Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York Historical Society Museum and/or Museum of the City of New York

Old Oct 20th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

A friend and I will be going to NYC later this week for a couple of days. She's interested in going to the New York Historical Society Museum, and it does look like it could be quite interesting. Can anyone advise how much time we should expect to spend there if we'd like to see most of what they have to offer? I see that one of their galleries (the Luce Center) is closed for renovations, if that makes a difference. I'm trying to figure out where to best fit it into our itinerary.

I also wondered how that museum compares with the Museum of the City of New York - are they similar? Is one better than the other? I think I went to the second one about 45 years ago, when I was a teenager, but I'm not sure which one it really was. I remember they had a collection of costumes from Broadway shows, though I don't know if that was a permanent or special exhibit - lifelong theater fan that I am, I remember that I loved seeing that. I doubt we would go to both on this trip, but I did wonder about the difference between the two of them. Thanks for any information.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 12:22 AM

Check their current exhibitions. I think that the Museum of the City of New York has a better permanent collection.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 04:54 AM

Definitely look at their current exhibitions. We are near the NY Historical Soc so we tend to go more often -and usually you can see everything in a couple of hours. Have not been to Museum City of NY for a coupe of years and not sure what they have on display now. This too is worth a couple of hours unless they have something special you are really interested in.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 08:01 AM

I would also go based on which current exhibitions are of most interest. I've been to both and seem to like the Museum of City of NY better, I agree with Michael. I usually spend a couple hours in them.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 08:25 AM

The Museums are similar in concept - the history of NYC. The presentation tends to be different.

I agree that whichever you decide to go to should based on what may be on special exhibit.

I have been to both and could never decide which I liked better.

The NY Historical Society (NYHS)is easier to get to via public transportation (B or C train to 81st St-Museum of Natural History). NYHS is on 77th St, across from the Museum of Natural History. At 81st St station use the exit at the rear of the platform.

The Museum of the City of NY (MCNY)is on E103rd St & 5th Av (6 train to 103rd St and then walk 3 long blocks to 5th Avenue).
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 09:06 AM

We've decided on the New York Historical Society because of the Thomas Cole paintings on exhibit.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 09:26 AM

Right now the Museum of the City of NY has an interesting exhibit of the folk music scene in NY during the '60's.

And I see a new Jacob Riis exhibit just opened.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 09:51 AM

I'm looking forward to the Jacob Riis exhibit.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone - this has been helpful! I'll see what my friend wants to do.
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 06:43 AM

Jacob Riis exhibit reviewed in today's Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/23/ar...?ref=arts&_r=0
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 11:26 AM

Too funny, I get the Times and it's sitting in front of me but I haven't opened it this morning. IT seems easier to click the link than open the paper itself, no wonder the physical papers are going away!

Thanks for the heads up...
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 12:28 PM

I am glad the exhibit notes what a bigot Riis was. He cared little about the poor except for his own ends.
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 01:37 PM

There are many really great exhibits at City of New York right now. Riis, Folk City, the Great Race, Public Housing, 50th anniversary of the Landmarks commission -- I could go on and on. I will be attending a Marathon related panel there on Halloween afternoon. Just wrote a post about it.

http://thestarryeye.typepad.com/expl...tours-and.html

You missed the Hirschfeld exhibit at NY History but there's a lot of good stuff there right now along with a nice restaurant. And, if you get a chance check out the Alice at 150 exhibit at the library of the performing arts at Lincoln Center.