Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC Manhattan, family accomodation for 4.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
It's been some 15 years since my wife and I came to NYC for the last time. We didn't have kids. Now, we have two, 15 and 13yr old, and they are pushing to visit New York.
We would be interested to find a room for 4 with kitchenette, which is the kind of accomodation our swiss travel brochures never show. The idea would be to have breakfast before hitting town each morning. We would come for a week around mid-octobre.
We would appreciate suggestions for a hotel offering these kind of rooms, maybe from 1st hand experience, maybe a website regrouping them or any other relevant info.
Where in Manhattan? Any secure neighborhood on Manhattan, suitable for a normal NYC visit using public transport with kids .
Thanks to all of you!
Paul
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 02:35 AM

Two that I know of are Radio City Apartments and the Affinia Group. If you ask this question on Trip Advisors NYC forum you will get a lot of suggestions.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 03:34 AM

You can also look at the Beacon hotel on the upper west side which has suites for 4 or more with kitchens.
'
You don;t mention a budget which would be helpful in making recos - but Radio City Apartments are budget - and so sell out quickly. Just realize that October is high season for NY - so prices won;t be low.

And all tourist areas of the city are safe - what's most important is being close to the subway so it's quick to get around.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 05:17 AM

Most of the Affinia group of hotels have rooms with kitchettes. There's also Staybridge Suites near Times Square.

Just to clarify, though. If you find a reasonably priced room that does NOT have a kitchenette, it might not be the end of the world if you just plan on having breakfast in.

Many rooms have little refrigerators and coffee makers, and you can buy breakfast in almost any neighborhood in Manhattan for $5 per person or less if you don't mind having eggs on a roll or bagels or the like. There are even a decent number of hotels that serve continental-style breakfast for free. Now if you want to cook a meal for dinner, that's a different story, but for just breakfast, I don't think you really have to worry that much.

There are myriad coffee carts set up all over Manhattan every morning, and there's a deli on almost every block, even in the theater district. It might be a wash in terms of cost.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 06:27 AM

apartments2book.com is an English company that books many of these suite hotels. I found out about them several years ago from another travel forum and at that time figured out which hotels they were offering on their map. When you go to the website and choose NYC, you'll see a map with numbers. I made a "cheat sheet" a while ago with the names of the properties and their numbers on that site. You can read reviews here or on tripadvisor. You can compare prices by getting a quote directly from the hotels as well. Apts 2 book is sometimes cheaper since I think they contract for x number of rooms/year. I'd forgotten about them but recently saw someone got a very good deal for one of the Affinia hotels from apts2book that was better than anything being offered on other websites including the hotel's own. This will also give you a good list of suite hotels.

1=Affinia 50
2=Affinia Manhattan
3 San Carlos
4-Best Western Hospitality
5=the Blakely
6=the Belvedere
7=Radio City apts.
8=Eastgate Tower
9=Murray Hill East Suites
10=Milburn
11=Beacon
12=Lucerne
15+Trump International
16=Benjamin
18= 46th b/w 2nd & 3rd
19=the Larchmont (not suites)
20=Riverside Towers (terrible)
27=the Manhattan Club
29=Elysee
30=the Buckingham
34=Bedford
37= Affinia Dumont

Keep in mind hotel tax adds ~ 15% to hotel prices. Not sure whether apts2book separates it out or includes tax in their quotes. The one suite hotel not listed here that's very popular is the Doubletree Guest Suites in Times Square which is usually pricey but occasionally appears on Hotwire. You'd know it there as the only 4* hotel in Times Square with an "s" icon for suite.

The cheapest configuration for your purposes will be a 1 bedroom suite with 2 double or queen beds in the bedroom and a sofabed in the living room. A few of the hotels do have 2 bedroom suites but they tend to be pricier. The Eastgate Tower (part of the Affinia group) has very large 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suites which are occasionally on sale, but not currently. When are you thinking of coming and how many beds do you need (can the teens share?)?

All the neighborhoods where these hotels are located are safe. The Marmara is another suite hotel that's not on this list but not quite as convenient as the others.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 07:03 AM

The Doubletree Times Square has been my home away from home lately and it does NOT have a kitchenette. It has a tiny microwave, a very small refrigerator, and a small bar-type sink with only cold water. There are no plates, utensils, no dishwasher, no table to eat at except the coffee table or desk. However, I really like the hotel and the extra space two rooms gives. I'm in the room a lot though, working. It's quiet inside the rooms despite the location, and most of the staff is very nice.

The Staybridge Suites did have an extremely well stocked kitchenette, although our room didn't have table. The rest of the room was very small, and we had a cracked window. Breakfast was included but very basic and very crowded. I can only speak for our room, but four people would have been a very tight fit.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Gee!!!
You are all more than helpful. Thanks for your suggestions and infos. I have the entire weekend to check it all out and make reservations.
Sincere thanks to all of you!!!
Paul