Albuquerque Hotels

Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Albuquerque Hotels

Has anyone ever stayed in Los Poblanos in Albuquerque? Also, any big difference between Hyatt Place Uptown and Hyatt Regency Uptown?
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 01:12 PM

I haven't stayed in any of them, but the Hyatt downtown is your typical Hyatt - big fancy lobby, restaurant, etc. Hyatt Place looks to be less fancy.

Lee Ann
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 01:27 PM

Hyatt place is a newer concept hotel. No full restaurant. There is a cold breakfast w/your rate. There is a very small (4 barstools) bar next to the front desk that serves red and white Mondavi wines and a few bottled beers and appetizers (like wings, that are frozen and they just nuke them). A smll fridge case sells some premade salads and sandwiches. Hyatt Regency is a full service hotel w/restaurants, etc. Hyatt Place (both the uptown and the one at the airport, I've stayed in both) are very nice w/large rooms and a big screen TV that angles towards the bedding area and the living area that has a sofa (some rooms have a large L shaped sofa). Hyatt Places in Albuquerque are a very good value, IMO.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 04:28 PM

The Regency is downtown and I think you will have to pay $10 per day parking. It has a "city hotel" feel to it. It is near downtown Central Ave where there are many bars, restaurants etc.

Hyatt Place Uptown is more "motel like" and it has a bit more suburban feel to it. It is close to the new Uptown Shopping Center which has upscale shops and restaurants.

Los Poblanos is a B&B in the north valley area known as Los Ranchos de Albquerque. It is a surprisingly rural area of ABQ, there is little in the way of shops or restaurants nearby - you would have to drive to get to them. A lovely setting, very different than the other 2.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 05:02 PM

Oh, if the OP is talking about the Hyatt Regency downtown (I was confused by calling it 'uptown"- I thought there was perhaps another Hyatt Regency uptown that I didn't know about) then I have stayed there also, several times, for both business and pleasure.

It is in a good location, 2 blocks from the bus station and stop for the nice buses that will take you out Central Ave (Rt 66) to Nob Hill. I highly recommend taking that bus and getting off at Carlyle and walking around Nob Hill, a great historic area with nice shopping and dining and architecture. It makes for a lovely afternoon. Try to eat at Zinc Wine Bar and Bistro, nice place.

The Hyatt Regency downtown is a nice cookie-cutter Hyatt Regency hotel, like the others in this chain. It has a Starbucks in the lobby, a jewelry store, a gift shop, nice clean rooms, a full service restaurant and a bar.

IMO, the Hyatt Places in ABQ are a much better value for the price.

One other thing. If you stay at the Hyatt Regency, there is a classic car show-off type of deal on Central Ave. (Rt. 66) behind the hotel on Sunday evenings. Very cool. You can sit outside at cafes and bars and watch the classic cars and other sooped up cars go by.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great feedback. Maybe b/c of the balloon fiesta and the location of the Hyatt Place, the difference in the room prices between the Hyatt Place and the Regency is not that great. I think I will keep my reservations at the Regency as I would like to be more centrally located. (Except for the mornings of the Balloon Fiesta).
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 02:31 PM

I'm sure Los Poblanos is more expensive than the Hyatt, but it is truly a one-of-a-kind experience. It's a 25 acre farm with beautiful historic architecture, gorgeous gardens, farm animals, etc. The rooms all have fireplaces and my wife loved having her NY times delivered every morning. We like to open our windows and get fresh air so I guess I'm biased against the large hotels, but Los Poblanos has a lot of ammenities too - organic breakfast was included, a little gym, outdoor pool, wi-fi, free bikes to ride, and I think they are adding flat screens to all the rooms (but ours did not have one). Anyway, you can get more reviews of Los Poblanos by doing some basic searches.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 08:13 PM

Los Poblanos..stayed there last fall and going back in a few weeks. It's charming, romantic, one-of-a-kind, old world, picturesque. Delightful breakfasts and lovely grounds for strolling.Fields of lavender with mountains in the backround. It is definitely not slick and modern. Most rooms are not air conditioned, for example. But it was not essential during the time we stayed there. If you are looking for unique, you will not be disappointed.