Search

Night Life

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night Life

My friends and I are coming to Boston to celebrate my birthday 8/14-17. We really have no set plans except wanting to catch the Sox on the 15th (first and only time I will cheer for the SOX--too much pain involved!!). What bars/clubs can you suggest? We are in our late 20's to early 30's. Any other sights we should check out would be great too...We are coming in from Cleveland and have never been to Boston before. THANKS!!!
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 05:50 PM

For ggame day/night, the area right around Fenway has lots of bars. They are usually full of 20 - 30 having pre-game fun, or if they are not fortunate enough to get tickets, watching the game. Several of the places play have dance clubs/play music that will get busy after the game (Tequila Rain, Game On, etc...)

The Back Bay section of Newbury Street and Boylston Street have lots of bars, restaurants, shops etc.

The Faneuil Hall area has lots of shops and bars, a bit more of a touristy feel than the other two areas.

The North End is the Italian section and has great Italian Food (obviously)

If you're into history you can walk parts of the Freedom Trail. Duck Bost tours are always popular too...land tour of the city, and then a tour down the Charles.(river)
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Do you already have Sox tickets?
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

No tickets yet, but seeing as they are playing the Blue Jays I think we will get lucky at the cancellation window!

Thanks for your ideas milemarker0!!!
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 12:11 PM

I don't know about this cancellation window you speak of but you're not going to be able to get tickets to a Sox game no matter who they're playing. You'll have to try craigslist or stubhub or a ticket broker.

In the Fenway area I like the Cask and Game On and also the roof deck at the Baseball Tavern. Eastern Standard has a great bar and if you prefer a more lounge-type place, the Foundation Lounge is very fun (get there before 11pm so you don't have to wait in line).

There are a million other fun places in other parts of the city, it really just depends on where you'll be staying and what type of atmosphere you like.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 07:30 PM
TKT

How many of you are there?
You might have trouble gettign tickets through a broker if there is a large group.
As mentioned earlier, don't expect cancellation tickets.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 11:52 PM

Fenway is a much smaller ball park than alot of the parks in the country and almost if not all of the games are sold out.

If you want tickets for a reasonable price, go to www.stubhub.com ASAP, because as the season wears down the prices are going UP and will NOT go down.

As an example, I just checked stubhub for tickets to another Yankee game, and the tickets I paid $60 for the 3rd of July, same area the tickets are now going for WELL over $100.

Old Aug 9th, 2008, 01:40 AM

I just checked stubhub the dates you are in Boston and it looks like the only tickets that are available are Standing Room and some Bleacher, so if you want tickets you need to get them NOW!!
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 02:55 AM

ace ticket (website of same name) has been useful for our tickets in past - they have a bunch of tickets for 8/15 game, seats starting around $75 per ticket.

There is no such thing as a cancellation window - on occasion day of game tickets are sold at ticket window, but time and availability is so variable as to be impractical for your purposes.

I hope you have done more research about your trip than you did about Red Sox tickets - multiple posts here and also in print press indicating how impossible and expensive these tickets are to get. Even those of us who live in Boston and try to log on the minute they go on sale every year are disappointed annually.
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Money is not a problem for the tickets, we just want to make sure we get real tickets....
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 12:27 PM

Buy from a real ticket broker, then. Many Red Sox tickets are sold "Ticketfast" - which means print at home. There is nothing to stop the buyer from printing a million of them - that has been a minor problem for years. Recent local news story profiled people who had the actual card-stock tickets that were fake - it is so easy to duplicate tickets with a computer that I always wondered why this did not happen.

While people have successfully bought tickets on eBay, CraigsList and StubHub - these are sites where you buy from other real people. I prefer to buy from a ticket broker - prices are usually only very slightly higher, availability better, and I just feel more secure in transaction.

I may sound like an ad for Ace Tickets here, but they have had good customer service for us - husband and son even bought SuperBowl tickets from them several years ago. They will mail, deliver to hotel, meet near Fenway.