New Orleans - Hotel Help

Search

New Orleans - Hotel Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans - Hotel Help

We are planning our first trip to New Orleans during spring break. Family of 4 including 2 kids. Would love your feedback on the following hotels:

Ritz
Windsor Court
W hotel
Monteleone
any others in this category?

I heard that the area around Ritz is not very nice. We are looking for a luxury hotel, with a New Orleans charm, a nice big pool, in the French Quarter.

Truly appreciate your feedback and suggestions.
Thanks
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 09:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Monteleone. From someone who went there for the first time last month. I took the sage advice of Fodors. I didn't even know there was a pool until our last night, and, darn, we forgot the swim suits!

The Ritz is not in a "bad" area, but not a great area. Same for the W. I realize that I wanted a place on Bourbon Street, but now having been there -- as much as I don't mind noise -- OMG, even I would not have been happy on Bourbon Street.

There was NOTHING that I did NOT like about the Monteleone -- it was an incredibly beautiful property. It was one block from Bourbon Street, so quiet. It had a GREAT staff and GREAT concierge. It had the coolest bar EVER, and the drinks (at least by Los Angeles standards) were CHEAP. We had 2 mixed drinks, for example, with a healthy mix of booze, for $15.00. Try the Ramos Gin Fizz.

The lobby was nothing short of New Orleans luxury charm -- gorgeous chandeliers, so tasteful.

In walking distance of EVERYTHING -- restaurants, bars, Jackson Square, everything.

Pool on the roof is spectacular and like a spa it's so warm!

Now, having said all that, we had to run over to the Roosevelt, which was several blocks from us, just on the other side of Canal Street. We went to check out the bar. I will admit that their lobby and their bar were unbelievable.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 04:33 AM

I'd eliminate the Ritz. It's not the same quality as other Ritz properties, and it's on the absolute edge of a less safe part of NO.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 05:01 AM

Another vote for Hotel Monteleone. We loved the location. The rooftop fitness center was great and the pool looked nice (but the weather was too cold and we were too busy). We had a large two room suite which would have been great for kids.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 05:28 AM

The Ritz in NO is NOT very pleasant and doesn't measure up to their other properties. And it's very close to a high crime area (there is an armed security guard in the elevator lobby and a friend of mine was held up at gun point only a coupe of blocks away). I would never reco anyone stay there.

Monteleone is a good location - although I had a bad experience there: given a room that apparently a pack of college kids had been in and was not cleaned properly (unpleasant things under the bed and part of the carpet wringing wet from ???).
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 07:58 AM

Not quite as upscale as your query, but very, very nice and in a wonderful location would be the Four Points by Sheraton/French Quarter. It's centrally located in the Quarter, on Bourbon Street which makes walking anywhere extremely easy to do. The rooms facing Bourbon or Toulouse tend to be noisy, but they have balconies that make for excellent people watching. Back rooms open toward the courtyard which includes the pool. The onsite restaurant and bar are both top notch.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpo...ropertyID=3766
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Monteleone it is then. However, I am a little skeptical about some of these historic hotels after our experience last year at another historic hotel.

We fell in love with the Hotel Del Coronado in Coronado, CA when we visited 15 years ago. It was absolutely wonderful and truly luxurious. However, when we revisited last year, we were equally disgusted. It had lost all its old charm, was just overcrowded, filled with people everywhere.

I hope Monteleone is not one of those. Would love your feedback.
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 06:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I thought the hotel might have some historic woes, so was pleasantly surprised that everything seems to have been discretely upgraded. We had a parlor room as an upgrade with a bathroom to die for.

Even though the Carousel Bar is a destination point, and it was crowded, not disgustingly overcrowded. Indeed, on each occasion we had a drink there, we were able to get at least one seat at the bar, and shortly thereafter, a second seat.

I think it depends on what's going on at any point in time. I think it may have been busier when we were there, because it was the first weekend of the Mardi Gras parades, followed immediately with a huge influx of people coming in to prep for the Super Bowl. Indeed, we had to sign some agreement promising to leave that Sunday, because from that Sunday to the following Sunday, their rooms were fully booked and they couldn't risk any hold overs!

I think since New Orleans and the French Quarter are party central year around, it is festive every day, but may get a bit much (and I'm only supposing, no first hand knowledge) on the day of Mardi Gras; perhaps Spring Break; and I'm going to guess also during the Tales of the Cocktail that takes place at several of the hotels in New Orleans, including the Monteleone.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 04:12 AM

Check out the Royal Sonesta--very nice, very New Orleans-y, great pool.

http://www.sonesta.com/royalneworleans/
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 05:47 AM

Monteleone doesn't draw the kinds of looky-loo crowds that the Hotel Del does. Yes, people come for the Carousel Bar, but with 2 kids I don't know how much time you'll be spending in there anyway. As an old, historic hotel, it certainly has its quirks - don't expect everything to be shiny and new. But it is a gracious old grande dame, epitomizing the weathered elegance and hospitality that characterizes the city as a whole. And the location is perfect.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 08:46 AM

I lived in New Orleans for years & I return a couple of times a year. I have stayed in all the hotels you are considering & hands down, I would recommend Windsor Court. The others don't even compare to Windsor. Monteleone is busy, loud, lots of tour groups, some rooms are very small, service nothing to write home about. Ritz has a strange lay out. It used to be a department store. The W in my opinion, is just tacky.

Windsor Court has excellant service, it's quiet, bar on second floor is very good. You cannot beat the service.
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 07:58 AM

I stayed for 4 nights at the Monteleone last April for the FQ Fest. Cannot speak for rest of the year but it was a lovely hotel. We were four friends so got a suite which was nice though VERY expensive. We had Room 1462 which we did not ask for but that is where they put us. When we got home we looked online and found it is the most haunted room in the hotel! We had some strange things happen during our stay which is why I did some research.
The Carousel Bar was so crowded EVERY time we went in that we never did stay for a drink!
The restaurant at the hotel where breakfast is served was wonderful.
There is a small grocery story just down the street where is handy to get wine, drinks for the family, snacks etc.
Loved the hotel and the pool on the rooftop is small but really nice.
Enjoy!
My husband and I are staying at the Hotel Le Marais this April but before the FQ Fest.
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 12:52 PM

Loved the Monteleone when we stayed there in April a few years ago. We had drinks in the Carousel Bar every night but this was before the big renovation that was recently completed.

We also stayed at the Omni during a different visit in May; also lovely. The pool is nicer at the Omni, imo. Both are perfectly situated for FQ visits. The rooms were much of the same muchness; hotel staff at both properties is top notch.