Search

New York

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York

30 years ago spent my honeymoon in New York. I've done many of the tourist things, Statue of Liberty, Empire State, Broadway, etc. Returning for 5 days to celebrate and want to see and experience things that we haven't seen before. Thinking of Greenwich Village, Twin Tower Memorial, maybe a taping of Letterman, Dark Horse on Bradway....What else should we do? We are pretty eclectic and enjoy a variety...some history, shopping, cultural and food!
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 11:21 PM

The Met Museum
Museum of Modern Art
Highline

I think you mean War Horse at Lincoln Center

Ethnic restaurants

Self walking tour of Brooklyn Heights or DUMBO
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 03:27 AM

Visit Top of the Rock
Highline
Any of the major museums has much updated exhibits
East Village and SoHo are completely different neighborhoods

You need to get Letterman tickets in advance - and check which days he is taping
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 03:32 AM

The Top of the Rock - Christies - Central Park - It has really changed in 30 years. Lots of other possibilities here:

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

When are you coming?
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 03:41 AM

Frick Collection
Ellis Island
Tenement Museum
Cloisters
MoMA
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 04:39 AM

Oh - the subway has changed a lot as well. Use it!
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 05:09 AM

The Morgan Library - http://www.themorgan.org/home.asp
Eataly or Chelsea Market - http://eatalyny.com/
http://www.chelseamarket.com/

Check this out for some other great ideas I got last year:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-you-dosee.cfm
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 07:27 AM

I am a native New Yorker and I always try to encourage visitors to leave their comfort zone to discover an area most tourists don't know about, or have to time to see.
I suggest a trip to the Washington Heights area of Manhattan. Here you can visit the Cloisters (medieval) Museum in Fort Tryon Park. There is a lovely restaurant there named New Leaf, but I would recommend that you save your appetite for the local food. Also in the area is the Morris-Jumel Mansion,which was built in 1765 by a British colonel for his American wife. It's another one of George Washington's stomping grounds. It it was his headquarters in 1776. The older part of Trinity Cemetery is where Charles Dickens' son is buried along with John Audubon, the naturalist. The Church of the Intercession on Broadway at West 155th Street is an example of Neo-Gothic architecture. The site of the old Museum of the American Indian is diagonally across the street, but it now houses Boricua College. The Dyckman House is not too far either. Original Dutch Colonial home. This is a very loud and fun neighborhood with salsa music blasting from the storefronts. The people are friendly. Try some of the Dominican/Puerto Rican food at El Malecon on Broadway (roast chicken like you've never had it before with rice, beans, maduros, tres leches cake), LaSala Cafe and Art Gallery on Dyckman Street exhibits the work of local artists and the food is good. Or, a little hole in the wall named La Dinastia, on Broadway, (Chinese/Cuban/Puerto Rican/Dominican food)where the Chinese waiters speak fluent Spanish and they don't have to write down your order. Excellent pork chops, but everything is tasty. Try not to leave without a stop at the Dominican bakery on St. Nicholas Avenue for strong coffee and sweet Dominican cake or pastry.Mind you, none of these places are for the health conscious, but it's not going to hurt just once. There's great cheap shopping along St. Nicholas Avenue. There's a store across the street from Church of the Incarnation on St. Nicholas Avenue and West 175th Street that sells clothes left over from chain stores such as WalMart, KMart, Target, and Macy's to name a few. Dirt cheap. Shoes, too. There isn't any ambience to speak of, but there's lots of local character to take in while you rummage through the racks. If you're still up to it, take a walk across the George Washington to Fort Lee Historic Park. The views are amazing from there.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 07:52 AM

There is an extraordinary amount of new building in the last 30 years, especially the recent fascination with undulating and colored glass.

Among our favorites are the new Cooper Union Building on Third Ave and 7th Street. The new Gehry apartment building on Spruce Street which claims to be the largest residence in the Western Hemisphere, the coop at 40 Bond and the Westin Hotel near Times Square.

The East Village has changed dramatically and is the best value restaurant value area in area.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 08:13 AM

Consider a sunset sail by the Statue of Liberty, leaving from Chelsea Piers, a memorable experience for anyone. We found this at sail-nyc.com. They have other excursions there too!