Jul 13th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Sedona / G Canyon / Moab

A friend and I will be taking a guided tour of this area in September

We will be staying at these resorts
Amara Creekside Resort - Sedona
The Grand Hotel - Grand Canyon
Red Cliffs Lodge - Moab

Most of our meals are included but we will have 1 lunch, 1 dinner in Sedona and 1 dinner in the Grand Canyon on our own. We will also have 1 lunch on our own while at Red Cliffs Lodge

Can anyone recommend some places we can look at? Are reservations a must for dinners in this area? We will not have our own car as we will be on the tour. My friend is a vegetarian

Thanks for any suggestions

Jul 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM

From a trip report I did last year on Moab:

"Pasta Jay's proved to be the best place to eat. We had a good pizza and those around us had food that looked and smelled great! It was busy, a good sign in my book."

we had lunch at Eddie McSkiff's and it was ok. However, not long after we both were feeling less than great...very upset stomachs. Not sure if it was the food [we ate different things]but not sure I would go back there anytime soon.

Poplar Cafe was really poor! We had their prime rib special - ick! Meat was overcooked [we ordered medium and it was well past "well"] and dry and almost 50% fat. {Pup got a treat when we came home}. The veggies were canned and the entire meal was blah. There were only a couple of other patrons there, not a good sign.

Hope this helps..
Debi
Jul 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM

I just saw that Red Cliffs Lodge is 14 miles north of Moab. Without a car, I am not sure you will be able to get into town easily. They appear to have places to eat on property.
Debi
Jul 14th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks

Anyone eat at El Trovar? Was it worth it?
Jul 14th, 2007, 09:38 AM

El Tovar is definitely a great place to eat at the Grand Canyon. We ate there at lunch when prices are lower. It looks as though they have a few vegetarian options Dinner reservations are probably a must. However, El Tovar is in the GC village, quite a distance (I think maybe 6 or 7 miles from Tusayan where the Grand Hotel is located. Unless you can find some transportation there from Tusayan El Tovar won't work

I wasn't impressed with Tusayan dining options the one night we stayed there. Sorry not to have more to offer.
Jul 16th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you
Aug 4th, 2007, 03:13 PM

We just returned from our family vacation last week. The last day was spent in Sedona. We enjoyed lunch at Amara's -- it's a mexican restauarant. The food was good and the portions plentiful. We ate dinner at the Cowboy's Club. We tried appetizers that consisted of rattlesnake, buffalo and cactus fries, but for our main courses we stuck to more traditional foods. The food was good (except for the rattlesnake for me) and so was the service.
Aug 5th, 2007, 07:06 AM
emd

There is a good vegetarian restaurant in Sedona for your lunch if you want to treat your friend to good vegetarian. It is at the corner of 89A and Dry Creek Rd.

http://www.dlishsedona.com/

For your dinner, consider Pizza Picasso. Great food for a vegetarian and for you. Nice atmosphere.

http://www.picazzos.com/

I'd skip Cowboy Club- it is not a good choice for a vegetarian.

Another mexican restaurant in walking distance to your hotel is Oaxaca. Nice upstairs balcony space overlooking the red rocks.

If you can get to Tlaquepaque center (it's walkable), there are dining options there, and good shopping and galleries. IN particular, for fine dining, Renes always has at least two vegetraian option for dinner, a pasta (usually a homemade ravioli- the pumpkin one is great) and a creative tofu dish. And there are many great dishes there for a non-veg. Nice Spanish style plaza to walk through and enjoy. There is often outdoor entertainment.

http://www.tlaq.com/

Thai Spices has good thai food for both of you but it is also a bit west on 89A.

Aug 5th, 2007, 07:15 AM
emd

You'd need a reservation at Renes.

fyi, there are a couple of taxi companies in Sedoan, like Bob's and Sedona Taxi and Casey's Cab.
Aug 5th, 2007, 10:37 AM

In Sedona, I will second Picazzo's Pizza. Outstanding salads!!
For lunch (and breakfast) or for just a snack, we find ourselves visiting the Wildflower Bread Company several times on every trip. They have a variety of baked items (scones, muffins) but also have a good selection of sandwiches, some soups, a couple pasta, and a few breakfast items. It is on the line of Panera Bread but I like Wildflower more. DH loves their Wildflower iced-tea(passion fruit flavored).
http://www.wildflowerbread.com/