Saigon Sheraton or Hyatt--Pros & Cons

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide which of these 2 hotels in Saigon--Sheraton or Hyatt--to book. Would appreciate any input. Also best room location to request--city view- river view--pool view.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 09:59 PM

The Sheraton has a better location. As for the pools, I can't say..but look on the net. The Hyatt looks great, but has an appallingly bad outlook over a dreadful sorta car park thingy, if I recall correctly.

In fact, I thought the Hyatt's outlook was so mesmerisingly awful that I was actually moved to take a photo of it just so people would believe me!
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 10:30 PM

I would say the Sheraton and the Hyatt locations are equal. They are less than a 5 minute walk from each other and are both centrally located in District 1. The rooms at the Sheraton are better IMO. Level 23 bar at the Sheraton is hopping almost every night, but especially Fri/Sat (however there are a few "professional" hostesses that frequent there). Sheraton Buffet is better, but the ONE restaurant at the Hyatt is quite good (excellent ribeye steak last time I was there). Lobby lounge at the Hyatt is a nice place to unwind at the end of a busy day. The pool/gym at the Hyatt are the best in town. Request a pool view room at the Hyatt and city or river view room at the Sheraton.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 11:51 PM

Personally, I'd give them both a miss and stay at the Marriott Renaissance Riverside Hotel, which has an excellent pool area and marvellous views over the river (request this though). The buffet breakfast is brilliant.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Minh_City.html
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 07:03 PM

two big hotels, I think Hyatt is good
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:37 PM

I stayed at the Sheraton a couple of weeks ago. Had a room on the SPG floor and it was very nicely furnished, new and in excellent condition. Big comfy bed, nice desk, coffee maker. Bathroom had a nice tub and a great shower. Had a city view not much different from the one from the bar atop the hotel. Definitely get a rate that includes breakfast as the buffet is wonderful. It has all the amenities. Great place to stay.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Mrwunrfl--Did you book the room on the Sheraton's web site or with a discounter? Did you have a high floor? How was the outside or inside noise factor?

Thanks Much
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 01:56 PM

booked on their website. 16th floor, IIRC. A little bit of traffic noise during rush hour, actually, but quiet overnight.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 05:04 PM

There's no heavy truck traffic on Dong Khoi or Dong Du streets so the worst you'll hear is motorbike and taxi horns.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 06:15 PM

That was about the level of the noise. I don't think it was from those streets, tho, but from Nguyen Hue avenue. Almost straight across from my room I could see the Kimdo Royal City Hotel. Too high, really, to see Dong Khoi.

I expected it to be perfectly quiet, but it was less than perfect. But it was not at all at a level where I was annoyed (believe me if it was a problem I would not have hesitated to have it fixed).

I suppose that late at night that it was very quiet because the few people riding their motorbikes and taxis at those hours would have had nobody to beep at. But you'd think they'd beep anyway out of force of habit.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 06:22 PM

Nguyen Hue is a major avenue and I could see down to the Rex Hotel and beyond. I think the noise may have been coming primarily from the intersection of Le Loi and Nguyen Hue.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 01:20 PM

HI, we just came back from staying at Sheraton Saigon for 1 week. We had a studio (which is a bit larger than a deluxe room) on the 9th floor. We have the city view, overlooking the same side as the previous poster. Sounds like noise is a factor for you and rest assured, it is not a problem. The noise is very very slight, only if you pay attention to it. It does not bother us at all. I have 2 kids so we often come back to the room to take naps in the afternoon. With the curtain close, you can't hear anything (even when it's open, I don't hear the noise, but my husband says there is a little bit if you pay attention). Dong Du street is a small, short street and Dong Khoi is not that crowded. It is far from the level of noise in Hanoi. Sheraton is very nice. Shower is one of those body shower where you have 3 shower heads(1 on top and 2 on both sides). Breakfast is excellent with many choices, both western and asian. Service was excellent and security is top notch. This is important for me since we have a 5 and 3 yr old and we want to use their babysitting service. We did not want any potential devious activity. Location is great. Park Hyatt location is close but I guess, it may not have a good view of the city since it is tucked back behind the tall hotels like Sheraton and Caravelle. Hope this helps. We will be back to VN next year and stay again at Sheraton. Concierge was friendly and very helpful (we have access to the Executive lounge so that is the concierge service that we use). Not sure about the normal concierge service on the first floor. HOpe this helps
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Many many thanks to all. Based on the great recos, we tried to book the Sheraton, but it is booked solid for 3 of our 8 nights. So we're doing Hyatt-3 nights, Victoria Can Tho, 1 night, Sheraton, 4 nights.

How is the noise factor at the Hyatt? Should we ask for 9th floor pool view?
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:05 PM

Yes, 9th floor pool view would be a good request.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 12:43 AM

IMO, I still think the Marriott would have been a better bet....
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 04:45 AM

We have booked the Htatt for January,would you suggest requesting a higher floor there as well?
We requested a room off the pool.
I was told that it is similar to the Four Seasons in Bangkok, which has little connected "houses".
Did I make a mistake?
I wouldn't want a noise level out of control at night.
Thanks
Bev
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:13 PM

The poolside rooms are nice. You have a small patio outside, then can walk directly to the pool from your room. Noise shouldn't be an issue, other than from the pool activity, but the pool closes probably by 10pm so that shouldn't be an issue in the evening.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Thanks Bisbee.
We loved the patio at the Four Seasons, and spent many happy hours there.
The pool noise wouldn't bother me a bit.
Are there any recommended restaurants within walking distance, or within the hotel?
My husband won't eat street food.
I will, but did become ill last year in Bangkok from a recommended "chicken" stand.
I do have a list of recommended restaurants that I have accumulated, but don't know Saigon, so not sure how close they are.
Would like suggestions nearby hotel, as well.
Thanks in advance
Bev
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 05:25 PM

There's at least 30 restaurants within walking distance or 5-10 minute cab ride. The ONE restaurant at the hotel is also quite good. Send me a note with the type of food you like and I can make some recommendations.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Thanks,.
We like good food, and would like the best Vietnamese.
Would consider any great restaurant suggestions.
Love good seafood.
Would like your opinion of the best Pho in Saigon.
We have many Vietnamese restaurants in Toronto, and I would like to compare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -