Search

Nice hotel in tampa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice hotel in tampa

My husband and I will be vacationing in Orlando dec.16-23, and will be driving to Tampa for a day to see a hockey game. I would like to find a very nice hotel to stay in that evening that would not require us to drive any further south. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is a suprise birthday present..
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 04:40 PM

Very nice hotel and Tampa in one sentence means one thing: the Hyatt Westshore (oops, I think it has a new name). Relax and have a wonderful dinner on the top floor restaurant Armani's.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 05:15 PM

The Hyatt Westshore ( 8 miles from where I live ) is great for air travelers since it sits almost on the runways and Armani's is as great and romantic a restaurant as you'll find in Tampa. The Hyatt is too far west of downtown Tampa -imho.

I recommend you check out the Radisson Tampa River Walk ( beautiful and great location near Ice Palace) or a lesser priced Hilton Garden Inn in Ybor's Historic District. If you haven't experienced the fine Cuban culture cuisine of Tampa before then I would recommend having dinner at the Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City. If you go to the Columbia Restaurant -check if they still sell the beautiful sangria pitchers used there.. they're inexpensive and a great momento to take home.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 05:30 PM

"The Hyatt is too far west. . ." Well, OK if driving a total of almost 10 minutes via interstate from the center of Tampa (including Ybor City) to stay in a far nicer place with a great view over the bay and a wonderful restaurant is too much for you, then yes. Save the 10 minutes and stay somewhere FAR less desirable.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 07:10 PM
OliveOyl

Patrick...I'm sorry, but you are mistaken...it takes me 12 minutes, not 10 to get downtown.

The new name is the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, and thanks for the thumbs up. Armani's just got another year with Mobil 4* restaurant status.

To be fair,(as much as I would love NOT to mention this), I'd be remiss in not adding that the Marriott Waterside is downtown, nice, and practically next to the Ice Palace...er...St Pete Times Forum, new name.

The Radisson is an old hotel that has had some money put in it recently, but it's still an old hotel and would be low on my totem pole of places to stay in downtown--I'd take either the Hyatt Regency (the other Hyatt in town), Marriott Waterside, or the Wyndham Harbor Island before the Radisson. If it's downtown and "very nice" you want, one of those 3. If you'd like to be on the bay in "very nice" then Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay and in a room overlooking the water.

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 12:50 AM

i've stayed in both the Grand Hyatt and the Marriott Waterside. Waterside is more convenient and the Hyatt has prettier views and great restaurants. The drive to the downtown district has never been that big a deal for us.

LMF
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 05:47 AM

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt before a cruise last year and it was very nice. We got a great rate through Priceline. It is the only four star hotel listed and often goes for as little as $55.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 05:59 AM

Sorry for the horrible mistake on my time estimate. I actually did Mapquest from Ice Palace to Westshore and got 6.01 miles in 9.something minutes via the interstate. I guess having to drive a whole 12 minutes WOULD BE OUT OF THE QUESTION for having a really nice place to stay and not to have to venture out for a really grand dinner. Just not worth it I guess. LOL.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 08:07 AM
OliveOyl

Well just see to it that it doesn't happen again, OK? Actually you may be more correct than I--my trip is only to Hyde Park each day and that's 11 minutes--I added on some for downtown being one exit east, but neglected to take into consideration that Hyde Park is further south. Mea culpa...you are probably right on.

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your responses. I think I will check out the Grand Hyatt and also take the advice to go to the columbia. Has anyone been on any any fishing charters in the area?
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 01:13 PM
GoTravel

I know this one is way out of the way but how far is the Don Csar from Tampa? Isn't outside the city limits? It has just been a while since I've been there.

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 03:05 PM

Don CeSar? Wow thats like 33.3 minutes away....

Another vote for my very favorite Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay (I still like the old name) and Armanis. I live in Tampa but stayed there and had dinner at Armanis for my 30th bday a couple of yrs ago in December. They did a nice surprise dessert for me when they found out at reservation time it was my birthday. If you stay at the hotel, try to get a waterview if possible.

The Marriott Waterside is right there close to the St Pete Times Forum as well.

I hope you enjoy Tampa as much as I do.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 10:19 AM

I just nabbed this hotel on priceline at $55 a night for two nights in December. I was just doing some reading to see if everyone like it. This was a pleasant post to find!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:42 AM

Mike - I think you'll be really pleased with the Grand Hyatt, especially at that price!