Hotels in New Orleans

Old Jun 18th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in New Orleans

Hello all,

My husband and I are taking a trip to NO for our 2nd wedding anniversary from August 6-10. I am looking for some recommendations on hotels in the French Quarter. Right now, we are looking at Omni Royal Orleans and Dauphine Orleans. I'm leaning towards these two because they are within our budget (around $135/$140) and have some nicer looking pools to relieve ourselves from the humid weather. They also seem to have some great NO charm without seeming too outdated. The cheaper room in Royal Orleans seems to be pretty small, but we don't spend too much time in the room and have spent many nights in itty bitty European hotel rooms.

Does anyone have any advice or prefer one over the other? Or a third hotel to throw into the mix?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 12:25 PM

Hi, we stayed in the Hotel Le Marais on Conti Street which is only about 50yds or so from Bourbon Street. We found it very nice and good value. But you mention the swimming pool and to be honest that was the one negative thing about the hotel. It was too cold to use when we went anyway (late February), but it didn't look too inviting, I must say.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 12:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like the Dauphine Orleans. We stay in the more expensive Hermann House rooms across the street, but the hotel rooms are fine. The pool is very small so if you just want to cool off, it will be great. If you are thinking about swimming laps, you will be disappointed. I love the DO.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input!

Definitely wouldn't expect to be doing laps, just for cooling off would be great! Guess I'm leaning towards DO since it got a vote! Plus the free wireless is nice (RO charges). Although the roof top deck at RO is very tempting... hard to decide!
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 04:25 PM

Both are nice . . my preference of the two would be the Dauphine . . great location, close to bourbon St but far enough to not be bothered by the commotion . . Our room at the Royal faced the street and was very noisy . . I understand the ones facing the courtyard are quitter.

We are like you . . a room is to sleep in
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 05:09 PM

We just stayed at the Hotel Monteleone and I highly recommend it. The location is great (we walked EVERYWHERE!) and it is such a classic NO hotel. It has a great rooftop pool too! There is a carousel bar in the lobby that is very popular as well. We walked by the Omni quite a few times as well, and it looked very nice from the outside.
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 05:29 PM

We like to stay at a B&B called Monrose Row. It is right outside the French Quarter, but walking distance to Frenchman St for the music, the quarter and rhe ricer. The biggest bonus is Cindy the owner is wonderful, a great NOLA resource.
It is much nicer than a hotel and the breakfasts are great.
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:17 PM

I vote for Dauphine Orleans. It's been years since I've stayed there. The pool was very small. Breakfast could be taken outside to the area around the pool. I'm not sure if they still have a jitney that would give you a ride to different areas of the Vieux Carre. Olivier House on Toulouse is very nice. Many of the rooms are on two levels with the bed/beds upstairs and bath and sitting room downstairs. They are centered around the courtyard and are easy to access. The rooms upstairs are accessed by way of a warren of narrow stairs and hallways, but they are also nice, some have balconies. We actually stayed in the honeymoon suite because it was all they had left at that time....beautiful with a wrap around balcony. Great FQ ambience, however, it's been about 15 years since I have stayed there. I must say you are very brave going in August. Sweltering heat/humidity until well into October.