Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

applecore hotels ny for 179 $ a night good deal ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, for a week in late october, I'm looking for a decent hotel, no fuss. I've read good comments on this hotel chain ( tripadvisor ), frequently mentioning prices below 100 $. I've been unable to reach this price, all I found is 179 $. Any comments ? Other hotels for this price ?
Bedbugs ? Oppps ! Do you really can find them ? and even cockroaches ? Incredible. Any comments again ?
Thanks
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 03:26 AM

Hotel rates depend on the date, as well as on the specific hotel. October through December is a very busy period for hotels in NYC, with resulting prices to meet the demand.

My only experience with booking an Apple Core hotel was with Comfort Inn Midtown, which I booked online for a summer stay in 2002; repeated checking revealed that as the date of my visit approached, the room rate gradually dropped from $120 to $84. But as I said, it's all about demand.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:59 AM

Bed bugs? No!

Cockroaches? Yes! Every building in NYC has them - and probably every building in every city in the world. But you shouldn;t see them - they live in the basement, piping and inside the walls. It's a fact of life - like microbes being everywhere. Just don;t think about it!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:19 AM

The question is what hotels can you find at a better price and what are your priorities???

I just did a quick check on quickbook.com for 7 nights starting Oct 25. It shows the Eastgate Tower suite hotel (part of the affiniahotels.com group)with a $169/night rate. This hotel has kitchenettes but is not in the Times Square area. I'd prefer the extra space & convenience at that price. They also have the Southgate Tower (part of the same group) for the same price and that's nearer TS. Neither of these require perpayment...a good thing IMO.

I gave you several other places to check on your previous post. If you're looking to pay under $100 you need to use Priceline and even then...not this Oct.

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:20 AM

Prepayment is what I meant.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:46 AM

we recently stayed at the Super 8 motel on 45th or 46th street (b/t 5th and 6th aves) and found it to be surprisingly decent. The rooms were small, the furnishings older, but it was clean and the staff was helpful. One of our rooms had 2 double beds, and that was tight. They upgraded another of our rooms to a suite which was really 2 rooms, each with a double bed, and one of which had a desk and micro/fridge. If you dont need 2 beds, perhaps a room with one would be more spacious. A substantial continental breakfast was included in the price, and there was actually a workout room. The website for Super 8 gave me the best rate and when it wouldn't accept my reservation on line, i called the toll free number for the chain, exlpained the dilemna and they gave me the web site pricing.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:38 PM

Everything turns on your dates and this year's "fill rate" prospects.

I rely on TripAdvisor reviews.

Whenever you can book any room at all in Manhattan for under $200 that's "decent", you're doing very, very well, especially during "peak" booking dates.

October is "convention" month.

Good luck!

OTOH, you may want to shop like the dickens and book something you can cancel, then check BFT for Priceline results closer to your dates.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:04 PM

Hi, I stayed in an Apple Core hotel (Ramada Eastside) and I got a much cheaper price by booking through Ramada rather than the Apple Core site. Maybe this will work for you.