Redeeming AMEX Gold Rewards on Airline Tickets

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to get a reward ticket thru AMEX reward service online and it was like 100K points. I know it will be less points if dealing directly with the airline. Someone once mentioned you can go directly to the airlines and ask for a reward seat.

Can someone tell me how this is done?

Thanks a lot!!
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 02:09 PM

There are three main ways to use AMEX Membership Rewards for plane tickets. One is to transfer the points (usually 1:1) to one of the airline's frequent flyer programs first, and then you claim the awards through the airline. For example, you can transfer points to Delta, Continental, Air Canada, Jetblue, AirTran, Southwest, AF/KLM, and so on.

Second is that for some airline, there are specific rewards like 50,000 points for a roundtrip ticket to Europe on Swiss International, or 80,000 points to Tahiti on Air Tahiti Nui.

Keep in mind awards for these above are limited. You should check with the airline (for option 1) or AMEX (for option 2) before transfering the miles or claiming the tickets.

The third way is to "Pay with Points". You book with AMEX's Travel Website for whatever flight (and hotel and etc) and then you claim with points. In general, you'll spend more points this way, but seats are not limited. As long as one can buy those seats with cash, you can also pay with points.

Log on to your AMEX account and then clink the link on Membership Rewards. It'll tell you all the options.

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...=Airlines&No=0

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 02:15 PM

rkkwan has given a very clear explanation of Amex's rewards program options.
If you tell us exactly what you are trying to get, perhaps we can give you some specific advice.
To deal directly an airline, you must be a member of its frequent flyer program.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM

What I found out from an AmEx operator when trying to pay with points is that when you are ready to make your purchase find the flight you want without logging in and then later in the transaction it will give you a box to check and the website will log into your account and check your points and give you the option to pay with points.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Jed

As rkkwan says, for "Pay with Points", <In general, you'll spend more points this way.>

Actually, it is a lot more points. Many of us don't think it is worth it.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your responses!! This is very helpful.