Search

Nice hotel near LAX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice hotel near LAX

We are flying from Michigan to LAX, spending the night, and then flying to Hawaii. We will be doing the same thing on our flight home. Does anyone have a suggestion on a nice hotel near LAX. Is it a good idea to use Priceline or Hotwire? Any recommendations on hotels that are close by and clean would be greatly recommended. I prefer nice hotels like Hyatts, Sheratons, Marriots or better.
Thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:29 PM

How about the RitzCarlton at nearby Marina del Rey? There's also a nice Doubletree there that we used for a night on our way to Asia. From there we also stretched our legs by walking to Venice beach, and had a wonderful dinner at Cafe del Rey.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Courtyard by Marriott in Marina del Rey is fine if the Ritz doesn't fit the bill. I believe they have free airport transportation.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Or go south to Manhattan Beach: Bela Mar Hotel (brand new, hip and trendy), Marriott (old reliable). Both are within walking distance to movies, restaurants and shopping.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Does Courtyard or Doubletree allow 5 people in a room? Thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Five to a room is unadvisable in ANY typical hotel room, unless it's a suite with two (or 1 3/4) baths. There's a pretty nice Crowne Plaza right on Century in the immediate LAX area that is quite reasonably priced even at rack rate; I also think it participates in Priceline bids (see biddingfortravel.com to confirm). Get two rooms there.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Oh yeah-- there's also at least one Embassy Suites facility in the LAX area.

My preference would be the more upmarket hotels in Marina del Rey-- you have more, and better, dining options for one thing (Joe's Restaurant in Venice Beach is a short cab ride away, as is Café Amuse). There's a Marriott on Admiralty Way, across the street from the Best Western Jamaica Bay Inn-- one of the nicer BW properties in the LA area. I don't like the location of the Courtyard property-- right off the 90 freeway at Lincoln Blvd. It's not unsafe, it's just a little unattractive. The R-C is lovely, and its restaurant, jer-ne, is supposed to be excellent.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:39 AM

8 of us stayed at the Howard Johnson at LAX, and we don't recommend that one. We stayed on a non-smoking floor but it reeked of smoke. The rooms were small and kind of gross. So don't stay at the Howard Johnson!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:43 AM

I have used Priceline to book rooms near LAX and always had very good hotels with excellent rates...The Sheraton for $45 a night, cant't beat that. Also the Crowne Plaza for $52 a night. I would definetely use Priceline, you can't go wrong if your dates are definite and if you are only spending one night.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manhattan Beach Marriot has a 5 person maximum per room. There is also a Residence Inn by Marriott in Manhattan Beach with roomy apt/suites.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:12 AM

The Four Points(Sheraton) at LAX is where we have stayed in the past & also staying again for a couple nights this June. It may not be as fancy as some of the other hotels, but it is very close to LAX, & has a shuttle similar to most hotels in that area. Also, it is not quite as expensive as some of the fancier hotels, & I imagine you will be spending alot of money in Hawaii & don't want to spend it on a night near LAX. we are getting a travel rate of $60-$65/night. & I think they allow a rollaway in the room if you need it for a 5th person. I have never used Priceline, but from this site, I have read that it cannot be quarenteed that you will have more than 1 bed in a room, let alone space for 5 people, from priceline.