Search

LA Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA Hotels

Our family of 4 (2 older teenagers) will be staying in LA next summer for 3 nights. We have not been to LA before and figured to do the touristy things in the short time we have (Bevely Hills, Hollywood, Sunset Strip, etc.). We were planning on staying at one of 3 Marriotts in the area.
A. Renaissance Montura Los Angeles
B. Courtyard Century City / Beverly Hills
C. Marina del Rey Marriott

I have 3 questions:
1. Are the areas around thesee hotels safe to walk around during the day or evening?
2. Are any of the 3 hotels that much nicer than the other?
3. Would there be any potential traffic issues travleing to and from the hotels to the areas we want to visit?

Thank you.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:44 AM

The Renaissance Montura is in the LAX area. Scratch it off your list now just on the basis of being at LAX; it's a very nice hotel, but there is absolutely nothing attractive to walk to in that area.

The Courtyard is close to Century City and "central" to Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, but that's not a walking neighborhood IMHO (it's located on the northern edge of Fox Studios, if that makes a difference) and it's definitely a budget property.

The Marina del Rey Marriott is in a pretty-good location, although Venice gets a bit dodgey later in the night. However, trendy and excellent restaurants abound, Santa Monica is ten minutes north and Venice Beach is three minutes west. The kids would like that. However, you're now quite a bit farther from those touristy things you're thinking about.

Traffic? We that live in southern CA simply accept that we will encounter traffic wherever we go. You can't avoid it-- you just add 10 minutes to your travels.

The Renaissance Hollywood would be a good choice for your interests, honestly. However, you might consider finding a beach property (Le Mérigot in Santa Monica is a JW Marriott, for one example). My preference would be to look beyond Marriott properties. How much would you like to spend? I can think of some great places closer to the beach....
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 12:12 PM
Tess

Daisy,

You really need to check out the Hollywood Renaissance! Trust me, your teens will love this place and it's so convenient to the places you want to go. The hotel itself is cool--very much up to the standards of older teens We stayed there in January and felt safe, even at night. Jimmy Kimmel tapes right across the street from the Renaissance, if they're old enough to attend tapings. Check out Tripadvisor.com for ratings and descriptions--I think you'd do well at this place.

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the recommendation. I'll check the hotel out. If it's too pricey I guess we'll look into the Marina Del Rey hotel.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:09 PM

I agree with Rjw. Also, keep in mind the traffic factor. For some reason, nowadays, traffic is very unpredictable no matter what time of day it is. There's even traffic on the weekends all the time now!
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I also agree with RJW. The Marina Marriott is the nicest of the 3, and across from "mother's beach" and the Cheesecake factory. Close to Abbott Kinney in Venice -- great street to eat, shop and browse.

Courtyard is on Olympic right by Century Park West, which means good luck getting out of the hotel parking lot, although it's a block from Century City shopping mall (open air), which will have completed its renovations by December (they say). That's a great place to hang out and dine during the summer.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 07:00 PM
fredman

Let me give you the same advice I give everyone that goes to LA:
When you get there, stop at any store or drug store and buy the cheapest possible cooler you can get. Styrofoam for $5 is fine. Then buy a case of bottled water, it will cost you between $3.50 and $5 for a case.
Why ?
Because that's what you will drink, and a single bottle of water is anywhere from $1.50 to $2.65, I've even seen it for $3.00. A bottle.

I stayed in Marina Del Rey 2 months ago, it took us an hour to get there from Sunset Strip at 6 p.m., getting from there to Universal or Warner Brothers took an hour and 5 minutes at 10 a.m.

Cheescake Factory is awesome, but park your car yourself IF you drive to it - they have valets that 'act' like they park your car for free, they come up and open your door, but park yourself and save the $6 by walking 150 feet from your car to the door.

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 07:01 PM
fredman

p.s. where are you coming from ?