Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Kathmandu hotel - Yak, Hyatt or Soaltee?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Debating on which hotel to spend a few nights at in Kathmandu ---have read differing reviews on all, and can't decide. Price difference is minimal, and I'm leaning towards the Hyatt,thinking I can't go wrong. I know it's not center of the city, but transportation in Nepal isn't expensive, and we would rather stay at a comfortable place rather than a run down one in the city. Can anyone comment between Yak & Yeti, Hyatt or Soaltee.
Thanks!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 03:25 PM

The Yak and Yeti has an ideal location in the city. It has been many years since I stayed there. It closed for a while and re-opened rather recently, so I don't know if they means they did some renovations. It sounds like you know that Hyatt isn't in the city. I have read good reviews of it.

Sorry, I don't know the Soaltee.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 03:37 PM

when i planned a trip last year almost everyone suggested the hyatt to me....we ended up not going so i cannot say for sure...
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 06:55 AM

A friend of mine went on business and he stayed at the Hyatt. He can be quite critical of hotels but this one got his approval. The restaurants in that area seemed to close at about 9. We ate at a local roof-top terrace restaurant overlooking the Bodhnath Stupa. From the Hyatt you can walk there. I do agree with Kathie though, that the Yak and Yeti is better placed for Thamel. This is where all the shopping and restaurants are and it is within fairly easy walking distance. It is also closer to Durbar Square, a short taxi ride (but quite a long walk—guess who walked?).

Don’t forget to have a look at Dwarika’s. Again, it is not central but it is exquisite. Even if you do not stay there, do try their six course banquet. It is such an experience. Prince Charles has dined here. Pashupatinath, the most famous Hindu temple in the country, on the banks of the holy Bagmati River, is within walking distance of Dwarika’s or a very short taxi ride (depending on how energetic you feel).

Hyatt Regency Kathmandu Maybe the highest Hyatt?
http://www1.epinions.com/content_189187001988

Nepal is not just for trekkers. You too can do Kathmandu.
http://www1.epinions.com/content_185261657732

I also found this article on customs which could be of interest to you:

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/coun...ent/Nepal.html

Best wishes,

Gill
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:12 AM

I go with Hyatt Regency it has go it's own attraction for the people and it is really nice and standard one and also like to suggest you for Yak & Yeti...
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:10 PM

3 years ago I stayed in the Hyatt, Kathmandu and it was excellent. A big chain hotel but built in the local style. If you can afford to pay a little more, the Regency Club there can be worth the extra. Sorry I cannot comment on the other hotels you mention.

Have a good trip. Pat
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:33 PM

Gill;really appreciated those links in your email.my 23 year old daughter and I are planning a trip together for about 2 weeks in May wi/ 3 days Delhi/Agra and the remainder in Nepal. doing it all myself with lots of ehlp on sites like this one. I hadnot seen the web sites you mentioned, though. Wondering how I mightfind those and others.what are the key words and through google or another portal? thanks Jan
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Hi Jan,
Travel and travel writing are my hobbies.Well, like most Fodorites--my passion. I follow lots of websites and offer information when I have something relevant to offer. In return I have received a lot of help, especially from Fodor’s with my trip to Sarawak. I just use Google for searches. I also search the hotel’s own websites for prices and information. My friend who once lived in Nepal gave me some excellent advice when we went there a few years ago.

Key words:
Thamel
Durbar Square,
Pashupatinath, the most important Hindu temple in Nepal.
The Buddhist temple of Swayambhunath
Bodhnath, one of the largest stupas in the world, surrounded by a circular Tibetan village (near the Hyatt).
Nagarkot, the views from the top ridges are wonderful. Combine this with a visit to Changu Narayan, the double roofed temple dedicated to Vishnu.
Bungamati, a Newari village dating from the 16th century whose temple is dedicated to Rato Machhendranath who has power over rain. In the same area, Chobar Gorge is said to have been created by a mighty sword blow from Manjushri, the first divine teacher of the Buddhist doctrine.
Patan, the second ancient royal kingdom.
Baktapur, the third largest town in the Kathmandu valley and the third kingdom.

Maybe even a flight around Everest with Buddha Air.

Other items of interest:
Boris Lissanevitch (a colourful character who appears to have founded tourism in Nepal and father-in-law to my friend).He turned a former palace into the famous Yak & Yeti hotel.

Happy planning,

Gill
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:18 AM

thanks, Gill. the passion is appreciated. We're planning to stay at the Yak & Yedi. Perhaps you can help with the following: any info on guest houses in Sauraha? Tiger Tops is over the top for us. Atmosphere is important (my compnaion is my 22 year old daughter) but a guest house with some akin to air con and noted for its cleanliness are important. Hotel Paradise was recommended? any thoughts?
Also, spending 2 nights in Nargarkot and the Hotel Newa was recommended over Fort Royal (the Yak and Yedi lodging, from reading these threads, is like being in a western resort and the cost is much higher). thanks. Jan
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Hi. All are high end "business person" types of hotels. For convenience and a bit more local character I suggest the Yak.

Take care,

Andy Crisconi
One World Trekking
www.oneworldtrekking.com