Maui: Hyatt Regency v. Westin Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are attending a convention in Maui and these two hotels are the choices that we have. We like to beach it, pool it, party and walk around. Which should I choose? Thanks
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 09:19 AM

The Hyatt is at the end of the beachwalk and the Westin is in the middle, right next to Whalers Village.
They are both nice properties. I think the Hyatt may have a few less kids (others will have to confirm).
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Ughh!! I hated the Hyatt. I was miserable there. I thought it wasnt very nice. Wish I could do that all over again! Maybe the Westin is better
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM

On my most recent trip (May 2009), I stayed at the Hyatt and absolutely loved it. The rooms are completely average, but the resort itself is gorgeous. The grounds are really well kept, there are several shops (even a Macys), some great restaurants, a penguin exhibit, etc. The pool is fabulous, as is the pool-side service. They have daily drink specials which are $8 compared to other mixed drinks that are usually $12. In the afternoons, they bring you cold towels and otter pops. The gym is great (used it every day), as are the exercise classes (for $10 each) where I basically had my own personal trainer.

I loved the location because a 12-15 stroll along the ocean on a paved sidewalk brought you to the Whalers Village where there were more restaurants and shops. Past that is the Sheraton where you can snorkel from shore at Black Rock.

The beach in front of the Hyatt is narrow and not that exciting...the beach gets bigger/wider/better as you head towards the Westin and Sheraton (which has the biggest beach area).

I would return to the Hyatt in a second.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 09:49 AM

I'ved stayed at the Hyatt 3 times. Love it. I like that it's at the end of the beach walk. The one time I didn't stay at the Hyatt I visited and wished I had. I really liked the hammocks down by the beach. Nice to use at sunset. I agree that the rooms are average.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM

I have not been in a while but will add that when we were at the Marriott next door to the Hyatt we ate at the Hyatt and crashed the pool which was far better. No input on the Westin.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 06:49 PM

If you're a beach person, you might not be happy at the Hyatt. While it has lovely grounds and an amazing pool, the tiny strip of beach in front of the hotel comes and goes with the tide. The beach in front of The Westin is much wider.