brooklyn & ellis island

Search

brooklyn & ellis island

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brooklyn & ellis island

I'm going to visit my daughter in New York this weekend. We're planning to go to Ellis Island Saturday then on Sunday, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge & see some of that area. I know about Grimaldi's Pizza and the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, but are there other interesting sights within walking distance? I don't want to be exhausted for the walk back across.
As for Ellis Island, is it better to take the Battery Park ferry or go down to take the Staten Island ferry? We'll either be driving down from Westchester or taking the train.
Thanks,
bobbye
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Just a quick FYI, and then I'll let let someone more knowledgeable post about Brooklyn. The Staten Island Ferry will not stop at Ellis Island---you do know that, right?
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

No, I did not know that. Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:57 PM

You must take the actual ferry that goes to Ellis Island.

http://www.nps.gov/elis/planyourvisi...sportation.htm

Deb
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM

The Staten Island Ferry goes only to Staten Island and back. You can get a distant view of Lady Liberty - but it doesn;t go near either Liberty island or Ellis Island. the only way to Ellis Island is to take the ferry that goes specifically to Liberty and then Ellis Island. Unless you have advance tickets there will be two long waiting lines - one to buy a ticket (get there early - before 8 am) and then another security line (as in airport security) to get on the ferry. the ferry stops at Liberty Island and then goes on to Ellis Island, then back to Manhattan.
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

I checked online for two tickets Saturday to Ellis Island on the ferry & get a message tickets aren't available for this Saturday. Would they have already sold out?
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:01 AM

Yes, tickets often sell out a few weeks in advance for the weekend. But not all tickets are sold in advance. You can still come, but you will likely have to wait in line for 2 or 3 hours. I'd suggest coming early. If you arrive much after 8, the daily un-reserved tickets may very well sell out since this weekend is supposed to be lovely.
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:34 AM

The only thing that's sold out for this Sat. is the ticket with monument pass to go inside the SOL. If your main interest is Ellis Island, the only ferry that sold out is the first one of the day. If you want to go inside the SOL, your other option is to go from the NJ side. Ellis Island is the first stop on the ferry from the NJ side and it's always less crowded. Even on the statuecruises.com website it clearly states the wait time on the NYC side is 2 hrs. vs 15 mins. on the NJ side. The 1 pm ferry from NJ with monument pass is still available.

If you're driving from Westchester, you can drive to Liberty State Park where parking will be cheaper. You can either go back to NJ to get the car and drive into Manhattan after if you planned on spending time in NYC or take the ferry to Manhattan after you're finished and use public transportation over to Liberty Park. I know it can be done but not exactly sure how it works. njtransit.com website trip planner can help.

As for what else to see/do in Brooklyn, there's loads. The neighborhoods of DUMBO and Brooklyn Heights are both within walking distance from the bridge (DUMBO to the left/west of the bridge, Brooklyn Hgts. to the right/east). Here's an old post from Suzanne (who's not been around for a while) who lives in DUMBO. http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...e-to-dumbo.cfm

Brooklyn Heights is where the Promenade is and has lots of cute shops and restaurants. You're also not far from the Brooklyn Museum and could easily take the subway to Prospect Park or further if you wanted to.
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

WE aren't going into the SOL, just Ellis. If we buy tickets in advance from the NYC side, why would there be a wait?
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:00 AM

Returning to Manhattan from Liberty State Park:

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail from Liberty State Park to Exchange Place, Jersey City, then PATH to its downtown terminus at the World Trade Center (site), or to Midtown at 33rd and Sixth.
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:42 AM

Even when you buy tickets in advance, there is a wait for security, so you have to arrive early for your reserved ferry. You get priority if you have a reservation (the wait is much, much longer if you don't), but there's still a wait, though not 2 hours.
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:21 AM

Yes - there is a long wait just to buy the tickets, then another wait to get on the ferry (you have to go through security, then wait for a ferry to arrive). Altogether, including ferry to and fro and visit to Ellis Island you need to allow at lest 5 hours.