Which Minneapolis Hotel Downtown?

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Minneapolis Hotel Downtown?

I am going to be in Minneapolis in June over a weekend and am wondering about a Hotel downtown. Would you recommend the Best Western Downtown? If yes, for what reasons? If not, why? And what would your recommendation be for a hotel downtown keeping in mind we are not looking for luxury or night life, just a nice, clean family hotel. Thanks for your help
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 10:03 AM

I stay for a week in downtown last year for a convention. The Best Western looked kind of dumpy and people we know who stayed there thought it was very low quality. We stayed at the Embassy Suites one block from the Best Western.This was a great place. We had 2 room suites with a seperate bedroom and a pull out couch plus a full kitchen. They had a free cooked to order breakfast buffet EVERY morning and a cocktail reception every night. The pool was small. The hotel got crowded on the weekend because the Twins were in town plus a few conventions. We got a rate of $99. Check all the available discount websites or try Priceline.
A great restuarant in Minn. was Bucca de Beppo. A family style Italian place.Great food, great atmosphere. Don't be scared by the prices, all dishes feed 2-4 people and are served family style.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:31 PM

I also wouldn't recommend the Best Western Downtown - think it used to be or still is the Normandy and it is getting old. I'd do the Embassy Suites or Radisson Plaza or Marquette. Also have heard good reports about the Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn at the Old Depot, but haven't stayed there. Can recommend the other 3 hotels tho as we have stayed at each of them a number of times. If you try Priceline, you can probably get a good rate at one of these hotels. Have fun!!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

How about the Hyatt Regency at Nicollet Mall? I can get a room online for less than $80. If you could choose between the Hyatt Regency, the Radisson Plaza, or the Courtward Marriott at the depot, which hotel would you choose? Thanks
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:29 PM

I've never stayed at any of these hotels, but have eaten at their restaurant or walked through each of them. They are all good and which one you pick may depend on what you want to do while you are here.

The Hyatt Regency is close to the convention center, has a really good seafood restaurant (Oceannaire), and is within walking distance of both the downtown shopping center and Loring Park.

The Radisson Plaza is in the heart of the city and the shopping area - close to most restaurants and shops.

The Courtyard Marriott at the Depot is a new hotel - built around an old building (the Milwaukee RR Depot). When I walked through the hotel last fall, I remember thinking "how cool!" -and the hotel staff looked up from what they were doing and greeted me warmly - even though I was just walking through. There is an indoor ice rink attached to the hotel if that is of any interest. It isn't close to the center of downtown, but is within walking distance or a short cab ride. It is close to the Mississippi River - only about 2 blocks - and there is a nice walking path along the river.

Hope this info helps.