Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which one is better, Marriott LA downtown or Manhattan Beach Marriott in LA

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to visit LA next month. So can anyone please tell me which Marriott hotel is better? In terms of location, how easy to get to those interesting spots like Beverly Hills, Hollywood, etc.

Thanks

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:21 AM
lvk

Neither of those Marriotts are terribly convenient to the two places you mention. Are you trying to use Marriott points? If so, you might try the Hollywood Renaissance or the BH Residence Inn. Both are closer to your chosen attractions.

The Downtown Marriott is in the central business district. Most of the hotels there cater to the business traveler. The Manhattan Beach Marriott is 5 minutes from the beach and LAX and is right off of the 405 freeway. It also has an adjacent executive golf course. There are lots of dining options nearby.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, lvk. You are right, we are going to use Marriott points. I have another question here, is the area around Marriott LA downtown pretty safe to stay?

Thanks again!
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM

The area around the Marriott Downtown is perfectly safe. It also gets a bit quiet after Quitting Time on weekdays, and stays pretty tame on weekends. You're still a fair drive to out-of-Downtown attractions.

There are some cool things to see Downtown (Disney Hall, lots of cool architecture, City Hall, LA Public Library, Calle Olvera), so it's not like you're in the hinterlands of, say, Norwalk. But I would consider looking at properties with surroundings that have a bit more to do after 6 PM.

The Renaissance Hollywood is a nice hotel, and the surrounding blocks are cleaning up nicely. The Residence Inn in Beverly Hills is in a pretty good location as well.

There's a JW Marriott property in Santa Monica (Le Mérigot) as well as a Marriott in Marina del Rey that put you in fairly happening parts of town-- but far from what you've mentioned.

My two cents....
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Wow, rj! I did not realize I live in the "hinterlands" of Norwalk! (Although I understand it used to be all cow pastures here in the old days.)

Just kidding with you. I understand and fully agree with your point. Our local Marriott is mostly used for business meetings and those in town on county court business.

But (suddenly feeling the need to come to the defense of Norwalk), we are ideally located at the junction of many major freeways and, thus, convenient (or as convenient as freeway travel is in SoCal) to many attractions. However, Norwalk would not be on anyone's list of "must visit" places.

I just remembered meeting a lovely family from Germany in the local Elephant Bar. Their travel agent at home had booked them into the Holiday Inn here in La Mirada. Just goes to show the value of sites like this which can give us a better idea of location.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread, but I couldn't resist!
Linda
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:34 PM
lvk

Linda,

It could be worse. On my first trip to L.A. as a tourist, my friend booked us into a Days Inn in COMPTON! It's still there, right off of the 91 Freeway (though maybe not a Days Inn any longer) Every time I drive by it, I have a little chuckle. That was probably the last time I let anyone make travel arrangements for me .
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Oh Linda, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to denigrate Norwalk at all. Like I have room to talk, living in the wilds of East Long Beach...!!

Although we do have that lovely Eldorado Park to counterbalance a nearby mall with a Wal-Mart AND a Sam's Club. Not to mention the fantabulous Cerritos Auto Square!

Notice also I didn't suggest our gorgeous local Marriott (at the base of busy LGB Runway 30/12) to the OP.

Actually, Norwalk IS central to the entire LA basin, so it's a great place to live and work. It's easier to get to LA fun spots than Long Beach, that's for sure.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:58 PM

OMG, lvk, I know that Day's Inn! At the risk of offending someone from Compton, let's just say I would not recommend it...

rj, you know I am just kidding, right? I was just surprised to see my lovely town in a Fodors post!

Thanks for the chuckles!
Linda
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Yeah, I know, Linda . Hey, if nothing else, we're living here in California! Even during a cold snap, would we rather be anywhere else...?
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Shhh... The Wisconsin snow is what brought my dad out here almost 40 years ago. He and my brother would faithfully shovel the snow out of the driveway (pre snow-blower days) all winter long and then the city snow plows would come down the street and push the snow from the street right back into the driveway!

Every New Years day he watched the Rose Parade on TV...and here we are!

So, yes, with all the smog, with all the congestion, with all the other big-urban area problems - with a cold snap that drops into the high 40's, yes, I'm happy to be in Norwalk, California!

But, shhh . . . don't tell anyone!

So, where are you visiting from, ajwu?
Linda