NYC - Events

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC - Events

Hi folks. I'm wondering what some of the key fun charitable events are in NYC during the fall and winter months. I'm going to be doing some traveling there over the next several months. And, alas, I'm a soon-to-be-divorced woman in my late 40s looking for nice social connections (for dining, music, theater). Thanks.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 07:12 AM

You haven't given us any idea of your budget. The NYC charity events are very expensive. That said, you would probably be best off searching some of the websites for NYC calendar of events. I don't know any other way to do it. Charity events are usually listed in NY Magazine, The New Yorker, and Time Out NY, but not until a week or two in advance.
You should consider booking dinner at the James Beard House. www.jamesbeard.org. The evening starts at 7 pm with champagne and pass arounds. Dinner is at 8, with a fixed menu. You will be seated at a table with strangers--couples, singles, etc. Ask them for a big table.
Also, check the museum websites. They always have fundraisers.
If you are interested in theater, the Roundabout has a singles series. You pay an extra $15 or so per ticket and then go to the wine and cheese party after (top floor of the theater on 42nd St.)
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Found this website which has lists of events, but I think it would be uncomfortable to go to these alone.

http://www.charitybenefits.com/0904ny.htm

Have a look here. There are tons of different options listed
http://www.singlesonthego.com/nyc/ne...inggroups.html
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. Budget not really an issue.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 09:44 AM

I forgot one. The NY Times has a Times Talks Leisure Weekend at the Graduate Center on Fifth Avenue. I believe all ticket money goes to the Graduate Center. All different lectures focused on entertainment. We attended one with 4 playwrights, including Terrance McNally. Interesting evening, lots of intellectuals, and since it is general admission, lots of friendships struck up while waiting on line. It is usually the 2nd weekend in January.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 02:23 PM
QC

The hard copy Sunday New York Times (Styles section) provides a weekly list of charity functions, with all details, for all budgets.

Also, www.newyorksocialdiary.com has a 'calendar' section that will provide listings of the events you seek.

Annual charity events (like at Xmastime) are common, you should probably call an institution you like (NYPL, Metropolitan Museum, NY Philharmonic, etc.) and ask them directly. "Budget not an issue" will guarantee immediate enthusiastic response.

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 02:51 PM

I second the idea of calling one of the institutions. I used to know someone who worked for the New York Public Library fundraising department. She would have definately gotten a kick out of your question. They all know each other and keep a seasonal calendar of the charity circuit events, so if you can convince them to share, you'll get lots of good info from them.