Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NOLA trip in March please help me make decisions....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to New Orleans March 10-14. We are torn between staying at the Hotel Monteleone and the Royal Sonesta, can anyone help us to make a decision??? Also, what kind of weather can we expect day and evening? Are dining reservations expected to be made at the finer restaurants (Commander's Palace, NOLA, etc) very far in advance? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 09:18 AM

I've never stayed at the Monteleone but am crazy about the rooms at the Royal Sonesta. If you get an inside corner room overlooking the pool, I think you'll be really pleased.

We've always just made reservations as soon as possible, but we haven't been to NO since the hurricane, so I'm not sure what the situation is now.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Wow, that's a tough call. If you want to be in the middle of the action, Royal Sonesta on Bourbon. If you want to be near the action, Hotel Monteleone. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Can you get a better deal with one over the other? Maybe that would help with your decision.

Personally, I love the balcony rooms at Royal Sonesta, but most people don't want the noise from Bourbon. The poolside rooms are nice, too.

I'd try for a suite at Hotel Monteleone - you might get one for the same price as a smaller room at the Royal Sonesta.

I'd make reservations for hotels and dinners as soon as you can. March weather can be cool or warm, sunny or rainy - it's the deep south. Be prepared for anything to be safe.

Good luck! At least you have 2 great choices.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 09:25 AM

You really can't go wrong with either hotel. It really depends if you want to be in the middle of the action (Royal Sonesta) or if you like a quieter and more historic hotel (Monteleone).

The weather will probably be very nice when you visit. March is usually in the 70's, although it could be as cold as the upper 50's (but that won't more than a couple of days in March) or as warm as the 80's (could last the whole time you're there if there's a warm spell). There's always a chance of rain in March as well, so plan for that. Definitely better than any place up North at the same time of year though!

March is also a time when flowers and plants are starting to bloom, so it's a beautiful time.

It's a great time to tour the swamp, as the greenery has set in, the weather's mild, and if it's warm enough, you might get to see the alligators out. If the weather happens to be raw and/or rainy, I'd skip it though. Swamp tours are something you can book at the last minute, and that's what I'd plan for.

Dinner reservations at Commander's Palace are always recommended, especially in the Spring, although the crowds are not as large as they used to be pre-Katrina. I'd suggest you go ahead and book Commander's right now to get that taken care of.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:04 AM

Justrav, which hotel did you decide on? My husband and I are facing the same decision between Monteleone and Royal Sonesta. Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:29 AM

I try & stay at the Monteleone every time I go. Oftentimes I am not successful, but it is always my first choice.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:57 AM

Great! We booked the Monteleone, and I'm very excited about the pool and Carousel Bar.