Search

New York trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York trip

My wife and I are going to be staying at the Belvedere Hotel for a week in April.

We have never been to New York before so I am open to any suggestions about itineraries that anyone can come up with.

My brother is getting married in Central Park--Shakespeare Garden--April 9.

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Hello,
I think it would be helpful if you were to elaborate on the things you like to do - museums, walking, restaurants, sites, etc.. - and how long you will by in NY. This would help people to respond. Also, if you do a search here on NYC you can read trip reports where people have shared how they have divvied up their time.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Whoops! I see you did mention that you would be here for a week.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Hi robmac
It would help everyone out a great deal if we had an idea of your interests and budget. There are way too many activities to do in New York to possibly list them and an itinerary. Are you interested in museums, architecture, Broadway shows, night clubs, restaurants, shopping, spending time outdoors, etc. ?

Just narrow it down a bit and I'm sure you will get many helpful replies.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Before anyone else jumps down your throat, let me suggest you first explore this site (or travel books) and come up with a rough itinerary and idea of things you want to see and do then come back with specific questions.

(If you click on "Destinations" and "New York City" on this site there is tons of information including a sample 5-day itinerary.)

Open-ended questions like yours are extremely difficult to answer and few people will bother.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Robin and I posted at the same time. oops!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Wow, we all had the same idea at the same time. Talk about piling on poor robmac.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Hi Robmac,
I have been watching this forum occasionally while planning, yes, another trip to Italy, and figured I could chime in on some local NYC information.
I recommend first of all- avoid Times Square, Seaport and midtown if at all possible. It is all touristy, expensive and fairly generic- you could be anywhere (except maybe for the lights.) Local favorite activities include visiting Strawberry Fields or Belvedere Castle in Central Park, strolling the Hudson in Riverside Park, ice skating at Chelsea Piers, taking a relaxing (free)round trip on the Staten Island Ferry, shopping for foods at Zabars and Fairway, wandering Noho and Soho. Folks who like musuems like the Natural History one, and the Met on fridays nights is crowd free and relaxing-and dinner there is good. Its also "pay as you wish", anytime. You have time to plan ahead -so think about taking one of the Joyce Gold history walking tours- pick a neighborhood, they are all good (I am partial to the Lower East Side.)

As for food-NYC residents eat out a lot, and normal folks tend towards the lower cost choices with lots of atmosphere. Save your steak appetite for Chicago, and wait for Kansas City for ribs. NYC is international-do "ethnic." In fact-name a country, Tibet, Burma, Ethiopia, Korea, are you will find a good restaurant. If you like Indian there is "Curry Hill" (Lexington and 27) with 12 restaurants, and "Curry Lane" (6th Street and 1st Ave) with 15 plus restaurants.Some of it is, as other postings say,a little on the Bangledeshi -side, but that is good too.) Take the #7 to Jackson Heights and roam around in an International world. Just do you research then hit the subway. You can have a lot of fun, eat well and cheaply in NY unlike many other cities. And it can be an adventure.

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Even if you did all pile on me, you still came up with good suggestions.

Thanks
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:55 AM

There are some ideas for walking tours here
http://fodors.com/miniguides/mgresul...ur_section=ove

Go to Top of the Rock (the new observatory at Rockefeller Center).

If you go shopping at Macy's or Bloomingdales, register at the customer service desk with proof of your "out of townness" and get a card for discounts.

Check broadwaybox.com and/or playbill.com closer to your trip for discounts on theater tickets you can buy ahead with codes.

Go to nycvisit.com and check their calendar for events going on during your stay.

If you've got specific questions, fire away.