Notices

NYC Itinerary - feedback pls?

Old Aug 31st, 2010, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Itinerary - feedback pls?

Hello all,
I am in NY for 5 days and here is my plan.

Sept 13 - Arriving ar 2pm
Evening at central park?
Sept 14 - All day - Met
around 5pm head to Empire state building for a sunset view
Sept 15 - 8am Statue of Liberty
hopefully will be back by 2pm to go for a walking tour - Lower Manhattan with nycbyfoot.com
I would like some help with planning the trip to statue of liberty - should I buy the New Yok City pass, or book the tickets separately? How is the Staten ferry different from the Statue cruises? What should I take?

And is 4-5hrs enough to complete it given the security requirements?

Sept 16 - Walking tour - Middle Manhattan again with the same folks
After which - Natural history Museum for rest of day
Sept 17 - 10am -3-Hr. Full Island Cruise
2pm - walking tour - Greenwich village

Am doing this solo...planning to use the subway & walk - a LOT. First time visitor to NY hence the touristy nature of the trip
Does this plan seem sensible?

Any thoughts & suggestions will be appreciated ...

Thanks!
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 03:21 AM

Id recommend Top of the Rock over the ESB as its easier to manage the lines and you get a tremendous view of the ESB. Also, based on posts here, the 3 hr boat tour is a waste of time and you see all of the main sites on the 2 hr tour.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 04:16 AM

I wouldn;t spend the evening in Central Park. Given the time it gets dark you won;t have much time to see/do things there - much better seen during daylight.

For Statue of Liberty you MUST buy tickets for the Statue and the ferry from the Park Service - but you may already be too late since they sell out weeks in advance. If you want to go inside the statue grab tickets for any time they have left. If you are willing to see it from a distance you can take the free Staten Island ferry anytime (it runs every 15 or 30 minutes 24/7). The Park Service ferry goes TO Liberty Island, you get off, can see the statue up close - and can go inside IF there are any tickets left for that. The Staten Island ferry is a commuter service for people that live on Staten Island and gets a fairly close view of the Statue but does NOT got to Liberty Island.

Do Top of the Rock rather than ESB - it will save hours waiting on line for elevators since you can get advance timed tickets.

IMHO you are tkaing too many tours.

Just pick where you want to go and do it. One tour is OK - other wise your visit is being filtered by someone else's view - and you are spending too much time looking at the outside of things.

The 3 hour boat ride is too long - take the 2 hour one instead - you see the same major sights.

Do not buy any "Pass" - they are not worth the money - and when they say they get yu into places they just mean you have a ticket and don't wait on a ticket buyers line - you still have to wait on entrance or elevator lines with everyone else..
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for those tips!

I am doing the tours because I thought it would be better to do it guided rather then wander about alone trying to make sense! Maybe just Greenwich Village? Or any of the other ones?

And what do suggest in the second half of the day I arrive..should I maybe do Times square to see it in its full neon glory ..or as a friend suggested, the Union Square?

I would love to add to the itinerary MoMa & th Guggenheim Museum ..but dont want to overdo the museums

Anything else you think I must see? Dont have anyone I know in NY - so am a bit at loose ends in the evenings..unless I get to know people in the hostel I am staying...would you have any suggestions (fun & safe for a solo female traveller!)

Another thing I would appreciate help is what kind of places I must go for vegetarian food?

Thanks again!
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 05:51 AM

If you decide to add MoMA, then there IS a combination ticket that might work well for you: MoMA + Top of the Rock. It costs $30 (separately you would pay $41 total for these two) and can be purchased at TOTR or MoMA.

The Guggenheim is a relatively small museum that features changing exhibits and a very small permanent collection. It is expensive to visit, so I would verify that the exhibit is actually one of interest to you before paying to enter. The building itself is interesting, but you can experience it a bit from the lobby without actually paying to enter—this may be adequate for you.

Where is your hostel located?
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ellenem, am staying at HI at Amsterdam Avenue West. That combo ticket seems like good deal ...
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 06:19 AM

I think the walking tours are nice, and you should do a couple if you like. Lower Manhattan is really very interesting, and you should get a lot out of a tour guide telling you about the architecture and history. If I were to pick one, that is the one I would choose. Another option while you are down there is to see the Tenement Museum or the Merchant House Museum both of which give you some city history.

We used Big Onion Walking tours, and think they are quite good. So if the schedules work better for you, you might check them out.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:29 AM

If you are staying at the Hosteling International - which gets good reviews - I think you will find that they are so large they often sponsor their own tours and activities.

Also, suggest you get a street map and a subway map and learn about the city now - so it's esier to get around/

Amsterdam Ave is on the upper west side - but there is no Amsterdam Ave WEst - you need to know what steet you are at (103rd) and also the addres number.

The first afternoon I would go up the Top of the Rock - to get an oveview of the City and see it in both daylight and at night. So - go up shortly before sunset. (You can buy timed tickets for whenever you want - and no lines like at ESB). You culd combine this with a look at Rock Center, St pat's and Times Square -which are all within a few blocks.

For info on Central Park and what youmihgt want to see/do there have a look at the web site of the Central park Conservancy. You should know this is not a "park" in the european sense (lawns, paved walks, massed flowers etc). There are a bunch of differnt areas, a lake, a resevoir and large parts are hilly, rocky (large boulders) and heavily wooded - although they do have lots of athletic fields, some large meadows etc.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 06:28 AM

My suggestion for the Statue of Liberty, it is only worth it to me, if I get access. I hardly think it's worth the trip for just the ground. The Crown, is unavable to you. But see if any monument passes are left. You are underestimating time here, in my opinion. And a visit to Ellis Island is worth at least a short stop.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:33 AM

If you can get tickets for the base of the SOL you need to allow at lest 7 hours - for the ferry (security is like airline and takes about 45 minutes) , ferry trip, line on Liberty Island, tour of the Island and base of the statue, wait for ferry, ferry to Ellis Island (which is brilliant and well worth a couple of hours), then another ferry back to Manhattan.

If you can;t get a ticket to get into the Statue you can get a good view of it - and a great view of the Manhattan skyline coming back - by doing a roundtrip on the Staten Island ferry. This is free and will take about 1.5 hours total.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks nytraveler for your suggestions. Will check out the Central park website and plan a morning there.

BudgetQueen, I have just booked a pedestal/museum ticket as the crown access (as you rightly pointed out) is unavailable.
Am i right in thinking this entails entry into the monument?

I was hoping if I left at 8am I should be able to be back by 1pm. But now I shall allow for a longer spillover into the day. I guess I have to rethink my plans for the day...

Many thanks again for all your inputs
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:38 AM

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes,pedestal/monument gives you entrance( via a second security check) to the monument, it's excellent museum, and the ability to go up to the top of the pedestal.From the pedestal you can look up inside the statue and see the framework designed by Eiffel.Allow enough time for the museum and pedestal and for the wonderful museum exhibits at Ellis Island.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:17 AM

More thoughts: Central Park is indeed huge, and has many different kinds of sites to see. You would do well just walking aimlessly, but I'd recommend taking a look at this map http://www.centralparknyc.org/maps/ and picking out some spots to aim for. There is, actually, a formal manicured garden, called the Conservatory Garden, up around Fifth Avenue and 105th Street. But I wouldn't call necessarily that one of the more special destinations. I'd recommend that you make sure to see the Bethesda Fountain, which is really the centerpiece of the park (there are bathrooms there, btw), and then walk over the picturesque Bow Bridge into the Ramble. The Ramble is a lovely wooded area that's frankly bucolic, although the paths are paved. The paths branch every fifty feet or so, but pretty much any you go, you'll end up somewhere nice. If you figure it out right, you could come out right near the Museum of Natural History. Do get out of Central Park before nightfall. Some parts are heavily populated by joggers for several hours after dusk, but other parts are totally deserted except for unspeakably dangerous characters. There's no need to make yourself figure out which is which!

I'm not an expert on vegetarian food. The classic recommendation is to look for Indian and/or Italian restaurants. But one good strictly vegetarian place that's on the Upper West Side is Cafe Blossom: http://www.blossomnyc.com/site/ And if you're in the Upper East Side (perhaps visiting the Guggenheim or Metropolitan Museums), consider this place: http://www.candle79.com/ I'm an omnivore, but I've enjoyed Cafe Blossom and the Candle Cafe (unless I'm being fooled by a marketing trick, I think Candle Cafe is the original restaurant affiliated with Candle 79, and located a little farther east).

I agree that you should skip the Guggenheim, unless you really want to see whatever temporary exhibit is there. Maybe just look at the building from the outside. My favorite museums are the Metropolitan Museum, Museum of Natural History, and the MoMA.

You should definitely buy a metrocard and get comfortable taking subways around. They cover a lot of ground quickly. There are some tips on taking the subway here http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._New_York.html and here http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...way-system.cfm
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM

If you go to menupages.com you will find there are 174 vegetarian restaurants in Manhattan. I'm not so can;t make specific recos. this is in addition to the vegetarian dishes you will find in Indian, Italian or Chinese restaurants - which are on practically every block.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM

not sensible at all. Why go to Central Park at night? This aint Vegas. CP is dark and real scary as the freaks come out at night.
Why not view NYC from TESB during the day? This aint Hawaii, so no need to view the sunset.
Why walk around NYC at all? Buses and subways all over. It's a real waste of time. I'd only walk across the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan, then walk over to Manhattan Bridge and walk over it back.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for pitching in. Much appreciate. Am leaving tomorrow for the US. Hurrah
apart from NY, will be visiting Boston, Washington, Chicago, LV and SF! Hoping all goes well
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 05:15 AM

Enjoy it. Good time of year to visit so have fun.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 05:34 AM

You note spending an entre day at the Met. Although one can easily do that - I would say - you are overdoing a museum visit. Two to three hours at the museum shouldbe more than adequate without subjecting yourself to overload. Select areas of the museum that interest you - and stick to those - and/or take a guided tour - you'll pick up info that otherwise you'd never know (the tours are free). Some favorite highlights of the museum: the new Greek and Roman galleries, the Petrie Court, Impressionist collection, Ancient Egypt, see the Gubbio Studiolo (off the Medieval Sculpture Court) one of the great treasures of the Italian Renaissance - a masterpiece in creating the illusion of three dimensionality in intarsio (inlaid wood). Try - AM - at the Met - lunch and PM in Central Park (just behind the museum) - lunching at the Boathouse.