Reload this Page >

Surprise NYC trip - Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty

Notices

Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a surprise trip to NYC for my husband's 30th birthday. A lot of people on this forum recommend viewing the Statue of Liberty from the ferry but only getting off on Ellis Island. That sounds like a great plan BUT I don't know if my husband would like to see the SOL up close, and I can't ask him b/c it's a surprise.

So my question is... would it make sense to buy the ferry ticket now and then try to buy a SOL ticket the week before our trip? Is that even possible? Or is it better to purchase everything at once?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:34 AM

The Circle Line ferry stops first at Liberty Island, where you can walk around the Statue of Liberty, then at Ellis Island, before returning to Battery Park.

On the ferry ride, you'll see the Statue of Liberty close up, throughout the ride. There is no entrance fee for the Statue of Liberty, just a $1.75 service charge for a reserved ticket when you book ahead online - so if you think he'd like to stop on Liberty Island, you may as well book that at the same time. You need a ticket only to go inside, but only a limited number are issued for each day and they are timed, so it's best to order ahead.

It's also best to get to Battery Park ahead of the first ferry departure time, so you'll able to board as early as possible and have plenty of time to explore both islands.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:38 AM

You need to realize their are 3 separate steps to this.

1. Getting a ticket for the ferry. You can do this in advance and this skip this line.

2. Security line before the ferry. Everyone had to wait on this.

3. Statue of Liberty line (only if you get off at Liberty Island. As noted above - very limited tickets for going inside - so do get in advance).

Once you reach Ellis Island there are no lines - you can do the museum at your own pace.

All the lines are long - so go first thing in the AM - and plan on spending a good part of the day.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:17 AM

What you're buying online IS the ferry ticket, not entry to either place. But in order to go inside the statue, you need a pass. Most feel the only reason to get off the boat at the Statue is if you want to go inside for a tour and to see the small museum. This pass doesn't cost any extra if you're already going to Ellis Island.So perhaps you should reserve for a tour to be safe. You can always decide NOT to get off the boat but without the reservation, you may be shut out. More info
http://gonyc.about.com/cs/attraction...eofliberty.htm
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:30 AM

See official details at http://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisi...servations.htm

Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, the info was helpful!