Comerica Park All Star Game

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in St Joe, Michigan on vacation next week. My husband is a baseball fanatic so I am toying with heading over to Detroit for the All Star festivities. Tickets to the actual game are being scalped on the net for prices we can't swing. However, maybe we'll get very lucky if we show up and find folks stuck with tickets. I have seen that happen frequently with popular events. Any input as to whether tix are usually around outside the park? Is scalping legal? This may be a misguided idea since the All Star game may be a much harder ticket to get than I am anticipating. Otherwise, I read that Sunday is the Futures game and the Celebrity softball game. That may be fun. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:21 AM

There are THREE things that are certain: death, taxes, and scalpers selling tickets to baseball games. Pretty sure that scalping is illegal there. I would expect that your chances of finding two seats together for sale by the original ticket owner would be pretty slim. For a regular seaon game when that happens it is people selling their season tickets. You won't have those people for the A-S game. OTOH, the leagues probably dole out bunches of tickets to the teams. Team employees, players, family, might have some extra tickets. I would plan on hanging out in/near a 4/5-star hotel by the ballpark.

Good luck.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:23 AM

I used to work at a large venue in Detroit and assure you that the police frown heavily on scalping around such large events.

If you still want to go and just enjoy the atmosphere, you may be able to find a hotel downtown close to the stadium. From the Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard Downtown or Marriott Renaissance Center you can actually see into the stadium. It's a limited view but you'd be able to watch the game on TV and also see some of it out the window. The Detroit News and Free Press sites have guides to all the events around town during the week. There are a number of bars and restaurants close to the stadium where I'm sure everyone without tickets will gather to watch the game on TV. They range from 5-star steak houses to Coney-Island-Style hot dog stands and are all within a few blocks.

There is also the Fan Fest at Cobo Convention Center that will have appearances by current and past players, memorabilia sales and clinics. Check the major league baseball site for tickets.

One final word, there is a lot of road construction in and around Detroit. Have fun, but leave extra time for detours and tie-ups if you go.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:55 AM

I personally would not recommend scalping. There have been all kinds of news stories here on the increased police presence (uniform & plain clothed) around the stadium. Especially given the recent events in London. I think that your idea of going to the Futures game on Sunday is a good one & definately hit the Fan Fest, it looks fantastic!

If you just want to soak in the All Star atmosphere, there is a bar right across from Comerica called The Elwood that is a lot of fun. There's also Nemo's which is actually over by the old (and imho "real") Tiger Stadium, but it's the ball w/ REAL Detroit baseball history & they have a shuttle to the Copa. There is also Hockeytown Cafe & A great little bar called the Town Pump in the same area that the Copa is in. Actually to the west across Woodward Ave.

Let me know if you have any more questions......
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your good advice. Given the construction that was mentioned, any guess as to how much time it will take to get from St. Joe to Detroit? Thanks again, Marie