Kew Gardens March 20 versus May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can possibly go to Kew Gardens March 20 ... this would be the second day of their Bulb Bloom. I can also go in May probably. Is it worth it to go on March 20, or should I wait until May?

Thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 03:17 AM

I've been to Kew several times over the years, at different times of year and there's always something different to see. March will be spring bulbs, camellias, early rhododendrons, alpines, etc. There may be more flowers in May, but a lot of the bulbs will have finished. Either way, it will be worth seeing, especially if the weather is kind to you.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:40 AM

Joe - w/ you being based in Oxford you can get down to Kew more than once. Kew is different and worthwhile at any time but during Bulb Burst it is usually very special because of the millions of bulbs.

You are there in the country and I am not so I don't know what is starting to bud/bloom now - I know it has been really cold recently. If the spring bulbs are starting to show where you are they will be magnificent in late March. I'd definitely go during Bulb Burst. But if everything is budding late, maybe March 20 might be a bit too early. Maybe flanner or one of the other locals can give you "on the ground" advice . . . . .
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Unfortunately I will be out of town (back home in America) March 22-mid April, and then in other parts of Europe until late April, so this would be the only chance at Bulb Bloom. However, you are right, I could always go back in May, as it's an easy trek from London.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:57 AM

OK - with those limitations - unless the weather is really nasty/wet/windy I'd go in March. Even if some of the bulbs are late there will be millions that are . . . .
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:34 AM

I've been to Kew Gardens several times, but never for Bulb Burst.
Having seen the beautiful bulb beds in other parts of England, I can't even imagine how gorgeous the bulb display at Kew would be. Even the name "Bulb Burst" tickles my fancy.
I hope you get to go in March AND I hope you will share your photos with us.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:13 AM

If you happen to go in May, the bluebell woods around Queen Charlotte's Cottage will be in full bloom, it is said to be the finest in London area.

The wisteria pavillion and azaleas walk shall be quite nice too.