Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Antonio/Fredericksburg Too pricey for tight budget?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been to Texas before but would like to visit San Antonio & Fredericksburg. Will be driving there in mid October but am on a tight budget. I'm concerned with hotel prices. Will they be any cheaper that time of year? Also any advice on attractions and budget friendly restaurants in this area would be appreciated.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:22 PM

I can't speak for Fredericksburg, but San Antonio need not be expensive. Have you checked out the CVB site and requested their books? They might have hotel deals and coupons. You will pay more for a Riverwalk address, which you might not need.

Unless it has changed recently, you don't even need to take a cab because they have this great visitor trolley which you can hop on for nothing (or maybe $1 - much cheaper and better than I ever expected). Touring the Alamo is free, donations appreciated. Find out when the free Alamo talks are and you have more free entertainment.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:49 PM

As I suspected, Hampton Inn Seaworld is discounted in October. You can get their hit the road rate for $66. Other properties in that area also are probably good deals. Good luck.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the good advice. It is a relief to know I won't drive 1,000 miles for nothing.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:34 PM

Cliffdweeler-Don't know that your time frame is but if you get the chance to visit Fredericksburg, I would do it. Sounds like you'll have a car so driving to Fredericksburg would be a good day trip from San Antonio. The hill country is beautiful and Fredericksburg is a cute town. A million years ago I went to college in SA and we used to drive out to the country all the time. However, when I made a visit a few years ago Fredericksburg was really full of tourists. October could be busy and especially if you go on the weekend. I think you would enjoy the visit, though, just do it as a day trip and have lunch at one of the German restaurants.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 12:24 AM

I would think you might have gotten good information by going to hotel websites and checking ACTUAL prices. Have you thought of using a discount booking site?
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 01:38 AM

Hi I have not been to San Antonio before, but plan to within 1 to 2 yrs from now and I requested a booklet on the Chamber of Commerce website, got it and was really surprised that there were many La Quintas and small local and national chain motels where you can stay for like $50 and under. That is what I am planning to do, stay at these places and then spend more money on other things.

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 04:23 AM

cliffdweller: From which direction are you coming, and which city will you be visiting first? How long do you plan to stay, and do you plan to stay at one hotel the entire time? Knowing these things might help with recommendations.

Donna
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 04:38 AM

What are you planning to do in SA? If the Riverwalk area is your destination, Sea World is a bit of a drive from the Riverwalk. The Hampton Inn Riverwalk sounds like a great rate, and will work if you don't mind the driving and traffic.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 04:45 AM

I agree that you should have no problem finding affordable lodging and meals in the San Antonio area.

If you do have a car, there are really some beautiful hill town areas to visit near San Antonio, as well. Many which might even be having festivals during October. Fredricksburg is great, and you might also want to look into Bandera, Medina, Beorne and many of the other little towns in that area. Just spending a day driving can be a nice treat that only costs a tank of gas, and you run into some real gems along the way.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

I am driving from the St. Louis area. I can stay a week but this was depending on how expensive hotels were in SA. It sounds like the riverwalk area is out of my budget. I have been to Sea World in Orlando, don't know if the one in SA is the same. I am not familiar with SA except of course the Alamo.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 07:23 AM

Is the goal just to "see" Texas? What kinds of things are you interested in?
Like Statia mentioned, there are other quaint places as well. Fredricksburg, Boerne, and even Wimberley. All have special weekend where there are arts and crafts shows, antique shows, etc.

Let me do some digging and get you some websites.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 07:34 AM

Here are a few websites.

Around Fredericksburg there are about a half dozen wineries. (They are fun and interesting, but IMHO, not the best wines you'll ever try.)

http://www.mainstreetboerne.com/
Events

http://www.fredericksburg-texas.com/
(Click on their Calendar of Events)

http://www.wimberley.org/
Market Days
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 07:55 AM

You can also go to http://traveltex.com (I think that's the website) for great info on Texas travel, as well as order their book on Texas travel. I have a copy of it and it's a fabulous book chock full of info on both large and small Texas towns, accomodations, routes to travel, and even maps.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 07:56 AM

Forgot the "www" in the link.

http://www.traveltex.com

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:19 PM

cliffd, since you are coming from Busch territory, you might enjoy visiting the popular local TX brewery, Shiner. I have seen their brochure in hotels racks, and it is on my list for a rambling roadtrip sometime.

Seaworld is similar in FL and TX, but I just thought the location might have some bargains once the kiddos are back in school for fall.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

I sent for a Texas travel book but haven't received it yet. I like museums, antique shopping, anything historical. I like to learn about the history of any town or city I visit. Due to an unforseen car repair I am having to be careful with vacation spending. Was hoping I hadn't picked an area to visit that would be too costly.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:36 PM

Then you should make sure to do the NPS mission tour
http://www.nps.gov/saan/
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your great ideas. With my kids grown I can now do all the things on vacation that I like. I no longer have to visit amusement parks. (Unless I want to, that is).
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:35 PM

I am not sure about your price range, but there is a LaQuinta very close to the Riverwalk. Anything at Sea World will be close to just that. I also think there might be a Motel 6 in the area. Unless there is a convention going on it shouldn't be a high season. As for Fredericksburg- I absolutely love it. We always stay at a bed and breakfast so that isn't a budget stay. I know there are some brand name hotel chains there that might be in your budget. We like to eat at the Fredericksburg Brewery (they do brew their own beer) and we have been to a German place- Aldotorf sp? Both of these places are on the Main Street. If inns or bed and breakfasts are your thing try www.fbglodging.com They have a variety of accomodations and prices. Depending on how long you stay it would be a nice time of year to go to Enchanted Rock. It is about 40 minutes from Fredericksburg and it is a place for hiking. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -