Search

NYC Hotel Help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Hotel Help

Hello,

I am trying to plan a weekend away with my mom for some mother/daughter time. We're planning a lot of the touristy stuff and possibly a show or two.

I have found some prices that look like good deals on travelzoo but don't know much about any of them.

Any feedback on the following would be helpful:
Shoreham
W Hotel NY
Millenium Broadway
Affinia Hotels (50, Dumont and Manhattan)
Westin Times Square
70 Park Avenue

Thanks in advance for all of your assistance.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:48 PM

Inevitably, when tourists complain that New York is crowded and loud, they stayed in Times Square.

As a New Yorker, I suggest you stay anywhere but Times Square (unless you're going solely for a theater weekend).
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:05 AM

I agree, anywhere but Times Square. You can read traveler reviews and see photos on www.tripadvisor.com. That always helps me in the decision making process.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:50 AM

lindsyb:

I have stayed with my daughter in one of their double/double rooms at 70 Park Avenue hotel. The two beds worked out perfectly for us. Lovely hotel - would stay again in a heart beat. You can walk to many of the shows.

Go to www.hopstop.com to print out walking/subway directions.

Enjoy NYC.

Sandy
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:52 AM

These are all decent hotels, so it will make little difference which one you choose. Some have rooms smaller than others. The only one I would actually tell you to avoid is the W Hotel NY; I just don't like it, and it's not up to the same standards as the other W hotels in NYC.

But I also strongly second the idea that you should get OUT of Times Square if at all possible. FOr that reason, I'd recommend one of the Affinia hotels or 70 Park Avenue.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help so far. I have found rates under $175 for rooms with two beds at these three hotels:

NY Helmsley
Affinia Dumont
Affinia 50

I know I probably need to jump quickly as these are fantastic rates but just wondering if any are better than the others.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 07:39 AM

I'd always choose the Dumont. The rooms have kitchens so you can have breakfast in, and it's in a great location. I really really like this hotel.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 08:10 AM

Just to be contrary , we stayed at the W New York in October and really enjoyed our stay. The room was small but newly redone and very well designed. The place has a really good vibe, we loved the location, the bed if, of course, a "Heavenly" bed, the bar in the lobby (not the club) is very nice, and the workers were all very pleasant.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Of those three choices I have stayed at the Dumont and liked it. Yes, you better jump on it for that price.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 09:36 AM

Doug, I'm curious why you thought it was not up to par with the other W's?

We stayed frequently at the Court and the Tuscany and only ended up at the W NYC one weekend after the others were booked solid.

Ever since then, this is our fav hotel.

We find the vibe, the bar and the location to be far superior to the others.

This W is also more in line with W's in other cities.

I certainly recommend this hotel....but not on the weekends I'm going to be there...ha...don't want it overbooked so I can't stay!

The only complaint I had was with the concierge who I was not very pleased with his recommendations...so now we do our own research.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM

It's not a bad hotel by any neams. But that hotel has particularly small rooms, and every single time I've had to interact with the staff there (to visit friends, to eat in the restaurant, etc) I've had a difficult experience. I'm glad to hear that they have renovated the rooms.

And it just doesn't compare for me to the W Union Square, which I think is the best of the lot. I have not seen the rooms at the W Times Square, however.

The Tuscany and Court are actually my favorites for rooms. MOst of them are much bigger than average and are nicely done.