NYC Good Hotels for Good prices

Mar 23rd, 2011, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

NYC Good Hotels for Good prices

PLEASE Could anyone tell me good standard hotels in NYC during end of October 2011 for 100
US $ for a double room with Rest Room and Shower/Bath.
Regards
Helmuth
Mar 24th, 2011, 12:00 AM

try priceline.com, name your own price, or hotwire.com. see results and info at www.betterbidding.com
Mar 24th, 2011, 02:49 AM

Your chances of finding any "good standard hotels" for $100 are not that promising for October.....or for any time of the year, for that matter!
Mar 24th, 2011, 03:35 AM

New York is expensive and $100 in October (high season) simply isn't enough for a hotel room (decent or otherwise) unless you try for Priceline. You will be bidding blind - and may or may not get something for that price. The web sites listed above can give you some guidance - but there is no guarantee a bid at that price will be accepted.

You might look outside the city - in Long Island City - to see if you can get a huge bargain there - but do check the locations (esp distance to the subway) and realize that these areas are mixed use (some warehouses, auto body shops etc, won;t have a lot of services and may be fairly deserted at night).

There are a couple of uber cheap places that you should not stay - Marrakech and Riverside Towers, plus a few others - due to a lack of cleanliness and basic services.
Mar 24th, 2011, 03:37 AM

It is unusual but it can happen...I just booked the Gild Hotel (A Thompson hotel, pretty nice) downtown and on the subway lines, for a long weekend at the end of April, which is another time when prices are usually high. I got it for $109 a night on travelzoo.com That surprised even me, and I am a nut about hunting down good hotel deals.

Check travelzoo.com closer to October. Start looking at end of August. You might find something then, probably not $100 but perhaps a good deal.
Mar 24th, 2011, 03:48 AM

Halloween on Oct. 31 brings thousands of people into the city for the parade. The NYC Marathon is the first Sunday in Nov. These 2 events make end of Oct. a really expensive time in hotels. (Hotel prices rise and fall with supply and demand). But as others say, unless you use Priceline or find a special sale which I don't think is likely for that time, $100 is generally not enough for a GOOD hotel with private bathroom. The St. Marks Hotel is very basic and has regular prices at just above that. The Park Savoy is a quirky place very well located with low prices but only books within a month or two of a stay.

Your best bet, if you can't raise your budget is to find something just outside Manhattan. If you're using JFK or LGA airport, the Verve, the Holiday Inn Manhattan View and the Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City are good options.
Mar 24th, 2011, 04:27 AM

October is "high" season in NYC????
Mar 24th, 2011, 05:50 AM

October marks the beginning of the most expensive and busy time of the entire year in NYC. It's quite unlikely that the OP will find a good hotel in Manhattan for $100. And that price is even a stretch for normal rates in New Jersey.

I can recommend the Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City, Queens, which is usually around that price. It's close to a major subway station with direct service (1 to 3 stops) to Manhattan and about the cheapest of all the hotels in Queens. It's generally a better deal than staying in NJ (unless you are driving into the city) because you can ride just the subway and don't have to pay for expensive daily commuter tickets on NJ Transit or a ferry.

There are several hotels in Manhattan that can often be booked for $150 per night, but some of those have a shared bath and wouldn't work for the OP.

This isn't a very realistic budget for a stay in NYC. But the idea of using Priceline (assuming there are only one or two people traveling together who are willing to share a single double bed, if necessary) is a good one and the most likely way to get a room for close to that price, as emd3 points out.
Mar 25th, 2011, 05:21 PM

Actually, I booked my $109 a night deal at the Gild for end of April on travelzoo.com. I've never stayed in a hotel I won on Priceline as I want to know where I am staying before I book. But if I needed a hotel rm. w/a bath in Manhattan in late Oct., I would indeed be over on betterbidding.com figuring out the Priceline hotels. I'd also watch travelzoo, but you are right, the $109 deal i just got for late April is a very rare bird in NYC at a high volume tourist time.
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:57 PM

Check www.biddingfortravel.com before bidding on www.priceline.com.
Mar 29th, 2011, 04:42 PM

Yes - but April is mid season and October is high season.

For perspective the AVERAGE hotel room in Manhattan - not high season - but mid season - is more than $250 per night - which with tax is about $300 per night. $100 is REALLY low unless you find some special deal in Jan or Feb.
Mar 29th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Yes - but April is mid season and October is high season.

For perspective the AVERAGE hotel room in Manhattan - not high season - but mid season - is more than $250 per night - which with tax is about $300 per night. $100 is REALLY low unless you find some special deal in Jan or Feb.

Oh - and in high season our corporate rate allowance is $489 per night - that is expected to cover a basic business class hotel - like a Hilton or similar. (A luxurious hotel will be at least $700 or $800 per night.)