Jun 24th, 2006, 07:11 PM
GoTravel

I've stayed in all of your choices and this is my take.

Hilton TS: NO! Times Square is beyond packed these days. It is really hard to walk anywhere.

Doubletree TS: Its only redeeming quality would be the large rooms.

Hilton Sixth Avenue: Massive hotel, I think it is the largest hotel in NYC which equals huge convention hotel. Very sterile asthetic but the location is excellent for tourists. A very short walk to Central Park, Times Square and Rockefeller Center.

Waldorf=Astoria; One of the most famous hotels in the world and a true New Yorker icon. Public spaces are beautiful, rooms are very nice, and architecture is magnificent. It is also right behind Saks Fifth Avenue and fantastic Fifth Avenue shopping.

My choice, Waldorf=Astoria.

PS The rooms at the WA are always being taken out of reservations rotation because they always upgrade. They don't wait until the entire hotel is run down to do a hundred million dollar renovation.

Jun 24th, 2006, 07:39 PM

Thanks! We will definitely not stay at Hilton TS! Any other tips would be appreciated. I've only been to NYC for business and have never ventured out of my hotel room and meeting rooms. My daughter is majoring in Communications/Socialogy at Clemson University and loves art/theatre.
Jun 25th, 2006, 04:35 AM

You don't say how long your visit is, but if your daughter is majoring in communications, she might enjoy the Museum of the moving image in Queens. http://www.movingimage.us/site/about/index.html

Typical stops with those interests would include
>the Met Museum(open late Fri/Sat closed Mons)
metmuseum.org
>MOMA (closed Tues.)
moma.org
>Broadway and off Broadway show (try looking on broadwaybox.com for discounts you can buy in advance or use the TKTS booth - info at tdf.org/tkts

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a lot of fun and usually available on discount. Mama Mia is popular "chick" show. Altar Boyz is fun off Broadway. History Boys excellent drama.

>The Tenement Museum is very popular and should be booked in advance.
>try to walk the Brooklyn Bridge. Take a water taxi from South Street Seaport to Fulton St. Brooklyn and walk back to manhattan over the bridge for great views.

Bring comfy shoes and have a great time!
Jun 25th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the information! We're just staying three nights for a long weekend. Thanks again!