Hyatt vs. Sheraton (downtown)

Aug 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Hyatt vs. Sheraton (downtown)

Is there a major difference between the two? Both on Burrard (sp?) Sheraton appears more "business" and less intimate?
Aug 4th, 2008, 07:51 PM
BAK

Vancouver, right?

I've stayed at the Hyatt several times, and found it a boring business hotel devoid of personality, but evertything worked just fine.

But my visits were a few years ago.

BAK
Aug 5th, 2008, 07:14 AM

Just stayed again at the Hyatt a couple of months ago -- they have renovated it and it's looking pretty good. DH and I really enjoy the property, but tastes differ. We've found the staff to be friendly and accommodating, and we like the more formal appearance. The location is excellent.

However, we absolutely loved the Sheraton Wall, although we only stayed once. Our room had floor to ceiling glass windows that gave a marvelous view at night particularly. We had a king room with an interesting configuration (corner, like), where the bed looked directly out onto the city. In the elevator landing, there was a glass wall that gave the day's weather forecast, and the bathrooms had mirrors that didn't fog up. Some interesting things like that. The landscaping outside was lovely. But it didn't have the lounge and restaurant facilities that the Hyatt has. Location also good, but a little farther away from the water than Hyatt.

We'd stay in either one in a heartbeat -- is rate a factor?
Aug 5th, 2008, 07:14 PM

I have stayed in both, and my preference would be the Hyatt because of location.

The floor-to-ceiling windows at the Sheraton are stunning, and the rooms are a bit more special, but the area around the Sheraton leaves much to be desired and the view of the water is way in the distance. You are a much longer walk from Gastown, Canada Place, etc. But looking at the Sheraton is stunning - wow!

The Hyatt rooms are huge, and the views we had from our window of the water were awesome. There was nothing bad about the Hyatt's location. The outside appearance of the hotel is pretty standard, not stunning like the Sheraton Wall Centre.

I took lots of pictures from rooms in both hotels. The pictures from the Hyatt show gorgeous reflective buildings and seaplanes landing on the water. The pictures from the Sheraton show run-down buildings in a less desirable part of town.
Aug 5th, 2008, 09:08 PM

I just wanted to note... while it's true that the Sheraton is further from Gastown and Canada Place, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's also worth clarifying that there are 3 different waterfront areas downtown: Burrard Inlet to the north, False Creek to the south/south-east, and English Bay to the west.

The Hyatt is located in more of the business district surrounded by office towers near Burrard Inlet, which is essentially Vancouver's industrial waterfront.

The Sheraton is closer to the West End, English Bay beach, Sunset Beach, Yaletown, Granville Island, and the entire False Creek waterfront. This is more of a residential/leisure area by nature... the water traffic tends to be water taxis and sail boats.
Aug 10th, 2008, 08:39 PM

I stayed at the Hyatt last weekend and it was cozy, and nice. Upon mentioning having been there once before, and experiencing lots of noise from some sort of a social function late into a Saturday night, they gave me a room on an upper floor and I never heard a peep from anywhere.

I opted away from hotel parking, and just parked on the street out front. (meters in effect from 9am to 8pm every day @ FIVE DOLLARS an HOUR) I never researched to find whether those are the on-street rates all over town, or just for those attempting to duck the hotel valet/overnight parking rates.

Anyway, two thumbs up about the cozy Hyatt.

Aug 11th, 2008, 07:23 AM
leavingsoon

On a similar topic:

Would you selectSheraton Wall or Westin Grand if the price were exactly the same?

We have previously stayed at Hyatt and Fairmont downtown and like this location just fine.

We like walking the sea wall in Coal Harbor and then up to Denman for dinner and back up Robson to the hotel. We also like the walk near Yaletown, so we thought the Westin would be better?

The Westin is on Robson, but further away than Burrard, while the Sheraton looks like it is many long lonely blocks away from Robson. Again, we like walking at night, and found the streets packed in summer well after 10, so it was perfect for Hyatt and Fairmont, but this time they are full on our nights.

Thanks for your guidance and experience!