First Time Trip To New York...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi... 3 of my girlfriends and I are taking a trip to New York for our 30th birhtdays. We are going Sep 30 - Oct 5. None of us have ever been before so I'm looking for some suggestions on hotels, things to do etc. A few people I've talked to have said to stay in the midtown area because it is central to everything. As far as hotel we would like to stay somewhere with somewhat of a young crowd..late 20's to early 30's? any suggestions?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Since there are many questions like this, I would first suggest typing New York City into the search box and read all the threads that come up there.
There is SO much to do and see, that might help you narrow down more of what you like and your interests.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

I've kinda already been searching through all the threads. I've gotten a few ideas as far as sightseeing and all that. I'm looking for more suggestions on hotels. Price isn't too much of a concern.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Kal

That age I'd suggest something more down neat G'Village/Soho/Tribeca area esp if price isn't too much a concern?

Seemed to be a younger hipper crowd.

You can always hop a cab to the UES/UWS for a visit.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:05 PM

http://newyorkled.com/

This site is fun for all kinds of info.
Since I lived there, I never actually stayed in any hotels, but the Plaza a couple of times when celebrating something..
a friend just spent the weekend in NYC with her brother and mom and they stayed at a European boutique type hotel on the East side, now I do not remember the name
Be back with it soon LOL
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the website. Looks like theres a lot of good info.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Kal is right. My friend and family are in their 40s with their mom, they stayed at the Bentley, I think.
If money is no matter, how about the Soho Grand or the Mercer?
Very cool and right out the door are all the great shops, restaurants and some good night life..and then the meat packing district for more cool fun
I am making myself homesick
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Kal

Ms Scarlett-If only Mrs Kal would admit that from time to time!

There was place we staggered by...I mean walked by...in Tribeca we'd love to try and stay the next trip.
I think it was near the Gingino's on Greenwich, a few blocks east? <hic> :-"
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Kal, precious, wives never say it about their husbands! Only other wives husbands LOL Scarlett
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Some hotels with a younger crowd:

Hotel Gansevoort in the Meatpacking District.
Tribeca Grand.
Soho Grand.
Union Square W.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:32 PM

vacationdreamer's list is excellent but FYI none of those are "midtown." Midtown is not necessarily the trendiest area but yes it's central. The closest to midtown on that list would be the W Union Square. There's a W in Times Square but don't know about the crowd there. Check tripadvisor.com for reviews. The meatpacking district is one of the trendiest areas right now. There are a lot of good restaurants in the east 20's. A good hotels in that area is the Giraffe. What sort of things do you want to do?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Well, we're gonna do a lot of the touristy stuff like statue of liberty, empire state building etc. and definately shopping. But most of that stuff will be done during the day. Any suggestions for good restaurants and clubs/bars would be appreciated. We live in Los Angeles so we're not really concerned about celebrity sightings or that type of thing, but we do want to go to a fun club or even a cool bar lounge type of place.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 06:03 PM

Sounds like a blast! You'll have a great time to be sure! With due respect to the previous posters concerning which area to stay in...those of us who have heard about the Big Apple all these years but haven't had the chance to visit before REALLY enjoy the Mid-Town area for our first stay. There is nothing in the world like standing in Times Square after dark for the first time (and I've been to lot's of places in this world!) Having said that DO take the subway and DO visit Tribecca and the Village, SOHO etc....My goodness you will have lot's of time!

As to where to stay, of course the big hotels are all very nice. My 18 year old daughter accompanied me to a trade show in June and because it was last minute we booked at a place called Hotel 41. It was great! We both loved it but must warn that the rooms are small. Very easy 1 block from subway and 2 blocks from Times Square.

They have a website and are very friendly if you need to call with questions. Have fun!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:44 AM

I live in NYC and am a reformed party girl (now 35 and married). My club-going days are behind me, but I have a few suggestions to offer:

Hotels: agree W Union Sq is a good choice. the bar scene is rocking and Olives restaurant is fab (Todd English is chef). There are other restaurants/bars nearby to check out: Union Square, Steak Frite, Park Avenue, Candela, etc. You can easily walk to Flatiron (has some good shopping and more restaurants) or cab/subway it downtown to Soho or uptown to shop.

Also agree that staying downtown at Soho Grand or the Mercer or Tribeca Grand could be fun. Definitely hipster crowds and you could walk around Soho and Tribeca, which have TONS of bars/clubs/shopping. Meatpacking area is trendy and has hip restaurants & clubs but otherwise it's a bit of a no-man's land. I don't know that I'd want to stay there on my first visit to NYC.

Keep in mind that you will cab or subway it to most everything, so it's not necessary to be midtown.

If you really do want to be in midtown, there's the Hudson Hotel (though heard mixed things), W Times Sq, W New York (at Lexington Ave; has Whisky Blue Bar), Paramount or the Royalton (both of which have TEENY TINY rooms)

Also check out some good suggestions at:

http://newyork.sheckys.com

http://www.nymetro.com

http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/NewYork

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Downstairs lounge at Spice Market in meatpacking district is cool. Also a bar called Coda in the east 50's. The roof of the Gramercy Hotel on Thursday night is great. Also, Bryant Park Grill Bar on 40th between 5th & 6th is great at happy hour. I'd stay at Gansevoort or Hudson
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 12:01 PM

All the hotels I gave you are close to subways, so I don't think it will be that big of a deal not being in Midtown, and I'd choose to be able to walk/short cab ride from dinner/bars with a longer ride to day activities (Times Sq., Central Park, etc.). Plus you're actually closer to a lot of sites - Downtown, Ferry to NY, Brooklyn, etc. than you would be in Midtown.

trajeang is right about the meatpacking district, it is trendy but, if you're not used to a very urban experience (can't think of exactly how to say what is in my head), it might be a bit much.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for all the info. We still haven't decided on a hotel, but we did decide it will be somewhere in the midtown area. Trajeang I've heard good things about the atmosphere at the W times square and union square, but that the rooms are super small. I've actually heard that about quite a few of the hotels in NYC. Is this true?This might be a problem since there will be 4 of us in a room. We're actually having an issue with that cause 2 of us want to get 2 rooms and the others think it will be fine with 4 of us in 1 room. So we'll see how that all plays out. It should be interesting.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 01:51 PM
SAB

4 women, 1 bathroom--think about it!!!!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 07:00 PM
bamakelly

Divine is a great little bar on the East side. It's a wine bar but you can get other drinks as well--i think they serve appetizers too. Funky decorations, live music. very swanky!

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 10:07 AM

Pretty much all the boutique hotels in NYC have small rooms (that would include the W). We're tight for space in this city! And SAB is right -- 4 of you trying to get ready in one bathroom is trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -