First trip to Los Angeles - Advice wanted Marriott hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi -this is my first posting, we live in the UK and me, my wife and our 3 teenage daughters (17,15.14) will be visiting LA for the first time in August, it will be our 2nd trip to the US, we enjoyed a fantastic holiday in Orlando last Summer. We will be flying direct to LAX, collect our car and will be doing the usual tourist things. We are planning to spend our first week in LA plans to visit amongst others Santa Monica, Malibu, Huntington, Universal, Hollywood etc. Our second week will probably be in San Diego there will be a separate posting.

We like to use Marriott Courtyard hotels and would really appreciate any advise on our shortlist of 3 for LA.
The hotels being considered in no particular order are
2633 Sepulveda Boulevard Torrance,
6333 Bristol Parkway Culver City
1925 West 190th St Torrance.
Obviously the hotels are all very similar so I really need more info I have been on various websites but a forum like this is ideal for this kind of requirement.
I would like to know about the
hotel location - is it a nice, safe upmarket or downmarket area
Is it quiet area or not
Is there anything within walking distance
would you walk around at night
are there good restaurants or shops nearby,
are they in a good position for a holiday base
Also do I need to book quickly or do think I can leave it a while and hope that the exchange rate improves.

Any advise or thoughts positive or negative about the hotels would be helpful

Many Thanks in Advance
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Of those three-the only one I would feel fairly comfortable would be the Sepulveda location in Torrance. The Culver City location is right next to the freeway, a cemetary and a questionable mall. The 190th location is really an adjunct to the Toyota Corp across the street. You would still want to drive to anything. How about the Courtyard in Marina Del Rey? Or the one in Pasadena. With the Marina del Rey--you'll be near Santa Monca and getting to Malibu, near the beach, good freeway access.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 03:49 PM
lvk

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Fodor's. Looking at the Marriott website it appears that you chose these hotels, because they are less expensive during your time-frame than the more conveniently-located Courtyards. Working within your parameters, I'll give you a quick rundown on your three locations.

Sepulveda, Torrance. This is located on a fairly busy street in a mixed residential-commercial area of Torrance. It is a perfectly safe and pleasant area, with many retail and restaurant options within a 2-3 minute drive, and the beach is only about 10 minutes away. Though it is not very convenient to the freeways for your touring about, it is probably the nicest neighborhood of the three.

Bristol Parkway, Culver City. Next to the Fox Hills mall, just off the 405. Though farther north, therefore more convenient to Santa Monica, Hollywood, Universal, etc., not a great area for basing a vacation. This is probably the least-safest neighborhood of the three.

190th, Torrance is located very close to the freeway and on an extremely busy street just across from the Toyota North America headquarters building, among other large office buildings. Traffic is miserable in that immediate area, but it is relatively safe, just very, very commercial.

Looking a little bit outside of your parameters, you might consider two other Marriott properties near LAX. TownPlace Suites and SpringHill Suites are a bit more expensive than those Courtyards, but they provide larger rooms for your family, with small kitchenettes. I believe one of them also includes a complimentary breakfast buffet, which can save additional $$ when traveling with teens. They are located in Hawthorne, adjacent to Manhattan Beach, close to many great restaurants, 5-10 minutes from the beach and very close to the 405 freeway.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 04:02 PM

When we go from San Francisco to LA to visit family, we always stay at the Marriott Courtyard in Pasadena. The hotel is fine but the best thing about it is the location in Old Town. So many great restaurants, shops and lively night life all in easy walking distance. Also, Pasadena has the great Norton Simon museum and the Gamble House designed by the Green Brothers which is open for tours. Pasadena is within driving distance of the Huntington and Getty museums and the beach, also downtown LA and Chinatown. We tried the Marriott at LAX one time and we hated it...absolutely nothing charming within walking distance.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 06:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree w/ all of the above - the ONLY one among your short list I'd personally consider is the Courtyard in Sepulveda. And I wouldn't be terribly thrilled about it. I definitely wouldn't stay there a full week. A night or two maybe. But that isn't what you are looking for.

There are other hotel chains similar in cost/amenities we could suggest if you are open to staying in other than Courtyards. Or - if you up the budget, the Pasadena Courtyard would be great. I don't know specifically where the Marina del Rey property mentioned above is located, but that would be a good option too.

Sticking to a brand is fine, but not if they aren't located where you/your family would be happy
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 07:51 AM

There is a Courtyard in El Segundo (not the Century Blvd one). It isn't in a residendtial area but it's pretty close to the town area of Main Street as well as Manhattan Beach. It's a bit closer to places like Santa Monica and West LA, and you can use the less-congested 105-Century Freeway to head toward Orange County.

I'm thinking Pasadena might be too hot in August.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi Thanks to all your replies I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Looking again on the Marriott website the Marina del Ray does look a better choice.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 10:19 AM

The Courtyard at Century City on West Olympic might also work for you. It's a relatively quiet area for busy Los Angeles and safe (close to the Fox Studios). There is easy access to the 405, Santa Monica, Malibu, Venice Beach, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc., so a pretty good vacation base. There are lots of shopping and dining options available in the vicinity as long as you have a car which is absolutely essential in LA.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM

As I was reading your list, the first one that came to mind was the one in El Segundo is not on your list. It is near Manhattan Beach, which is a great area for teen girls and families in the summer. From the pier you can watch surfers, volleyball players, rent bikes or skates, or just people watch. The area is very safe and clean. Nothing like coming back from site seeing to the cooled off areas of the beach towns.

http://gocalifornia.about.com/bl_calambchphoto_pr.htm

El Segundo is conveniently located to the 105 Freeway, which we take everywhere.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ax-el-segundo/
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 02:24 PM

I use to live in Torrance and of the 3 Marriots that you listed I would agree with the above posters; The Marriot on Sepulveda would be my choice. Actually this is the one I stay at when I am in the area visiting family. This is not a touristy area. It's probably best to drive all places as this hotel is on a major street and in the middle of townhouse complexes. There are a couple of grocery stores, a mall, and many restaurants within a short distance. The beach is about 3 miles.