Newark Airport to JFK

Search

Newark Airport to JFK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newark Airport to JFK

What is the best (cheapest) way to get from Liberty Airport to JFK. I fly in to EWR, but fly out of JFK for my trip to Dublin. I have plenty of time to get there.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 10:49 PM

Cheapest is likely Bus 62 from EWR to Newark Penn Station ($1.35), then PATH train to World Trade Center in Manhattan ($1.75), then Subway ($2) to somewhere in Queens with connection to either Bus 10 or B15 ($2) to JFK. Total $7.10.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 11:06 PM

How much time is plenty of time? If you took the path train, you could switch to the A train downtown and, I think, take it to the Airtrain. You could also take NJ transit to NY Penn Station and take the Long Island Railroad to Jamaica, then switch to the airtrain, but either way, the train could take hours.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 12:15 AM

The website for JFK is http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk.html. Click on "Ground Transportation” it will give you all the transport options.

While the above routing suggested is certainly cheap, it will take several hours. In addition to the time, I myself would not want to do that many transfers, deal with buying that many tickets, and would not want to lug bags onto the PATH or worse the subway (stairs are likely to be involved on the subway). Also if your journey is during rush hours, the PATH and subways are likely to be very crowded with commuters will may not welcome you and your bags.

The next best in terms of cost/convenience would be the direct private bus service between the two airports. It takes 90 minutes and costs US $30. Runs every hour on the hour. Take a look at http://www.olympicairporter.com/services.html or call Airporter at 1- 732-938-6666. You can reserve a seat ahead of time. See http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-a...nnections.html for other direct bus options.

You can take a private car service for a faster trip. Something like Dial 7 car service will cost about US$80-100 for the transfer, depending on the car you choose and number of bags. The rates do not include tolls or tip. You can simply call them when you land, or make an advance booking, see http://www.dial7.com/. (Calling when you land is easier as you won’t be charged wait time, they have lots of cars standing by.) Without traffic the trip between the two airports will take about an hour. Rush hours are weekdays and are generally between 7-9:30 am and 3 – 7 pm, and can add to the overall trip time.

A cab is also possible and would cost about $80. See the website for JFK airport listed above for info.

You say you have plenty of time, I would think that as a comfortable cushion you would want 4-5 hours between flights just in case all things go wrong like lots of traffic, some security issue on a bridge or tunnel, etc.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 04:38 AM

The best "cheapest" is somewhat dependent on how many of you there are, how much luggage you have and the time of day you're traveling. If you're alone, I'd take the direct shuttle for $30.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 04:50 AM

To take that public transit route yuo need to leave yourself at least 4 hours travel timte - plus the 2 hour check-in window at JFK plus the time from wheels down out to the street at EWR - so at least 7 hours. And be ready to haul your luggage up and down numerous flights of stairs.

If there is a shuttle bus connection (I thougih it had been cancelled but I may be wrong) for only $30 it is the bargain of all time.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 07:03 AM

The most direct non-bus option is the Airtrain/NJT to NY Penn Sta. ($15), then the E Train to Jamaica ($2.25), then the Airtrain to JFK ($5). Total $22.25. With any luck, you could do this in two hours on a weekday. Allow more time on weekends.