New york trip planning

Jan 13th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

New york trip planning

We are thinking of seeing in the 2009 new year in New york, arriving around the 29th Dec till 3rd Jan. we have two boys aged 18 and 19 who will be traveling with us. We would be most grateful for any advice and recomendations for hotels and things to do and see, budget wise we are not sure at the moment as in the English travel brochure's we are looking at £1200 per room, we are looking for two rooms or somewhere where there would be two seperate bedrooms any help would be most gratefull.
Jan 13th, 2008, 04:02 AM

I don't understand your question. What is your budget per room, per night? And since you clearly have internet access, why are you relying on printed travel brochures? Have you read any of the past threads here related to New York City hotels?
Jan 13th, 2008, 04:07 AM

is that for the whole stay and where is that hotel?

I like the Affinia chain. They have two bedroom apartments so you might want to check with them.
Jan 13th, 2008, 04:49 AM

Hi Steve. If you provide a few more details others will chip in with more useful reponses.

ie tell us what your per night budget is. It would be preferable to convert it to US$ as that is what most people on this site are used to. Also, state whether that rate includes taxes or not.

You may also want to provide details about which area you might like to stay in and whether you want a standard hotel room or something with a kitchenette, lounge area etc.

Also, provide a few details on what your family likes to do and others will offer advice. ie history, art, seeing the Christmas lights, shopping etc.

Use the search box above to find info on NYC hotels and things to do. I would ignore Anon's snip at using printed travel brochures. I use them too for ideas and then do further research on the net.
Jan 13th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, yes we have been looking at a brochure to get some feel of the hotels, but we only started looking today so i thought that i would get some feedback from people especially as the new year has just passed and things would be fresh in their minds.We as a family like the normal things, the sights,christmas lights, shopping, to go to an open air skating ring would be nice, visit a jazz bar/ the boys dont like traipsing around looking at museums but we like looking at areas and buildings with character and history.We thought that there might be some suggestions of not so well known/advertised sights/ attractions aswell.The $2500 was for one room for 5 nights (although we need to book 2 bedrooms ) ,our top priority would be for a clean place friendly with a personal touch, a kitchenette is not important, not too far from the centre as we would like to see the new year in times square and to feel safe when around at night. I have been on the internet for quite some time today looking at hotels, prices yet not available direct.
Spending the new year in New York is something i have wanted to do for some time now so as i am being made redundant at the end of the year i thought we could see out the old and in with the new in a great place such as New York a really fresh start. Sorry that our question was not precise but we are hoping for some helpful info to kick start our thinking in what our itinerary could be.
Many thanks
Steve

Jan 13th, 2008, 09:46 AM

Well- first off you need to understand that your sons are underage and cannot drink in the US (our legal minimum is 21) - so they can;t get into bars or dance clubs. You can naturally eat in restaurants/bars with music - but they are serious about carding anyone that looks under about 30.

Second - you really do NOT want to be in Times Square that night. You'll get upwards of a million people who start gathering in prime spots at around 3 in the afternoon. As each block is filled with people the police put up barricades and that area is closed until midnight. You can leave if you must - but can't get back in. To get a place from which you can see much you will probably have to stand from about 5 pm at the latest - in a barricaded block which may or may not have portapotties or anyplace to eat/drink. You can;t bring in any large backpacks or any liquor. The hotels with entrances in the prime area are blocked (guests have to use back entrances, and subway stations start closing at about 4pm - so people can;t take the train and try to sneak in that way.)

So - unless you don;t mind standing for 7 hours - and have very strong bladders - this is not a great idea. Also - if the weather is good - around 40 - you will get many more people. If the weather is bad - 20's with snow or sleet you'll have fewer people - but much more unpleasant conditions. I did this once while in college - an IMHO is not for those over 20.

You can book dinner/special event in a couple of restaurants/hotels that have views of the ball drop - but last year it was about $1000 per person for the evening.

IMHO a much better idea is to have a nice dinner in a restaurant outside the area (from 6th to 8th Aves and from 40th to about 48th Sts are blocked solid) and then go to Central Park to watch the fireworks at midnight.

You should be able to find several moderate places with double rooms at $500 each - even at that time. Where depends on your intrests. Most New Yorkers avoid Times Square as loud, tacky and garish (think of staying in the middle of Picadilly Circus). I would look at Central Park South, midtown east or the Upper West Side to get more for your money. And since tourist sights are spread out over a large are what's is important is good access to the subway.

Affinia group hotels get generally good reviews. On the upper west side you could try the Lucerne, On the Ave or even the Beacon.

Jan 13th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

NYTRAVELER
Thanks for the information the Affinia hotel sounds like what we need,the twin room apartment sounds perfect, i did look at the Affinia fifty ealier today so i will get in touch with them. this is the type of information money can't buy thankyou. I can now start looking and building the Holiday we will be happy strolling around looking at the sites and the wife will be happy shopping. We will have to look at somwhere tohave a meal and to base ouselves for that night. many thanks
steve
Jan 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM

steve707, post your question as well on the frommers.com message board. Pauline Frommer, who wrote "Pauline Frommer's New York (See More Spend Less)" replies to questions on that forum and can suggest music clubs where those under 21 are welcome.
nytraveler and others here are NYC experts, and are incredibly helpful with specific questions. NYC is much smaller than London, everything is easy to get to and the subway is safe and clean, so you don't need to be right in the Times Square area to be part of the city.
Jan 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Well actually NYC is much BIGGER than London. The NYC Metro area has a population of about 20 million - versus only about 8/9 million for London.

But it is true that most things you will want to see are located in the southern half of Manhattan - but the same is true of Central London. Still - it's an ara about 8 miles long and a couple of miles wide - plus islands in the harbor - so you'll need to get familiar with the subway.

Yes, there are restaurants (a bunch) with music that you can go with your kids - but dance clubs - or bar only music venues can't let them in.
Jan 14th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Another question if i may we will be flying from Heathrow to New York and have the choice of which airport to fly to, which Airport would be best to fly to JFK or Newark. Again many thanks
steve
Jan 14th, 2008, 05:09 AM

I'd suggest flying in JFK airport if you have a choice. There are 2 reasons. For four people, the best way into the city may be by taxi, and there's a flat rate from JFK to Manhattan ($45, plus tolls of usually $4.50 plus a tip for a total of about $60); taxis from Newark are very expensive (well over $60 for the fare alone in most cases, and everything is on the meter and DOUBLE because you have to pay for the taxi to go back to NJ).

If you don't have much luggage, it might be better to take the Airtrain to the Long Island Railroad, not to save money (you won't) but to save time if you arrive during rush-hour. It can take well over an hour to get into the city during that busy period, and the Airtrain takes about 30 mintues.

I also think you need to understand something about NY hotel prices: the price you were quoted for a two-bedroom suite is actually really good. I doubt you'll find anything better than $500 per night for that kind of room during the busiest and most expensive time of the year in NYC. During the holidays, regular rooms (with just one double bed) often go for more than $400 per night, and these are rooms that typically go for half that price during the rest of the year. The average price for a hotel room in NYC is now about $300 per night.

Having said all that, it's a great time to be in NYC. But prices for New Year's Eve are drastically over-inflated and not usually worth it. As the holidays approach, you can look online to find a good place to go. Make reservations about 30 days in advance.
Jan 14th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. May i ask how safe the subway is. The accomodation was $500 per room so that would have been $1000 per night. Our two boys like to have their own room so do we now they are adults. We have found a place near central park and are awaiting a reply it is a good price for what it the accomodation offers. thanks again.
steve
Jan 14th, 2008, 06:42 AM

Steve, I misunderstood about the pricing, but that's still a typical price for a room at that time period, but you might do better by booking a 2-bedroom suite at some hotels. Look at Radio City Apartments as well. The location is unbeatable, and many people here swear by these.
Jan 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
MaureenB

The Affinia Gardens is on the upper east side, and has very nice two-bedroom suites.
>-

Jan 14th, 2008, 08:24 AM

That is just about the priciest time of year, but you can probably get a better rate than US$500 per night.

Look at the group of hotels called Apple Core, at Applecorehotels.com . We just stayed at the Red Roof Inn, across the street from the Empire State Building, and were very pleased with it. They are currently showing a nightly price of $329 for the end of December. With free breakfast and WiFi!
Jan 14th, 2008, 08:45 AM

The subway is perfectly safe in all of the tourist areas and - unlike London - runs 24/7. (There are some places in the outer boroughs I wouldn;t take it late at night - but you won;t be anywhere near them.)

It runs somewhat less often between midnight and 6 am - you might have to wait 10/15 minutes for a train. during the day they run every 5/6 minutes or so except at rush hour - then they're as close together as they can get them.

Crowding at busy times is similar to central London - and the only potential danger is pickpockets. So, just be sure you keep your valuables in front of you (backpacks are a REALLY bad idea).
Jan 14th, 2008, 08:57 AM
dmlove

Two comments to Doug's comments about transportation into the city from the airport....first, the last time I took a taxi from Newark to mid-town Manhattan, it was about $65 total (including tip and tolls). I did not have to pay double to get the cab back to Newark. Maybe that depends on day of week and time of day -- it was a Wednesday morning in summer. Second, the AirTrain may take only 30 minutes to get TO the Long Island Railroad or subway, but it takes about 1-1/4 hours to get you to your hotel in mid-town Manhattan from the airport. That still may be better than taking a taxi in rush-hour traffic, but I didn't want you to think this was like "beam me up".

Jan 14th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Our family stayed at the San Carlos Hotel over Thanksgiving. We have two sons, aged 17 and 19. We had a one bedroom suite, and it was excellent. We couldn't have been more pleased with the service, the location and the atmosphere.
Nov 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM

We got an excellent price at a 3-1/2 star hotel in Times Square through PriceLine. Less than half the median price for that quality hotel in that area.