Search

NYC Itinerary - Can I fit it all in???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:59 PM
kbo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Itinerary - Can I fit it all in???

Hi, would welcome suggestions to my proposed itinerary. I am staying on the Upper West Side days 1&2 and Midtown days 3&4. Planning to buy Citypass to travel on subway/bus and do lots of walking!....

Day 1:
Circle line ferry to Statue of Liberty
Washington Square Park and NYU Campus
Walking tour of Greenwich village (approx 3hrs)
Chelsea Markets in Meatpacking district
Union Square Markets
Dinner in Union Square area

Day 2:
Central Park
Museum of Natural History, Guggenheim, Met
Walk down 5th Ave to check out shops

Day 3:
Chrysler Building & Grand Central Station
NY Public Library
Rockefeller Centre
Carnegie Hall
Matinee on Broadway
Dinner in Times Square
Empire State Building in the evening

Day 4: (1/2 day)
Madison Square Garden (tour?)
Shopping in Flatiron District
Catch Airport Shuttle from Penn Station

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:25 PM

"Day 2:
Central Park
Museum of Natural History, Guggenheim, Met
Walk down 5th Ave to check out shops"

Day 2 sounds, um, a bit ambitious.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Day 2 sounds like about 3 days. I would go to the web sites of the museums and review them to fnd out what you really want to see - then go to those areas of two at most. (FYI - you could easily spend 3/4 days just exploring the Met.)

Also - I don;t know what there is to tour at Madison Square Garden - it's jut a big arena - like any other. Would bag it.

Also - your need to clarify your boat trip.

There is the Staten Island ferry - which is free - and which gives you a view of the Statue. There are Cricle Line cruises - of various lengths - most of which give a view of the Statue - among a lot of other stuff.

Then there is a ferry which goes directly to Liberty Island - and then on to Ellis Island. There is often a very long wait for this ferry - and if you want to do this - and tour the base of the statue you should get tickets in advance.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 05:18 PM
kbo
Original Poster

Re the museums, I know I'll only have time for brief visits - that's a good suggestion to check out their websites and decide on exhibits before I get there.
The circle line ferry tour I haven't looked into yet, it's part of the NY Citypass deal and the brochure says its a 2 hr cruise?? Hmm. Maybe I should just get the Liberty/Ellis Island ferry to save time? Does the free Staten Island ferry stop at Liberty Island?
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 05:24 PM

The Staten Island Ferry does not stop at Ellis Island or SoL. You get a good enough view passing by, but thats about all.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Circle Line ferry to the Statue of Liberty leaves Battery Park, stops at Liberty Island then Ellis Island, then returns to Battery Park - about 1 hour total time (if you don't get off).

The two hour Circle Line Cruise (these leave from the pier at the western end of 42nd St) goes very, very close to the Statue of Liberty on the way out and the way back. It also offers sensational views of the Manhattan skyline from 42nd Street on the western side to just beyond the Chrysler Building on the eastern side, along with the magnificent bridges all along the way.

Unless you really want to get off at Liberty Island, I'd recommend the 2-hour cruise.

Actually, the Circle Line "Harbor Lights" (a 2-hour cruise) is the best time, as it's daylight when you leave, dusk as you round the island, and dark on returning when everything is all lit up (including the SoL) and looks just magnificent.

You'll probably not get to all you have planned, so you'd want to do a bit of prioritizing (head for the most appealing museum, neighborhood, first, for example).
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:31 AM
rqf

Since you are into walking you could see a lot more on Day 1. After getting off the Ferry walk up Broadway through the FInancial district. From there you could walk through Chinatown, Little Italy and SOHO on the way to Washington Square Park. You could include walking the Brooklyn Bridge before going to Chinatown. You will be one tired person at the end of the day if you decide do this .
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Please, relax and enjoy New York City. You can't and won't see it all, but you can come back.

Accomplishing half of your intended activities would be ambitious, unless you plan to do a Clark Griswald and just stick your head in so you can "check the box."

Relax. Slow down. Enjoy!