Search

Tanzania-Feb or March?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanzania-Feb or March?

Hello. We are planning a trip to Tanzania for safari in Feb/March. We will either begin the trip towards the end of Feb. or the middle of March. Is it true that March is rainy? Our travel agent said the rains do not really begin until April but I've red March can be rainy too. Thanks!
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 05:38 AM

Weather is weather, no guarantee.
Supposedly the "long" rains are April/May, but it's not unusual to have wet start in March. For that matter, there can be wet in Jan or Feb or whenever it's not supposed to. World climate changes have turned much of what was usual upside down.

It's rare, to rain all day or even daily; occasional showers shouldn't impact your safari. Benefit - it's green on the plains.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 07:56 AM

More chance of 'long rains' the later you go into March. I'd pick late Feb over mid-March ... have been there the first 10 days in April in 2006 (really, really rainy), last week Feb - first week March in 2008 (heavy rains hit not long after we left) and late January - early Feb in 2006 and 2007, with no heavy rains at all but very muddy in 2007 because of late Dec rains.

Based on that limited sample I think late Feb is safest of the two options you mention ... try to spend as many days as possible in the south Serengeti, which is peak at that time of year.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM

If it's this Feb, I wouldn't delay. I'd pick end of Feb over mid March. I'd consider the start of March, but it looks like that's not an option for you.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 08:31 PM

I absolutely love the transitional times, like early/mid March and early November. This is the time when the skies can get dark in the background, but not yield too much rain to ruin your day. I love green grass, but more than anything I love dynamic and almost violent weather.

I would feel totalyl comfortable running a safari up to about March 15.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM

We were in Tanzania this past March. We arrived March 12th and the weather was hot. By March 20th the temperature was cooler and we had a fierce thunder storm in Ndutu on March 21 with lightening striking a tree about 200 meters from our vehicle. I thought I was back in Vancouver as it rained so hard. It rained off and on during the next week, mostly at night. The weather didn't restrict our game viewing and we were told that this is a good time to come to Tanzania as there are fewer people. We spent a day in the middle of the migration, in the Serengeti seeing only a few vehicles.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Can anyone chime in with the price differentials in March and when those kick in? That might be added incentive for later in March.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 07:23 PM

<b>Can anyone chime in with the price differentials in March and when those kick in?</b>

In 2006 the mid-range lodges we used had lower rates in April and May (sometimes just thru May 15), not in March. So we went April 1-10 and had a LOT of rain.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 02:42 AM

i would go rather sooner than later in order to be on the somewhat &quot;safer&quot; side in view to rain.

of course there cannot be any weather prediction and rain can hit now at any time. but the chances are better to avoid it in feb.

regarding rates:

IF the camps are open (many close april/may due to the long rains) the better deals are expected for april/may. but the difference is not that huge so i would not risk let's say a difference of 60$ and face the probability of getting stuck in torrential rains.

div