Where to stay in NYC for quick trip in June?

Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Where to stay in NYC for quick trip in June?

I am planning a short two-night visit with my adult daughter in June. I have always stayed near Time Square with the idea that it's convenient for seeing Broadway Shows. I have booked two nights at the Edison. But we are actually only going to Broadway one night so I'm wondering if there's another area of the city that would be more convenient. So far we are planning on the food tour in Soho, visiting the High Line, touring Central Park, possibly Bryant Park. One of our nights we are going to go to the Upright Citizens Brigade comedy club. We are planning on doing a lot of walking. To be honest, I hate Times Square. We are on a budget and would like to keep the price to under $200, but with such a short trip, location and of course safety are important.
Thanks for any advice you have.
Laurie
Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:22 AM

If you use the subway, any area of town will be convenient to what you want to do. Are you familiar with this website to help navigate the subway system, stop to stop?

http://www.hopstop.com/?city=newyork

Personally, I like staying near Times Square. I've stayed in a lot of areas, but Times Square is still my favorite. If I had my druthers, I'd stay at a hotel on 8th and in the 50's and several there would work for me.

I'm staying for "free" in the UWS again, living life as a local...but I find myself back and forth to Midtown locations all the time.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:41 AM

The things you list are all over the city and frankly sound like a lot to accomplish in 2 days. If you plot them all on a map like maps.google.com you'll see what I mean. June is a pricey month in general but without exact dates it's hard to tell what will be under $200/night. A few thoughts...Some Times Square hotels are in a less frenzied area than others. Hotel at Times Square is a good recently renovated budget hotel that's not as much in TS as the Edison and it's nicer. It comes up on quikbook.com quite often in a room with 2 queens for good prices and they include free cont. b/f. The Comfort Inn Midtown is part of the same group (applcorehotels.com) and is similar. Even nicer is the NY Hilton which isn't in TS but a short walk, close to Central Park, walk to Bryant Park and it's often available for $199/night is you look around. (try hotels.com)

You could also stay in Chelsea nearish Citizen's Brigade & the Highline. Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea might work.

Then you could try Soho. The Hampton Inn Soho and the Four Points Sheraton Soho are often affordable. I also see the Hotel on Rivington on the lower east side for good prices on quikbook.com
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:30 PM

The places you want to visit are all easily accessible from the Times Square area which is a great transportation hub. HTTY
Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:01 PM

We stayed at the Hotel @ Times Square over Labor Day weekend. Very nice for the price-breakfast is included, but not much to brag on. Elevators are slow and some rooms such as ours have interior wall views, but the view didn't matter to us. The queen beds are more like small full beds. Bathrooms are updated and very nice, but small w/ no a/c vent.

We have also stayed at the Solita Soho, a Clarion hotel. The rooms were very small, but would be fine for two. Very comfortable beds; just get a higher floor due to sound of club below. Great location near Little Italy and Chinatown.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:24 PM

There are two hotels on the street that I live on that are well rated: Dream Hotel and Moderne Hotel. It is on 55th Street in Midtown West. Not sure if this is within your price range but it's close to Central Park, far enough away from Times Square, subway is a block away, and you have a ton of restaurants to choose from on 9th Ave [my favorites are Bocca di Bacco and Agua Dulce].
Feb 24th, 2010, 05:47 AM

There's a special for the NY Hilton for $169/night that might work for you here http://www.travel-ticker.com/details...40pw0knr4u8dgn Very good sized rooms, excellent central location.