Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans- 30something Girls Trip- HOTEL HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
I am in the midst of planning a girls weekend to NOLA however am finding it hard to pick a hotel.

We are looking for a hotel that has the following and am hoping that someone can help me narrow it down to a few choices.

- Very clean, at least a 4 star
- Great outdoor pool
- Walking distance to French Quarter but not so close that we can't sleep at night
- Decent hotel bar to start the night- this is a nice to have

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
A
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 05:52 AM

I love the Royal Sonesta. Though it's on Bourbon Street, if you get a room overlooking the pool, you won't hear any noise at all. The inside corner rooms are the biggest.

They also have a nice bar.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 08:53 AM

I would definitely get a hotel IN the FQ. The noisy part of the FQ is really just a few blocks on Bourbon Street. If you wander around the FW, esspecially the part between Jackson Square and Esplanade Ave, you will be surprised how quiet and residential it is. And like Susan says, even if you have a room in a hotel on Bourbon Street, as long as you aren't facing the street, you'll be fine.

If you stay in a hotel that is walking distance to the FQ, you will likely be in the Central Business District (CBD) which has some nice hotels, but is a ghost town at night.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 10:31 AM

We have always enjoyed the Monteleone.

http://hotelmonteleone.com/

there is a rooftop pool. Smaller, but more than adequate.

The Carousel Bar is a great New Orleans bar.

It is in the Quarter, close to the action but quieter.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 06:55 PM

I LOVE the Royal Sonesta as well. Has a lovely pool, great bar that has live jazz every night called Mayfields. Bartenders are GREAT! Not only can you start your night there, you can end it there as well too. It's located right on Bourbon, and you can ask for a room with a small balcony that overlooks the pool and not Bourbon, so it's quiet. I haven't stayed at the Montelelone, but I hear it's pretty good too, and you'd be happy with either.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 09:17 PM

People frequently praise the Monteleone and the Royal Sonesta here. I recently stayed at the Roosevelt, and it fits your description too. It's a famous old New Orleans hotel that was recently purchased and renovated by the Waldorf Astoria group. It's a gorgeous, upscale place, and it's more expensive than most others, but hotel prices overall are surprisingly low in New Orleans. The Roosevelt is the current home of the Sazerac Bar, a beautiful, classy place for cocktails. But just in case you're in a hurry and need to combine two activities, there's a bar out at the pool too.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 05:39 AM

Some of Our favrites:

Dauphine Orleans http://www.dauphineorleans.com/

Iberville Suites http://www.ibervillesuites.com/

Monteleone http://hotelmonteleone.com/

le Richelieu http://www.lerichelieuhotel.com/
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 05:47 AM

After going to NOLA regularly for the past 18 years, we've made the Ramada Inn on Bourbon our home away from home. It's centrally located in the Quarter, so no car is needed. They have Bourbon/Toulouse Street balcony rooms that are wonderful for people watching, but if you want it quieter the back rooms facing the courtyard and pool area will fit the bill. (Don't be surprised if you find the pool ends up not getting used since there's so much to see and do in New Orleans!)
Here's their website if you're interested - I'd be more than glad to help you with any questions you might have.
http://www.innonbourbon.com/index.html
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 01:09 PM

If your group would be interested in a penthouse apartment rather than a hotel, I can recommend The Penthouse at Jax. Has 4 bedrooms, outdoor rooftop pool, lots of balcony space overlooking both the FQ and the Mississippi, We joined some friends there in May and loved. Just 2 block to Cafe du Monde.

www.thepenhouseatjax.com
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 02:19 PM

I think the Monteleone is exactly what you are describing. I've never stayed at the Royal Sonesta, and I would consider it based on what others here have said, but I'd still likely be worried about noise.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 11:04 AM

Hotel Provincial is in the FQ and has a nice pool.