Staten Island Ferry OR Circle Line tour

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staten Island Ferry OR Circle Line tour

First trip to NYC for family of four consisting of a 12 yr old boy and 19 yr old daughter. I realize that the Statue of Liberty is closed but Liberty Island is open and all of Ellis Island is open. I know that the Statue of Liberty can be viewed from the Staten Is Ferry and from reviews is awesome. We want to visit Ellis Island so my question is, "Is the only way to see Ellis Is is through a Circle Line Tour?" We are considering it but will not get off at Liberty Is. Would it also be redundant to take the Staten Is Ferry and the Circle Line Tour? Thanks.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:49 PM

If you want to see Ellis Island, then by all means take that tour.

But, I'd suggest you still take the Staten Island Ferry. The ride is free so the only thing you'll be giving up is an hour. I suggest you take one of the older boats with the outdoor seating area for view and historical perspective.

BTW, as you leave NY, I'd suggest you stay on the stern of the ferry. The view as you begin to pull away from NY is fantastic. If you can swing it, go around sunset.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:02 PM

The traditional Circle Line Tour does not go to Ellis Island - it is in fact a circle - or half circle - around Manhattan with descriptions of all the sights and neighborhoods you are passing.

The boat to Ellis Island also stops at Liberty Island (but you don;t have to disembark).

The Staten Island ferry is a third option for seeing the Statue and New York Harbor - but is basically for commuters and there is no commentary - or stops other than Staten Island.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:29 PM

The only way to see Ellis Island (other than to view it from afar) is to go down to Battery Park and take the ferry that goes to both the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Get out at Ellis Island and the exhibits there are self-directed. They are very good.

As NYTraveler explained, if you want to see more of Manhattan from the water and receive commentary on history, architecture, sites, you should take the Circle Line. If you just want to see lower Manhattan with no commentary, the Staten Island ferry should work just fine.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:57 PM

I have only ever done the 2 hour Circle Line tour and a trip on the Staten Island Ferry.

For me the Circle Line trip wins hands down. I've posted before saying I don't rate the Staten Island ferry that highly for views of the Staute of Liberty or Ellis Island but people are right that it can't be beat for general views of Lower Manhattan.

However, if you do the trip to visit Ellis Island then I wouldn't do the Staten Island Ferry as well. The only advantage of the Staten Island ferry is that it's free.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the speedy reply. As usual my questions were answered. NYC or Bust!