Search

NYC Hotel Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Hotel Help

My husband and I are travelling to NYC (both first timers) from Apr 30-May3.
We would like to stay in or close to Times Square. Just looking for opinions on best hotel to book. Im currently looking at the following based on location and price point.
Any input would be great!
The Paramount
Hilton GArden Inn Times Square
The Shoreham
The Manhattan
Row NYC

Also - restaurant suggestions? we love food! looking for best pizza place and one "nicer" restaurant for one night (maybe seafood)
We will be doing a Hop-On Hop-Off tour as i will be about 20 weeks pregnant - so trying to minimize the walking a bit.
Thanks!!
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 07:21 AM

In terms of location, I think any of these hotels will do for you, but the Hilton Garden Inn is a popular (and good) choice. It's close enough to theaters to minimize walking, and there are a lot of good restaurants on 9th Avenue. I don't recommend the Paramount because the rooms are small beyond belief. The Row NYC is a full renovated big hotel (it used to be the Milford Plaza), and it has a nice food court, but the rooms are similarly small. I'd recommend that you check out the Courtyard Times Square Central Park, which is brand-new and wonderful. I've recommended it to several friends, and everyone has loved the hotel and its location on 54th/Broadway. The Shoreham is nice but it's in a different class, a more luxurious boutique hotel near MOMA. I don't know the Manhattan, most people like it, but it gets mixed reviews.

Times Square doesn't have the "best" of much of anything, particularly food or hotels, so while it's a convenient location for tourists, you do have to travel a bit if you want to find the good stuff, especially restaurants. John's Pizzeria is good, and it's close to Times Square, but the best pizza places are downtown and in Brooklyn. How much traveling are you willing to do for a great pizza?

For seafood, again, you have a paucity of choices near Times Square. But what is your price point? I love Marea (Italian seafood), but it's very expensive. Estiatorio Milos is also really great (it's Greek but has excellent seafood), but it's also kind of pricey. You might also try Molyvos or Uncle Nick's, both of which are near Times Square, aren't as upscale or expensive, and have great grilled seafood, and you'll find little better than a charcoal-grilled fresh fish.

If you want something more traditional, then say what you like and I might be able to suggest something.
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the Reply Doug! were willing to venture out for good food for sure!! thanks for the hotel tip!! for look it up for sure!!
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do you want to stay near Times Square? Are you planning on going to the theater every night? I usually stay in the Chelsea/Meatpacking district, walking distance to Greenwich Village, but Upper West Side is nice too, although Upper East is better if you're more into museums.
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 09:26 AM

I stayed in the Paramount once. My room was really small (and I don't think it was the cheapest) but I was alone and just for a night or two, so it was fine. Otherwise, I don't think so.

I really like the Muse in that area, but it's not as cheap. YOu don't mention budget, and I'm not familiar with the price points of your other notes to know. I also really like the Novotel which isn't in Times Square but north up Broadway a bit, but near a subway stop and is convenient for the theater. It's not that cheap any more either (I got it when it just opened and was). The rooms are quite large.

For budget in Times Square, I prefer the Apple Core hotels. I stay at the Broadway at TS and like it. http://applecorehotels.com/

It has excellent rates and the rooms aren't that bad a size, actually.
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 09:40 AM

I don't know if you're open to other suggestions, but we really like the Staybridge Suites Times Square.
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 09:43 AM

i think there are actually 2 Hilton Garden Inn's near times square. We stayed at the one on 42 near 7th, really just a stones throw from the square. It was quite nice, clean, comfortable and pretty cheap for the neighborhood. The main thing I didn't like was we basically had to walk right through Times Square itself whenever we went anywhere (all our theaters and restaurants were uptown from 42nd), and walking through those crowds gets annoying. I think I actually prefer staying on the uptown side, the higher 40s to low 50s.
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 09:56 AM

We like John's for pizza in Times Square; the restaurant looks like an old church and is huge. If you like casual Greek food, we like Dafni Greek Taverna. We got the recommendation on this board and really enjoyed it.
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 10:14 AM

We like John's Pizza too. Volcanogirl, I think it actually WAS a church at one time.
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 12:36 PM

I understand wanting to stay in Times Square, that is what I wanted on my first trip there as well. Granted I have not stayed there on subsequent trips. I say if you want to be able to look out your window at the lights then do it! We stayed at The Renaissance Time Square on my first trip and it was nice, but reasonably priced. As far as food goes try to stay away from eating in Time Square, the food is overpriced and pretty much just bad. There are many great restaurants just beyond that area.
Do a little research, or take the above advice and others suggestions.