Reload this Page >

NYC Hotel: Essex Westin or W hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Mark

We have earned a free weekend at any Starwood Hotel and we would like to spend a weekend in NYC in July. Our hotel options:

Essex House Westin on Central Park
W Hotel Times Square - Broadway & 47th
W Hotel Union Square - Park Ave S & E 17th St
W Hotel Tuscany - E 39th St

The W Hotel Tuscany and Union Square seem to have good reviews. The Essex House has both good and bad.

Our only plans at this point are a Broadway show on Saturday evening.

Any recommendations on the above Hotels would be welcome in terms of rooms, location, service.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 07:37 AM
JD

Times Square (obviously) and Essex House are closest to theaters, if that's what you want. Hotel on 39th is a little out of the way, (on a block that has another W Hotel, I think) in an area somewhere between residential and office buildings.

Personally, I would pick Union Square because the location is more interesting.
Near many of the best restaurants, hottest shopping, a good walking around neighborhood that's much less touristy. Don't know much about you, Mark, but if you're in your 20s/30s/40s, maybe 50s ( & traveling without kids), this is the more 'grownup' and fun neighborhood for you

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Mark

We are in 40s and this is trip w/o kids. My wife hasn't really been to NYC and it has been about ten years for me. Our plans are to see as much as we can (It won't be enough) in three days.

The Union Square location appears to be centrally located and the ratings for service are very good.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 04:28 PM
michele

My husband and I agree, the place to stay is the W Times Square. With only a weekend, Times Square is the most central, especially if you want to take advantage of the theater district, as you should. If you don't get tix before hand, you can always get half price tix, on Bway & 47th the day of the show.

Have a great time! Enjoy NY and as much of it as it has to offer. It really is a great town!!!

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Chris

Mark:

I was just at the W Times Square last week for 4 days with my wife and 2 daughters (11 and 8). We found the rooms, service and location much to our liking. The bathrooms in the rooms are a little different but not a major problem. The subway is right across the street. Everything is right there in Times Square as far as restaurants and entertainment. The rooms at the hotel were surprisingly quiet and restful. All the hotel staff dresses in black and tend to be the 20s to 30s crowd but my kids loved this.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Ted

Union Square. It's much more "New York" than Times Square, which gets annoying really fast. The W Union Square is in a great location close to Gramercy Park, Union Square (obviously), and the many great restaurants & cafes on Park Avenue South.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Frank

If you can get a park view or high floor, I'd go with the Essex House. Definitely the most elegant hotel of the lot, real art deco lobby. Not having stayed there, I can't comment on the room quality, but it's a great location with the Plaza Hotel as a neighbor on Central Park South.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Barb

Hello! I am from NY but love to try new hotels. Stayed at the Essex a few times (rooms are small-unless you can try and get the suites)...Has a great Sunday brunch and is located on CPW across from the park...You don't need a park view (how much time will you spend in the room anyway?)...Close to 5th Ave (you can window shop!) and still be in walking distance (or short cab ride to times square...etc)...

The W hotels seem to be more trendy...all have fantastic bars and restaurants and attract large crowds...

Have a great time!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:58 AM
Mark

Barb,

Which restuarant had the Sunday brunch and what is the price range?

Thanks,