NYC Hotel/ vacation rental.for a six day stay - December 7 -13

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friend's family - 2 adults,3 great children - 15,13,11, coming into NYC to see the sights in early December. Would like well-priced , nice hotel near Times Square. Suggestions, please.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 07:46 AM

You're coming at the busiest and most expensive time of the year, so don't count on well-priced or very nice unless you are willing to pay well in excess of $400 per night.

Without any sense of budget, I have no idea what to suggest. With 5 people, a normal hotel room is not appropriate since most of the hotel rooms are small and just don't easily accommodate 5 people. I'd look for a suite (then you're talking in excess of $500).

Perhaps the Doubletree Suites Times Square or the Radio City Apartments (though the latter may be booked by now). But they will need a full 1-bedroom with 2 full beds and a couch for the third kid (the other two will have to share a bed). There are some others that have been mentioned in the past, and if the family will extend their search beyond the immediate Times Square are (not really necessary or desirable to stay there anyway), many other options will be open to them.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Hi Bev -

I recommend the Comfort Inn Midtown on W. 46th. It's very close to the half price Broadway ticket booth, and breakfast is included.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 09:25 AM

For five people you will need to rent a suite (fire laws don;t allow 5 people in one room) - so I would have a look at Radio City Apartments (probably already booked solid) and the Affinia group of hotels - which have several good properties with a variety of room configurations. The Estgate Towers looks like thy hae a special deal if you book now for only aobut $350 per night - otherwise the rates are about $450 and up.

You should book something cancellable ASAP, while deals are being offered and then continue to look.

At that time of year I don;t think they can be picky about neighborhood unless they have unlimited funds. (And frankly, IMHO Times Square is the arm pit of NYC
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Sorry - don't know how that icon got there.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 12:13 PM

There's no reason to be in Times Square, especially at Xmas. Also, in case it wasn't clear, a vacation rental is not recommended as most are illegal or scams. The way to go is a suite hotel. In addition to the ones mentioned, I'd check beaconhotel.com and milburnhotel.com on the upper west side.