Search

Los Angeles family trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2012, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles family trip

Hi,
We are a family of 5 - 2 adults and 3 kids planning to be in Los Angeles in June - I am looking for advice on the best area to stay in. we do want to see as much of Los Angeles as we can but I am unsure of where is the best place to book a hotel - I was think of Santa Monica - any suggestions, is this too far out?
We will have a car and we do hope to go to Universal Studios, thinking of skipping Disneyland - would welcome any advice.
Thanks
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 07:48 AM

I prefer the Santa Monica area because we like to stay near the water. Hotels are pricier there, but there is a Holiday Inn you could check. Others are Sheraton Delfina, the Georgian (older hotel, but looks nice), or the top-of-the-line Shutters.

You can save some lodging and parking expense by looking at nearby Marina del Rey and Venice Beach. I like the quirky Inn at Venice Beach, and have stayed there a few times by myself. It is a Pacifica hotel. We also like their more expensive Jamaica Bay Inn, right on the marina.

Lots of hotels in Marina del Rey, including the Ritz, a Marriott, and a Marriott Courtyard.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 08:15 AM

Santa Monica is perfect for the Family... The pier is fun, there's a huge outdoor mall area with food and shopping a few blocks away, and you are near the Ocean...

Also consider a Grayline LA tour... stops at 20 different tourist attractions and you see the most without having to drive... AAA has big discounts...
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 09:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI, L.A. beach towns often experience a lot of morning fog in June. Sometimes the fog doesn't lift until late afternoon. Sometimes it stays gloomy all day, hence the description "June gloom." Sometimes the skies are sunny and clear just a couple of miles away from the beach.

If you "want to see as much of L.A. as we can" and the beach and ocean aren't major elements in your plans, consider staying inland and going to the beach if/when it's sunny. What else is on your list besides Universal Studios?
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 10:32 AM

Agree that it depends on what yo plan to see and do. If your itinerary is Universal, Warner Brothers, Six Flags, Griffith Observatory, Zoo, Wild West Museum, Science Center, Natural History Museum,Dodger Game....for instance, then Santa Monica doesn't make sense. You'll be spending half your time sitting in traffic.
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 05:35 PM

In LA, "how far" one place is from another is measured in time, not distance, and depends on the time of day. The "distance" from Hollywood to LAX can vary from 40 minutes to 2 hours. Even the street routes can get bad if traffic sucks. Street routes include La Cienaga, La Brea, Sepulveda, Century Blvd. they're handy sometimes.