3 Day NYC Itinerary - yay or nay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My husband and I (30 somethings) are heading to NYC for a short three night stay in early September. He's never been and it's been 15 years since I've been there. We are traveling without our toddler so we want to see a lot in a fast-paced trip. Also, I'd rather plan stuff out ahead if possible rather than wait in line for stand-by tickets. Here's the itinerary we are thinking:

Wed - arrive LaGuardia around 2 pm; take taxi to Manhattan hotel; maybe do a little walk about (NBC Studios Tour?) and get the lay of the land. See "Wicked"
Thurs - do Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty tour (emphasis on EI, not SOL); tickets to TV taping (if we can get them)
Fri - All Day "Real New York Tours" tour (hits all the big touristy highlights); Mets evening game
Sat - ? open - Depart on 8 pm flight

Anyone see any major problems with this itinerary? Any suggested changes? I know we should do the tour first but it's not offered til Friday. Also, I know it's an ambitious itinerary but we don't know when we'll be able to get back.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 01:37 PM

If you're in the Rockefeller Ctr area, you can visit Top of the Rock for the views.

Dunno why you'd fly all the way to NY and blow a night in Queens just to see a minor league baseball team. Depending upon how "early" in September, you may also have to deal with the tennis crowds from the US Open that night.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 02:08 PM

I don't like going to the theater on Wed. night after the performers have done a matinee. Also, if your plane is delayed at all, going the first night of the trip could be dicey. I see no problem going on Thurs or Fri. night. Wicked regularly sells out so buy tickets now. If you really intend going to SOL/Ellis Island, book that NOW on statuecruises.com and try to make the first ferry of the day when the waits are shorter. The NBC tour is not what I'd pick out of all the options open to you. Top of the Rock, MOMA, the public library, a walk in Central Park would all be my preferences.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 02:52 PM

I don't think it's too ambitious an itinerary. Actually, it seems kind of open to me.

Most people who want to take tours do so precisely to "get the lay of the land" and decide which sites they want to see in depth later. Are you wedded to the idea of a tour? What sights on the tour are you hoping to see? It might make more sense to pick the places you want to cover and just see them independently on Friday and Saturday
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 04:34 PM

Well, obviously you should see the Yankees rather than the Mets - but I assume they're out of town.

For Wicked get your tickets now - it's already kind of late.

Same for the SoL. EVen if you don;t want to visit the statue - but just see from the ferry and go on to Ellis Island (which is brilliant) the lines for the ferry are still very long. Buy tickets for the ferry now- and realize that even with tickets there is still an airline-type security line (the Park Service recos allowing 45 minutes).

I have heard only poor things about the NBC tour but haven;t taken it.

Add Top of the Rock and do visit one of the major museums - even if only 1 or 2 departments. (At the Met I love the Costume Institute, Impressionists, Temple of Dendur/Egyptian section and the American Federal home.) But if you prefer you can do MoMA or Natural History or one of dozens of others.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 05:39 PM

By "early" Sept do you meanthe days before Labor Day weekend or the days before the 10th anniversary of Sept 11th?
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 06:29 PM

I've taken the NBC tour and unless you're a huge SNL fan; I don't think it's that great. The tour of Radio City Music Hall was much more interesting to me for its history and architecture.

Ellis Island is great and if you're interested in immigrant history, don't miss the Tenement Museum.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! A few follow ups:

1. We are traveling Sept. 7-10 -I know this is a crowded time but it's my husband's (non-negotiable) vacation time.

2. Yes, the Yankees are out of town.

3. @mclaurie - I share your same concerns about flights delays and the possibility of missing a Wednesday show. I'm thinking about looking at a Thursday show instead.

4. Agreed - I want to nail down tickets ASAP. I was thinking about using StubHub for Wicked tix. I've used them before for other things and they've worked out OK.

5. We're not really museum people but I do like the idea of the Top of the Rock.

6. As for a tour, I just thought it would be the most efficient way to see the big touristy highlights. I wanted something for our first day there, but all of the companies I looked at only have Friday tours. According to the website, here's what we'll see (6 hr walking/subway tour):

TIMES SQUARE
MTV Studios, ABC Studios, NBC Studios, The New Amsterdam Theater, Hell's Kitchen, Fire House Engine 54, Site of New Years Eve Celebration

ROCKEFELLER CENTER
The GE Building, The Rockefeller Ice Skating Rink, Radio City Music Hall, Paul Manship's Prometheus, The Plaza of the Today Show, NBC Studios.

SAINT PATRICKS CATHEDRAL

CENTRAL PARK
Strawberry Fields and The Dakota, Bethesda Fountain, Bethesda Terrace, The Rambles, The Mall, Sheep's Meadow, and the site of the Rocking Chair Riots.

GREENWICH VILLAGE
The Friend's TV show building, Marie's Crisis (The site of Thomas Pain's Death), Arthur's Tavern Jazz Club where Charlie Parker played, Emma Goldman's residence, Grove Court, Chumley's Restaurant, and other sites which reference Woody Allen, Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Pryor, Bette Midler, Hart Crane, O' Henry, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, etc.

WASHINGTON SQUARE PARK
The Row Houses, Edith Wharton's home, Henry James Home, Will Smith's Home from "I am Legend," The Washington Memorial Arch, The Triangle Shirt Waist Factory, Scenes from " When Harry Met Sally.”

SOHO
The Haughwhout Building, The Old Police Headquarters, Heath Ledgers last home, and of course all the great shops and boutiques.

LITTLE ITALY
The Stabile Bank, Church of the Transfiguration, Old Saint Patrick's Cathedral, Ferrara's, and much more.

CHINATOWN
The markets on Mott Street, The CCBA, Port Arthur's Restaurant, Pell Street, Joe's Shanghai, The Bloody Angle and more.

THE SOUTH STREET SEAPORT
Schermerhorn Row, The Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge and Williamsburg Bridge, The Fulton Ferry Landing where George Washington made his famous escape during the American revolution, Pier 17 shops.

WALL STREET
Federal Hall National Memorial, The New York Stock Exchange, The old Bank of Manhattan Building, Trinity Church

GROUND ZERO / THE FORMER WORLD TRADE CENTER SITE

Thanks to all for your input.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 06:47 AM

The tour sounds like seeing Belgium, Russia, and South Africa in three days.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 08:13 AM

The tour sounds great, hits all the major sights. It's an efficient way for a first timer to get the lay of the land in a show period of time.

I see it's a walking/subway tour, not sure how that works but I guess it will be more in-depth than a bus tour.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 08:20 AM

Don't see how the tour can show you all that in 6 hours...
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

I'm not sure either but it's one of the top rated TripAdvisor tour companies (Real New York Tours). Upon further reading, I think some of those sights are bad weather options. I'll do some more research.

Regarding Top of the Rock:

Do we need timed tickets? Not sure what time to book if so as we won't be arriving to city til 3 or 4.

Also, has anyone used Viator to book TOR tickets? Appears to save a few bucks...
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 09:23 AM

I too think the tour is ambitious, but the real issue I think is that it's not for the day you arrive,. After 2 days here. you will probably have passed half the locations mentioned anyway. A general tour makes sense mostly as an introduction not a later overview (in my opinion)

Which of the sights/areas of the tour really interest you the most? If you pick a few, you can visit them in the same amount of time as the tour takes

Also, some of the listings are a bit too specific and really just refer to things pointed out, not places you will go into or visit. For example, once you are in Times Sqaure, that IS the location of the ball drop. Just look up at the tall building at 42nd st, and there it is. No need for a tour
You will also have no trouble finding the ABC studios as there are giant illuminated signs. (MTV studio-- is that even still active? They used to do TRL there until a couple years ago).
Most of the sights in the Rockefeller Center listing would seem to involve standing at the edge of the skating rink and pointing to the building and the statue and then walking around the corner passing the Today Show plaza and Radio City.

If you are interested in certain themes (history, TV shows and movies, literary) there are great walking tours that cover certain neighborhoods (like Greenwich Village or the Financial District) in depth. You would typically spend at least one hour covering a small area. The tour you have described sounds like you'll just have time to have things pointed out and then move on.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I did a little more research and it appears that our can't miss list of sights can (maybe?) be divided up into downtown and uptown:

Uptown:
• Times Square
• Rockefeller Center (The Rockefeller Ice Skating Rink, Radio City Music Hall, The Plaza of the Today Show, NBC Studios)
• Grand Central Terminal
• St. Patrick’s Cathedral

Central Park

Downtown
• The Brooklyn Bridge
• Wall Street
• New York Stock Exchange
• Ground Zero/Former Site of World Trade Center

Maybe we could find a shorter tour (2-3 hours) for either up or down town and plan to see the rest on our own en route to the Ellis Island ferry? Or maybe the Broadway show?
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 01:04 PM

leeni8 , your midtown sights ("uptown" in NYC usually means abopve 59th street)are indeed very close to each other. Do you feel like you'd benefit from a guide showing you from place to place? Radio City Music Hall has/had a great tour of the building if that interests you, and Grand Central has some [free?}tours too, You'd have to check the schedules.

In Rockefeller Center, obviously you won't see the skating rink since it's summer. There's a restaurant there other times. If you do the NBC tour that you said you might do on the first day, that is literally right there. The NBC/GE building is the one you'll see when you're facing the "skating rink" and Prometheus statue. A decent map or guidebook can easily direct you to St Patrick's a block or so away. I think tours can be great, but it seems like on your own you'll be walking past the exact same locations!
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 03:02 PM

We did the Top of the Rock and didn't need to book it ahead. We just showed up, and there was a relatively short wait to buy a timed ticket. We liked it better than the Empire State Building and even saw a proposal while we were up there.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 07:58 PM

This has nothing to do with the OP herself at all but does anyone else think it's weird that there is a tour going by Heath Ledger's building where he died? That whole incident was very sad and it's really just an apartment/loft building in Soho like all the others that are there.

I live in NYC so I don't do these tours, but I really don't get why tourists don't just walk around the various neighborhoods and experience the life of a resident.

The Wall Street tour sounds most interesting and Grand Central is really amazing but BUSY.

Have fun!
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

@Skiergirl - I agree totally about the Heath Ledger comment. Sad and kinda creepy.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 01:27 PM

@Skiergirl - I agree totally about the Heath Ledger comment. Sad and kinda creepy.
________
Wait until you see the tour guide, his make-up is all smudged and off-center
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

OK thanks everyone for your suggestions. Here is our revised itinerary, with just a few more questions:

Wed, 9/7- arrive LaGuardia around 2 pm; take taxi to Manhattan hotel; get settled; do Top of the Rock around dinner time- maybe walk around Times Square; grab pizza

Thurs, 9/8 - Morning: Midtown Manhattan tour (Free Tours by Foot); Afternoon: Uncle Sam's Heroes of the World Trade Center Tour (I feel drawn to dedicate some time since we will be there right around the 10th anniversary but memorial doesn't open til after we leave); "Wicked" in the evening

Fri, 9/9- do Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty tour (emphasis on EI, not SOL); maybe see a little of Financial District on way back. Mets game in evening (sorry Yankees out of town and we are National League people!)

Sat, 9/10 - open day; Central Park, relax or go back to other attractions we missed. Depart on 8 pm flight

So final questions:
1. What's best way to plan out transportation ahead of time? Does the subway system have any trip planner help? I am planning to use the subway but so intimidated!
2. Food suggestions for Wednesday night near Rockefeller (laid back pizza place); Thursday before Wicked and maybe a nicer meal Saturday?
3. We have tickets for all but Top of the Rock (do I need that now?), World Trade Center tour and Mets game (don't think that should be a problem, right?)

Thanks so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -