San Antonio/Lackland

Search

San Antonio/Lackland

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Antonio/Lackland

We are going to Lackland in august to see our son graduate from basic (Taa Daaa)

We're going to spend the whole week there as this will be our first time in San Antonio. Not interested in six flags or seaworld but plan to do the historical section. We wanted someplace nice that is close to Lackland. We were thinking the Hyatt Regency. Anyone been there? Thoughts on other places we should consider?
We liked this one cause it's a resort. We like the pool and river with innertubing plus the grounds looked like it's huge for walking at night and so on.
Would appreciate any and all input on this or others you think we should look at. We didn't know how far to look in each direction. We were worried about distance to and from the base. Thank you very much
Old May 21st, 2004, 12:53 PM
dcespedes

First of all, congratulations! You must be very proud!!

The Hyatt Hill Country Resort is just beautiful and it's away from the hustle / bustle which, during August, is a treat! We live in S.A. so we haven't stayed there but friends of ours have and love it. We've eaten at The Antlers restaurant and it is wonderful and highly recommend it. There's a Raddison close to the Hyatt but I don't think the property can be compared with the Hyatt. The only other hotel I can think of that is similar in quality, scenery is the Westin La Cantera but it's about 15-20 minutes further away. It's an easy drive from the Hyatt to Lackland (my husband is stationed at Lackland and we live on the NW side of town, not far from the Hyatt). I think if you stick with the Hyatt you won't be disappointed--after all, the Rolling Stones stayed there when they were in town so if it's good enough for the Stones.... Hope you enjoy a wonderful time here--it'll be hot but you'll be fine--stay cool in the pool!

Old May 21st, 2004, 12:55 PM
dcespedes

...one more thing, you mentioned visiting the historical sights so if you do choose the Hyatt, it's an easy drive to the Missions and downtown--enjoy!

Old May 21st, 2004, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies dcespedes. Very helpful. About how much driving time is it from Hyatt to Lackland? I've been looking through the chamber of commerce website and found the Hawthrone Suites on the river. They said they are 1 block from the alamo and historical section. The missions was one area we planned to hit often. We're not into Seaworld or sixflags.
So many nice places to stay there that it's making our choices tough. Hyatt looks perfect but the idea of being downtown and walking distance to everything is a plus too.
How far (or driving time) is it from downtown to Lackland
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

and yes, we are very very proud
Old May 21st, 2004, 03:20 PM
dcespedes

Hi there--given the choice, considering what you want to do while you're here, I would stay downtown--it's so beautiful along the river walk and with August being the heat of the summer it also serves as a nice respite from the heat as it is "below" street level. Also, you'll have more dining options. Driving time to Lackland is about the same, 15-20 minutes, and just as easy a drive from downtown. We've lived here going on 15 years and one of the things we love about living here is the ease in getting around. Please let me know if I can help you further. Take care

Old May 21st, 2004, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

You have been so helpful and we are very appreciative.

Here are the places we've looked at in downtown...Hawthorne Suites (riverwalk), Drury's riverwalk, Menger and someone said we should check out Hyatt and Westin (boy, is this tougher than we thought). We like the places that give free breakfasts, and we'll have a 14 year old with us so we're not looking for party central. It sounds like being on riverwalk is perfect. Are there places I'm leaving out that we should consider? Sure appreciate your help.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:33 AM
dcespedes

Hi there! There are quite a few hotels downtown with more on the way! I've heard very nice things about the Westin but I dont' know anything about Hawthorne Suites or Drury. To add to the mix there is the Marriott--there are two downtown--Marriott Rivercenter, which is "attached" to River Center Mall and located at one "end" of the RW and then there's the Marriott Riverwalk close by (Commerce Street divides the two hotels). There's a beautiful, older spanish-style hotel on the river that we've heard very nice things about--La Mansion Del Rio. The Hyatt is close to the Alamo and in a good, central location along the river. And then there's the Hilton but I hear the rooms may be in need of an update--it's in a great location, very close to La Villita. This is all so overwhelming, I know. For you it may come down to hotel amenities (free breakfast, etc.) because I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of these hotels. You can add a new post seeking feedback on these hotels and I would check out tripadvisor.com for reviews. You mentioned "party central"--we've been downtown at night for functions and we have friends who live downtown along the river (in the beautiful, historical King William District)--San Antonio is a wonderful family oriented city and there are plenty of park police on bikes and foot downtown who do a great job maintaining order, so to speak. Yes, there are bars and clubs but we've only experienced a high spirited atmosphere, nothing that is out of control. I hope this helps you!

Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Once again...a big "thank you". You have been very helpful to us. Spent a little time today checking out the one's you posted on your last post. It is so overwhelming. The good thing is that we decided on the riverwalk area. That seems to be the best move we've made yet.
We also checked out Beckman inn (B and B)
Found some info on them over the web.
La Mansion Del Rio looks real nice too. Wonder if there's a website where you could list all the hotels and compare them? If not, then someone should design one.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:13 PM

We were just in San Antonio last weekend. We stayed at Homewood Suites on the Riverwalk and we won't be staying there again.

While we were there I did look for hotels that I would like to stay in on a return visit and La Mansion del Rio was at the top of the list. The Westin Riverwalk was second. If we went back with our daughter and wanted something a little less expensive with free breakfast we'd look into the Drury Inn and Suites as a third option.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:18 AM
dcespedes

Have you looked at www.tripadvisor.com? They seem to do a pretty good job covering personal experiences as well as travel guide reviews. Here is a link to the Westin using tripadvisor.com--as you scroll down, on the left side, there is a list of other hotels in the city you can check out. It's a "busy" page, full of information, but I've used them with good results. Check out
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...nio_Texas.html and go from there. It would be nice if there were a chart that compared amenities, etc. and there may be I just don't know about it. Let me know if I can help you further! Take care,

Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:22 AM
dcespedes

Oooops, wrong Westin--here's the link to the Riverwalk Westin

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...nio_Texas.html

Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks dcespedes...tripadvisor.com is very helpful. Lot more reviews than anyother site I've found. It is helpful when you can read what others say. Our daughter is now looking for the best place to have mexican food on the riverwalk through that site. We have good places here in Washington but doubt they are as good as we can get down there.
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:18 AM
dcespedes

Hi Melmg, Mi Tierra, located in the Market Place (El Mercado)downtown is very popular with residents and visitors. I would also check out Rio Rio on the Riverwalk. There are so many good places to eat downtown, you won't go away hungry!

Old May 24th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

We pulled up their websites and checked out their menus. We were drooling all over the computer screen. LOL

Found this website that offers some comparisons although they don't list the places we've spoken about in this post. I'm putting here in case anyone might find it useful.
http://texastourism.com/Default.asp

BTW, Woodfield Suites??
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:13 PM
dcespedes

"drooling over the computer screen" LOL!!! Wow, never heard of Woodfield Suites--may be one of those places that's here today, gone tamale!

One of our all time favorite restaurants on the river is Boudro's

http://www.boudros.com/boudros/

And if you really want to treat yourselves try Biga on the Banks

http://www.biga.com/

Get those handi-wipes ready! AMC

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:22 PM
dcespedes

BTW Melmg, Washington state or D.C.? We moved here from Maryland 15 years ago so just curious. AMC

Old May 24th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Beautiful San Juan Islands of Washington state.

Will check out those other 2 places. Woodfield suites is about 5 blocks (it said) from riverwalk and the only reason I asked about it is because I never saw or heard anything about it until I did that web site's comparison chart.
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

BTW, how long (hours) of a drive is it from San Antonio to Fort Worth?

We have family there and they said it's a short drive but doesn't look like a short one.
These family members are the type who will sit home and say "well, your in my neighborhood, drive to us" in stead of saying "well, you've traveled a long distance, perhaps we can meet halfway or come to you".
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Yum, YUM, YUMMY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -