NY hotel question -- looking near WTC Site

Feb 14th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

NY hotel question -- looking near WTC Site

Posting this question for friends. They want to stay near the World Trade Center Site in May. Their budget is no more than $300 per night. Any advice for location and price? Thanks in advance. Diane
Feb 14th, 2010, 11:41 AM

I'd ask why they want to stay there? It's all construction now and somewhat of a mess. Subways are being repaired/updated on weekends so traveling to/from other areas of the city can be cumbersome. The Millenium Hilton overlooks the construction site. The Embassy Suites and Marriott Financial are right nearby. There are a number of other hotels in the financial district including the trendy Gild Hall which is often well priced for weekends on quikbook.com Make sure they know the area is quiet on weekends. To get names of other hotels they can map the location on maps.google.com and use the search nearby function for hotels. There's a special right now on travelzoo.com for the Embassy Suites.
Feb 14th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I will pass it on.
Feb 14th, 2010, 11:48 AM

There's a new W scheduled to open downtown on May 4. I wouldn't hold my breath, but I'd consider booking it with a backup somewhere else. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotel...ropertyID=3154
Feb 14th, 2010, 12:56 PM

we stayed at the Marriott, Downtown - got it via a Priceline bid for $180 per night
was lovely - had a gorgeous view from our hotel room
but we only stayed there for a night so we could explore the area - its not a very touristy area - the evening was really quiet so we headed to the village for dinner
Feb 14th, 2010, 04:39 PM

This is a business district - so very quiet at night and on weekends. Agree that it's really for business travelers - not tourists - unless they get a really grat deal.
Feb 15th, 2010, 05:06 AM

Have stayed at the Marriott Downtown (formerly Marriott Financial District) numerous times. Was there for business but is a very nice hotel (and have had some unusally large rooms for NY). Got some good rates online, especially for weekends. Very close to subway.
Feb 15th, 2010, 06:10 AM

How far do they consider "near" the WTC site?

The Tribeca Grand is about 12 blocks North. The Millennium is right across the street. There are hotels at Battery Park, like the Ritz.
Feb 15th, 2010, 06:36 AM

Also have enjoyed the Millennium Hilton, right across the street from the WTC site.

Close to subway, walkable to the Battery, Wall Street etc. And note that Century 21 is next door for the shoppers in the group.
Feb 15th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

I'm not sure how close they want to be. I'll pass on this information...and thank you again.