Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

High quality food in Oak Creek, Sedona, Flagstaff or Grand Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in these towns over the next few days, and I'm trying to find some places to eat that are as far from fast food as possible
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 09:01 AM

El Tovar is best inside the Park, but expensive for what you get (I've had dinner there 3 times, two were pretty good, one was pretty mediocre). Nice atmosphere though ... has been a couple of years but the Squire Inn (inside the Best Western near the south end of town) dining room in nearby Tusayan was always very good for lunch and dinner, similar quality but less ambiance than El Tovar, but less expensive. We usually had dinner here instead of inside the Park, especially since El Tovar is often booked up in advance ... most of the dining places inside the park are about what you'd expect (ie not that great but serviceable). The two cafeterias at Maswik and Yavapai lodges are similar to high school cafeterias, for example, but OK for breakfast.

Several good places in Sedona, I think there are a couple of older threads discussing them in detail. Dunno much about Oak Creek or Flag ...
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 11:04 AM

In Flagstaff, I'd recommend Brix and Criollo as very good. Two other places in Flag that I enjoyed, but haven't been to in some time are Cottage Place and Jospehine's. I also liked Pesto Brothers.

I agree with the previous poster about restaurants inside the Grand Canyon Natl. Park. I've had Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners at El Tovar. The atmosphere is great and the location's hard to beat. The food was fine, but I raved more about the view than I did about my dinner.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 11:50 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Sedona:
Dahl and DiLuca in Sedona on 89A and they also have a second place Cucina Rustica in Oak Creek Village..Excellent Italian dining at both locations.
Enchantment Resort- Yavapai Room
Rene in Talaqapaque for fine French dining.
Heartline Cafe
Flagstaff is a university town and the downtown area is filled with fun places to eat..We had very good Thai last visit, can't recall the name.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 03:11 PM

DW and I have really enjoyed the food and wine at Brix our last couple of times through Flagstaff.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 03:41 PM

Cucina Ristica in the Village of Oak Creek (a few miles outside of Sedona). You don't get the Wine Spectator Award for 3 yrs straight (2008, 9 and 10) with fast food. And the food is very very good, just like the wine and ambience. Personally I have had several dinners there that rival anything I've had in a major good foodie city like NYC, Paris, Brussels, etc. It is clearly the best dining in the Sedona area IMO, and I;ve been to Yavapai at Enchantment also.

There is no find dining in Oak Creek Canyon. There is Junipine Grill at the Junipine about 1/4 of the way up the canyon btwn Sedona and Flagstaff, but it is not fine dining.

Some may recommend Seasons restaurant at L'Auberge Resort in Sedona. In my experience it is overrated and stuffy. Cucina Rustice is much better and more enjoyable. But if you want stuffy and snobby, you can try Seasons. They have a chef table also where you can get a personalized chef table menu by calling ahead 48 hrs.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Grand Canyon restaurants are all run by Xantera and they specialize in poor quality, expensive food. Its a shame that people can't get a good meal in the Canyon. Even at El Tovar, its just a very boring menu that can be prepared with no thought or originality. One has to hope that at some point the Xantera company, who also control restaurants in Yellowstone loses their monopoly.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM

In Sedona, definitely Dahl & Di Luca, my favorite place. Excellent food and ambience

Also the Cowboy Club Silver Saddle Room would be next on my list. No children in the SS room. There are only about 10 tables, a nice quiet atmosphere, excellent service, and great food.

Shugrue's Hillside is also on my list of places I always eat at while in Sedona. We always request the patio in wamr weather. It is not guaranteed, but by arriving a bit early, we always get a seat there. Great view at sunset.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 05:21 PM

I've eaten at Cucina Rustica, mentioned above, and enjoyed it very much. Nice outside seating.

Cafe Elote in Sedona has excellent Oaxacan style Mexican food - not too fancy, but very good food.