Hyatt or Sheraton in Kaanapali

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Jen

Hyatt or Sheraton in Kaanapali

I've done the research, read Fodor's chat for 6 months every day, and I still can't decide between the Hyatt or Sheraton in Maui! We are breaking up our 8 night stay, the last 4 being at the Kea Lani, but what to do about first 4 nights? I was leaning towards the Sheraton because of the great beach, then the Hyatt because of the bigger rooms, back and forth, back and forth. I've been saving for this trip for years and don't want to make a mistake! Can anyone give me any new insight on these 2 properties? We're going in October, for our 10th anniversary, don't want a ton of kids around, like to enjoy a cocktail or two, and want a fabulous room. Help?

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Alex

Jen
In my opinion the Hyatt is much more upscale. It has just been re-furbished and is stunning. I felt like I was in another world when I went there. We ate dinner at Spats. We were at the Westin but loved to go over to the Hyatt for some peace and quiet. The Sheraton is rather plain compared to the Hyatt. We looked at their rooms and could not believe that they had just been re-done a few years ago. They were very dark and the bathrooms were tiny. The Hyatt has lovely streams, lots of birds and ponds with lots of Koi. All in all the Hyatt is the best. If we ever go back to Kaanapali we will stay at the Hyatt.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:44 PM
KTK

Here's another vote for the Hyatt on Kaanapali! It is BEAUTIFUL. Three years ago, my husband and I honeymooned there, and all I can say is that everything was PERFECT - from the accomodations to the service. We were even upgraded upon arrival - they are known to upgrade for special occassions - you may want to mention your 10th wedding anniversary. We had a beautiful beach front room and left the sliding glass open every nite to fall asleep to the sounds of waves. You will love it.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:49 PM
ezron

I'm going to go another direction. First, they are both great places and either one will work. BUT, if you are into a nicer pool area, a little nicer hotel and room----Hyatt. However, if you want a better beach and great snorkeling (Black Rock) and little closer to Whalers Village and the Hula Grill----opt for the Sheraton. Good Luck !!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:46 PM
dana

I've posted on this subject several times; starting to sound like a broken record. The bottom line, if you are a beach person, pick the Sheraton.
If, however, you are more of a pool person, pick the Hyatt. If you're into a little more customer service, pick the Hyatt. If you like larger, nicer rooms, the hyatt. If room size is not an issue, the Sheraton.
Room service is excellent at the Hyatt.
We stayed there twice; were upgraded twice; Don't drive yourself crazy. They're both nice properties!
a nice room is important to me. So I always try to pick the most recently refurbished hotel rooms. The Hyatt;s have just been refurbished. Everything was nice and clean, and they have wonderful comfortable beds too!!!!
Nice marbled bathroom areas. Spacious closet with safe. Sheraton's closet was within the bathroom itself and although
marbled, it was a tight fit.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Lee

I seen several posts where folks mention they've been upgraded at their hotels. How does that work. Do you pay extra for the nicer rooms? Are the hotels giving it to you for free for some reason? Some other promotion?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Jen

Thanks for all the replies, the Hyatt it is, I can stop beating myself up. One last question - Can someone tell me how far it is to walk to Whalers Village from the Hyatt and also to the Sheraton? I can't tell by the map, if it's not too far to carry beach stuff, we'll just go to Sheraton's beach and stay at the Hyatt!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Alex

Jen
The Hyatt is a bit of a jaunt from the Sheraton to be lugging beach stuff with you, however if you just mean a beach bag with towels and such then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would guess it to be just a little under a mile but it's a beautiful walk. Whalers Village is about half that distance if not a little less. The beachwalk is fun to walk and you can check out all the hotels along the way. We always did this two or three times a day. Whalers Village has some fun shops although a bit pricey. We would go to the ABC store every morning to get our water supply for the day. The hotels charge a fortune for it. Don't forget that if you want to go to Lahaina that you can catch the bus right at Whalers. They charge $1.00 each way. If you want to go to Wailea then I think it's $5.00 each way. Kapalua is $2.00 each way. You can get the schedule right at the information booth in Whalers. Also the hotels along that stretch all have different shops in them also that are fun to poke around in. I think I have covered everything. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Jen

Thanks for all the info, it really helps. I didn't realize it was about a mile from the Sheraton to the Hyatt, we will definately walk it, but not tote beach stuff with us. We'll save the real beach relaxing when we get to the Kea Lani for the second half of our trip! Thanks again!